Meet N Greet XX: Gilboa April 25-27, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put me down for fruits Ted. - Apples, oranges, bananas.

I will probably bring a few bratwurst/buns/condiments also.
And my portable grill.

OK... Dont worry about the grill though I got one that rides along in the bunkhouse all of the time. So we already have one of those.

Remember, you don't have to have your dive guy show up, I'm sure Ber could give you a hand with the suit if you borrow it. Again, I think we can work something here! Just think, you might be able to even meet my sisters Corgis!

Ken
My only problem might be openwater students, that would mess with my ability to help with the drysuit. There are plenty of experienced drysuit divers who can help a newbie to a drysuit, wouldn't be the first "unofficial intro to drysuit" event to happen at a M&G :D

Man, I leave this thread for just one day and look what's happened to it: "spicy sausages". "male heaters", "doubles", "quips for points", "barley beverage running". If you kids don't straighten out, no Keilbasa for you!
:11: Quick, hide the booze and girls...Dad's home!

Maybe we should start a list of things Guy's Want to Hear at a M&G
Now how are you going to make THAT stay within the TOS with this group? :popcorn:
Ber :lilbunny:

Remember, you don't have to have your dive guy show up, I'm sure Ber could give you a hand with the suit if you borrow it. Again, I think we can work something here! Just think, you might be able to even meet my sisters Corgis!

Ken
Well now...I can say I was once victim of an "unofficial dry suit lesson"...courtesy of Mitten... Of course, I ended up with my fins slipping off the end of my feet so they wobbled freely as I ascended feet first laughing so hard I nearly choked...

But then that's less to do with the instruction and more to do with the fit of the suit. Best to stick to my semi-dry until a find a dry suit not made for a 6'2" boy!

Well now...I can say I was once victim of an "unofficial dry suit lesson"...courtesy of Mitten... Of course, I ended up with my fins slipping off the end of my feet so they wobbled freely as I ascended feet first laughing so hard I nearly choked...

But then that's less to do with the instruction and more to do with the fit of the suit. Best to stick to my semi-dry until a find a dry suit not made for a 6'2" boy!

Hey now, we don't call them "victims" :D TG should be in good shape because she and Ken have similar builds, the booties are the question, I'm not sure how close their shoe sizes are. That's what causes the wobbly fin issue :wink:

Kt-gobucks- I used to chop everything up myself... but after enough times of chopping up those danged tomatoes only to find out they taste like nast, I've resorted to canned crushed tomatoes. With all the other stuff that goes in, it's better that way. You don't have to rely on what Kroger has in stock. I'll leave the "hot" salsa mild if you want to chop up peppers- we can add them in in the morning, let the juices mix (Betail- get your mind out of the gutter) and it ought to be ready by the time anyone dares to try it... someone is bringing water, right? Where's that list?

Ken/Ber- I am under strict orders from my dive guy that I am not to receive unofficial dry suit lessons. So, if Ber ain't available, and the Dive Guy doesn't come... I'm just there for the party. He says I could wind up having a bad experience and not liking a dry suit whereas I would otherwise love it. The problem with the Dive Guy is that whenever I don't listen to him, he winds up being right, and that just isn't good for my ego. I'm trying to con him into coming up and diving on Saturday- we'll see. He doesn't get along with Gilboa (if ya know what I mean).

Betail- things that men want to hear from a woman at a M&G:

never mind, I'm not going there... Denny is watching... (and I think El O is, too...)

As someone who took the official Dry suit class. And was thankful that I didnt have to pay for it. I thought it was a waste of money. It sounds to me like your "DIVE GUY" is just looking out for his main interests his pocket book. But that is just my opinion and my opinion only. There are any number of Good diver with good dry suit abilities that would take the time and dive with you to make your experience as safe and fun and enjoyable FOR FREE at the Meet n Greet. As I have said before You dont have to come to meet and greet to dive. I will be lucky if I dive at all this year I havent decided.

Hey now, we don't call them "victims" :D TG should be in good shape because she and Ken have similar builds, the booties are the question, I'm not sure how close their shoe sizes are. That's what causes the wobbly fin issue :wink:
I believe in my case it was due to the pant leg being so long. :no The fin wasn't wobbly until it slipped past my toes! When the first one slipped off I got to experience one fin swimming, not fun...so we fixed it, but only for a minute. The next thing I knew both fins were past my feet, pant legs fully extended, and Mitted laughing at me. Nice... :rofl3::rofl3:

Ken/Ber- I am under strict orders from my dive guy that I am not to receive unofficial dry suit lessons. So, if Ber ain't available, and the Dive Guy doesn't come... I'm just there for the party. He says I could wind up having a bad experience and not liking a dry suit whereas I would otherwise love it. The problem with the Dive Guy is that whenever I don't listen to him, he winds up being right, and that just isn't good for my ego. I'm trying to con him into coming up and diving on Saturday- we'll see. He doesn't get along with Gilboa (if ya know what I mean).
You can have official lessons and hate the drysuit as well, been there done that and it was the drysuit's fault not the instructor's :wink: Everyone else LOVED their drysuit, I literally dove mine for YEARS before I got to the point where I could honestly say I would rather dive the drysuit than go completely naked in 40 degree water. The fit of the suit is what's going to have the biggest affect on your love it/hate it experience and I think Ken's suit will fit you pretty well. I should know by next week if I have students going.

I believe in my case it was due to the pant leg being so long. :no The fin wasn't wobbly until it slipped past my toes! When the first one slipped off I got to experience one fin swimming, not fun...so we fixed it, but only for a minute. The next thing I knew both fins were past my feet, pant legs fully extended, and Mitted laughing at me. Nice... :rofl3::rofl3:

That's where TG has an advantage, she's as tall as Ken is so telescoping legs shouldn't be a problem. I've done the drysuit wrestling match many times but never with suit legs that were longer than my legs...yikes! :11:

As someone who took the official Dry suit class. And was thankful that I didnt have to pay for it. I thought it was a waste of money. It sounds to me like your "DIVE GUY" is just looking out for his main interests his pocket book. But that is just my opinion and my opinion only. There are any number of Good diver with good dry suit abilities that would take the time and dive with you to make your experience as safe and fun and enjoyable FOR FREE at the Meet n Greet. As I have said before You dont have to come to meet and greet to dive. I will be lucky if I dive at all this year I havent decided.

I'm sorry, I must not have been clear. He's not charging me- unless I want the card. Which I really don't care about. He just wants to be sure I don't jump in the water with some yahoo who doesn't know his... well, I'm not going to say... you can use your imagination. So before anyone thinks he's a money grubber, he's not! This is the guy who has talked me out of expensive gear I don't need and sold me stuff that I could afford instead (and no, not because he gets a bigger commission).

Ken and I are very similar in size. And I have man feet. Size 10 womens- size 9 mens.

The Dive Guy has a neoprene wetsuit, too, that he had a buddy drop off at the store for me to try- so, if he goes, I'll dive. If not... home brew for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom