MEGALODON shark tooth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morgan River- South Carolina

Or you could buy one online for about $2000 from a fossil dealer. That actually sounds like a good dive trip. South Carolina looking for shark teeth, as long as they are not still attached to the shark you'll be all set. These little fellas were 70' long.

A massive 7 1/4 inch serrated shark tooth was found in a coastal river bed in South Carolina by fossil hunter Vito Bertucci. The fossilized tooth belongs to carcharodon Megalodon, a prehistoric 70-foot, 70,000 pound version of our modern-day Great White. To locate the tooth, and hundreds of smaller ones like it, Bertucci must battle Tiger and Bull sharks, alligators, cotton-mouth snakes, sea wasps (jelly fish) which can carry fatal stings...all in water that is usually pitch black, filled with strong currents. 1

OK, I stand corrected it may be easier to get them away from a live shark. It's the snakes and alligators that scare me.

1. Stolen from some website about Megalodons.

ScubaNorth:

Or you could buy one online for about $2000 from a fossil dealer. That actually sounds like a good dive trip. South Carolina looking for shark teeth, as long as they are not still attached to the shark you'll be all set. These little fellas were 70' long.

A massive 7 1/4 inch serrated shark tooth was found in a coastal river bed in South Carolina by fossil hunter Vito Bertucci. The fossilized tooth belongs to carcharodon Megalodon, a prehistoric 70-foot, 70,000 pound version of our modern-day Great White. To locate the tooth, and hundreds of smaller ones like it, Bertucci must battle Tiger and Bull sharks, alligators, cotton-mouth snakes, sea wasps (jelly fish) which can carry fatal stings...all in water that is usually pitch black, filled with strong currents.

OK, I stand corrected it may be easier to get them away from a live shark. It's the snakes and alligators that scare me.

bull shark no thanks ....
i would rather play with the alligators then mess with the bull.

check out this link lots of shark teath .. but i want to find one ont get one off ebay
http://search.ebay.com/Megalodon-Sh...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

ScubaNorth:

A massive 7 1/4 inch serrated shark tooth was found in a coastal river bed in South Carolina by fossil hunter Vito Bertucci. The fossilized tooth belongs to carcharodon Megalodon, a prehistoric 70-foot, 70,000 pound version of our modern-day Great White. To locate the tooth, and hundreds of smaller ones like it, Bertucci must battle Tiger and Bull sharks, alligators, cotton-mouth snakes, sea wasps (jelly fish) which can carry fatal stings...all in water that is usually pitch black, filled with strong currents.

You must have been talking to Vito! HA! Not quite as bad as that diving around here...close, but not quite. I've been diving for teeth since the early 80's.....not like it used to be. There are still a few around, but the beds have been worked pretty hard. Used to be you could find them on the surface, now you have to dig, dig, dig. You find somebody wants to drop $2K on a tooth, let me know...or $1K, or even $500.

Not just the Morgan River either, there are several more around here that still hold teeth.

Heck I thought Vito Bertucci was a made up name. I lifted that blurb off some website, I should have given credit with a foot note. I was kidding about buying one online. When I put megalodon in google that was the price range one site was selling them for. Ok here's were I get curious 70,000 pounds how did they fit in a river in the first place? Just how big do they grow rivers in South Carolina? I lived off the TN River for a bit and that was big in places but a 70 foot shark would have to go out to sea to turn around.

river rat:
You find somebody wants to drop $2K on a tooth, let me know...or $1K, or even $500.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=2264529772

Well looks like ole Barncar is willing to go $480.00 plus shipping. Have to admit that is one sweet looking fossil (see Link).

barncar ( 36) US $480.00 Aug-27-04 06:35:14 PDT

bill4wjeiv ( 0 ) US $475.00 Aug-27-04 11:49:36 PDT

ameagle2 ( 1149) US $401.00 Aug-26-04 19:53:03 PDT

barncar ( 36) US $400.00 Aug-23-04 06:46:25 PDT

Seriously thank you for the input, swap us some war stories about how you go about finding these fossils. Maybe we can tell you about the dangerous sand dollars and moon snails we have to fight off to get to the great clawed crawlers in the Gulf of Maine.

Another place to look, mostly for smaller teeth is off Brownie's Beach along the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland (I think it's Anne Arundel County....if you want specific directions, message me and I can give them to you). I found a 2" tooth there and a dolphin vertebrae in less the 4' of water. The local museum excavated a fossil whale skeleton from not too far (less than a mile I think) from there here a couple of years ago. You can also sift the sand on the beach (or have a non-diving friend do that) and find lots of smaller teeth. The viz isn't that great especially when you start mucking around.

If you are really interested try Venice Beach in Florida. Just don't try diving there in the winter months. Visibility is terrible.

Gabriel90512:
can anyone tell me where you can find a shark tooth fossil.
any good hunting grounds off our coast?

Gabe

I have heard from another member that he plans to dive the Cooper River around Charleston, S.C. for just what you are looking for. Never been there myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom