Menominee Mi Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All depends on what type of diving you're looking for. Please let me know and I'll be able to help.

To be honest, the shallowest (is that a word?) wreck that's recognizable is in 80 feet of water. There is the Sydnee O'Neff (sp) that's in about 15 feet of water and there's the Green Island Wreck that is pretty broken up but those would require a boat/charter (M&M Diving). If you're looking for shore diving there's some pretty interesting stuff behind Perkins (there's a boat launch behind it (advice - DON'T park on the hotel grass, they DON'T like that). I can get you coordinates, there's some carts, and anchor, etc. out there. (some nice freshwater sponges too). The lighthouse makes a real nice shore dive if you're into fishing (fishing gear galore!). It's a pretty easy entry and a nice dive with lots of fish. It's pretty cool to to around to the entrance of the river and watch it flow over you (your gear will stink afterwards). The bass will follow you around. If you have a boat, there's a couple of other spots that I can give you where there's log piles, anchors, etc. Lot of junk including bottles, etc. Let me know.

One more thing... The Bay is never consistent with viz. One day you could have 30 feet and the next day it could be less than 2'.

DOkie,

Thank you for an informative post.

No boat that is usable for diving, just sailing.

I would rather go on a boat dive if they offer them in the area. I can't find a web site for M&M diving. I will have a newly coined OW diver with me. He hasn't been in cold water yet, just Florida and the Caribbean.

Regards,

Froid

Froid: M&M Diving - 906-863-7330 (Bob Berg). Not sure where you are calling from but we are on Central time here and Bob is usually available from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Bob runs a small dive shop out of Menominee and is a PADI instructor. He also has several dive masters that help him out if you're interested. Please don't take this the wrong way, but the Bay can be interesting to dive. Not sure if you'll want to do some of the deeper wrecks, but they can be low viz and have a tendency to silt up rather quickly. Lights are a must. Surface temp is running around 59 right now. Below 30 feet it drops to low to mid 40's. Bob does have rental gear and tanks if you're interested and he will request to see C-Cards.

What on earth brings you to the Menominee area?

What on earth brings you to the Menominee area?

The family has a few summer houses on M-35. I don't make it to Menominee very often. We are usually in and out in a few days. I haven't thought of diving there before and it just crossed my mind to ask for this trip.

Is M&M diving on the way out of town on M-35 by Spies(sp) field? I will

I don't take anything on the Great lakes lightly, I grew up racing sailboats on the lake. A DM would be the only way to go for a first dive in the area. Plus we would need to rent a 7mm wetsuit. I don't have one for the Munchkin and he would need it. I am not sure if he is going to like 59 degree water.:D We have decent lights, nothing too fancy.

Regards,

Bill

Bill - Sailboats huh? My husband and I had one once. It was named Patience. We didn't have any!!! It amazes me to watch them out there!!! You guys are brave!

M&M diving is located on U.S. 41. After you come over the bridge from Wisconsin (I'm making an assumption here) and make a left hand turn at the court house to go towards M-35, you'll go through one light and Bob will be on your left hand side right before the Citgo Station (his shop is him home and it's on the backside of the Citgo). His boat is usually parked on the side and he has a sign out front. You went way to far if you get to Spies.
Both my husband and I help out Bob (him as a DM and me as a grunt/go-for/guide/hold this/help them/get in and tell me how bad the current is....) so if you want, just mention that to Bob and he'll give us a call. Otherwise he has a few DM's that are all great. It's no carribean diving, but I love it..... You're munchkin will have bragging rights now!!! (grin)

DOkie,

I have an email out to the other divers in the family that are also coming for the week. Trying to get a few more to join us. Does Bob have a minimum that he will take out in the boat? Does he have scheduled trip coming up? I am travelling in Europe for a few more days and calling back over to the States on the cell gets the boss upset when he sees the bills. As for the DM, I will always support a fellow SBer. :)

You missed some awesome weather here today! 89 degrees and that was on the water!

Bob doesn't have a minimum (if he feels the need to fill the boat, he just calls around and sooner or later one of us agree to go - grin) but he will run for two people, 4-comfortably on a two tank dive, and six - well you better like each other... It also depends on where you're going and the weather. I don't want to lead you on. This is a Menominee Michigan charter operation. Bob's a licensed captain, the boat is coast guard certified, but like all of us here, he does have a budget for the shop. If you guys want a dive master and the boat is full of family, it's no problem to just have us follow you guys out in our boat (we do it to stay in the good graces of our LDS - the commercial work comes in handy in the winter so we never charge - Bob does a lot of favors for us and he's a pretty good guy). Besides it's an excuse to get in the water!!!

He doesn't have any trips actually scheduled. He does a few out of town trips in the summer but is pretty much up for diving in the bay at any time. My husband mentioned to him that you might be calling and he's looking forward to it.

Hope you have a safe trip home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom