MEGALODON shark tooth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cooper River is a beautiful blackwater river near Charleston, SC. There is pretty good viz in the Cooper. Just like most of the other rivers around here, it too has been hit very hard. No Vito is a real guy. Personal friend of mine and QUITE a character. I met Rodney Fox through him.....in the Morgan River as a matter of fact. Not knocking your finds, but 2" teeth are really common down here....not usually something you would even pick up. Tooth diving in the Morgan and the Ashepoo is by FEEL, there is NO viz......usually so much crud in the water, you turn on the light, it just reflects back in your face. I don't even carry a light. You rarely pick up a small tooth and realize you have a tooth...... pick up a five or 6 incher and you KNOW you have a tooth. I have a link somewhere with Vito and myself. I think I posted here once...will see if I can find it again.

ScubaNorth:
Ok here's were I get curious 70,000 pounds how did they fit in a river in the first place? Just how big do they grow rivers in South Carolina? I lived off the TN River for a bit and that was big in places but a 70 foot shark would have to go out to sea to turn around.

Very good question! I don't know how familiar you are with the great state of South Carolina, but if you find the capital (Columbia ) on a map, you'll see it's about 150 miles from the coast. 70 million years ago, Columbia was the beach. The area I live in (Beaufort) was several hundred feet under water. If you have never seen the National Geographic show "The Fox and the Shark", you'll see Vito and Rodney Fox diving for teeth here in Beaufort. The video says the Cooper but that was just to keep the world out of one of Vito's hot spots. Vito also builds the jaws out of fiberglass, makes molds of the teeth and mounts the fake teeth in the jaws (the real teeth would be too heavy and are too valuable).

Sounds like a great place to dive. The Viz is slightly worse than our average in NE. Good article, makes me laugh, I lost a light a few weeks ago, maybe it'll be back.

If anybody is interested in hunting for Megs in the South Carolina Lowcountry area drop me a line at divewolf@hargray.com I lead groups on the hunt for these incredible fossils. Warning: I require divers to be a minimum of advanced certified and you are resposible for your own state required lisence.

Yeah.. we are all devastated over the loss of Vito. Just so hard to believe that someone as experienced as Vito would lose his life diving...only consolation is he died doing what he loved...he was quite a guy. We assisted with the recovery efforts from Monday until Wednesday with no success...he was recovered by Sheriff's Dept team on Thursday.

I live in Calvert county in Maryland and go fossil hunting regularly along Calvert Cliffs. I have found 3 megalodon teeth, the biggest one is 5 1/4". I've got a crap load of smaller teeth from other prehistoric sharks, crocodile and porpoise, and whale also ray dentures, plus vertebra and bones, shells, barnicles, etc....

I can pretty much guarante I'll find some fossil teeth everytime I go out, but in 16 years I've only found the 3 megalodon teeth.

Gabriel90512:
can anyone tell me where you can find a shark tooth fossil.
any good hunting grounds off our coast?

Gabe
Venice Florida is shark tooth capitol of the world... Caspersons beach is a great spot, about 150 yds from shore on the bottom side of the pier. The megalodon teeth ther.. There is also a place in South Carolina that is loaded with them, very murky water and strong current, but good results.. DO a search on Yahoo for megalodon teeth and look for the sellers in SC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom