Question Thunder Bay Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travis Smith is now running charters out of Alpena Marina.
His contact information is 616-402-4246 tjismith@outlook.com.
I am booked for this year and wouldn't be able to help. Reach out to Travis and see if he can help you.

Monohansett - 20ish ft. Excellent little dive. But you need a charter. DM Wilson about 45ft. Boat too. There are others.

The trouble is finding a charter. Great Lakes Divers just sold their boat to someone else.

Most of the other boats that visit the area are booked by entire groups.

For fills and shore dives, check with Joe Sobczak at Thunder Bay Scuba. He’s not doing charters any longer, but he will be able to rent gear and advise on shore dives. I’d give his shop a call.

Are you folks used to colder water?

Make sure to visit the NOAA Marine Sanctuary museum. It’s free and very good.

I did a trip there in 2018 and will be back in September.

Many Great Lakes charters to northern Michigan are filled months ahead. Walk on divers are iffy. It’s not really something you do at the last minute.

I’m up to the Straits this weekend. The group leader got the dates last summer. I booked my spot last wi ter.
Thanks for the advice, this information is very helpful. We dive in drysuits. So yes we are cold water divers.

I had a friend from Canada come over (recreational Diver so we were of no help) in 2018 and he wanted to do the Montana and the Allen. No dive charter, but the shop up there hooked him up with a fishing charter that took him out to the wrecks. Me and my dad did the same thing in 2006.
Which shop played middle man?

Is it buoyed or marked?
No, too close to shore. But easily accessible. Stay off the one homeowners property though. He has locked horns with TBNMS over rights to the shore part of the wreck.

As for your question on the shop. It was across the street from the NOAA museum as I recall. We have our own compressor now so it's been a long time since we visited that shop.

Thanks for all the information! I ended up diving with Captain Travis Smith, the new owner of Great Lakes Divers. He let us book last minute and we dove on a Tuesday. 2 dives, Monohansett and Montana shipwrecks. The day before we did a nice shore dive at Rockport Recreation area. It was a great trip! I definitely will be back to Alpena someday!

Thanks for all the information! I ended up diving with Captain Travis Smith, the new owner of Great Lakes Divers. He let us book last minute and we dove on a Tuesday. 2 dives, Monohansett and Montana shipwrecks. The day before we did a nice shore dive at Rockport Recreation area. It was a great trip! I definitely will be back to Alpena someday!
I'm glad you enjoyed it and he was able to get you out. Come back, there are a lot of nice wrecks in that area.

The Monohansett and Montana are both great dives. Glad you were able to get on a boat.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2070.jpeg
    IMG_2070.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2069.jpeg
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom