Medical O2 regulator to DIN adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, the above link isn't the one I'm thinking of.

The right one looks similar, but has an adjustable flow rate. I'll try to find it later this evening. Sorry.

couldn't you easilly modify the O2 regulator by taking out the pins that they have and modifying the seal disc, if you look at the old 1/2 valves they are very simular to the medicl tank valves any way. but if you knew somone that was handy with a mill they could mill an insert that could be placed in between the tank valve and the regulator that would allow for conversion.

:confused: I guess I am confused, but do you have a SCUBA tank that you keep 100% O2 in? I would think the question would be to find a way to hook a SCUBA regulator to a medical tank that way you could use the O2 in a demand flow type regulator?

While I have never seen the unit, this looks like an interesting device which could be an answer to the OP's question:

RescuEAN Device

It is a "regulator" that attaches to the LP hose and will provide continuous flow of whatever gas is in the bottle. What I don't know is if it works with 100% O2 or if it must be a lesser EAN mix.

Medical regs are designed for medical tanks, which generally have working pressures around 2200 psi.

Most DIN scuba tanks have working pressures closer to 3500.

So a medical reg on a DIN tank would likely be underrated for the pressure it is exposed to.

If you are planning on using a Deco tank as your just in case medical tank what happens if the accident occurs after the tank has been used?

No matter how you slice it, you need to have a dedicated "medical emergencies only" tank. I'd bet you can get a medical tank cheaper than a scuba tank.

While I have never seen the unit, this looks like an interesting device which could be an answer to the OP's question:

RescuEAN Device

It is a "regulator" that attaches to the LP hose and will provide continuous flow of whatever gas is in the bottle. What I don't know is if it works with 100% O2 or if it must be a lesser EAN mix.

Peter, this seems another way to resolve my "problem"! Thanks for the info! It certainly makes sense and based on some info as long as unit is clean this should work for higher percentages of oxygen as well (since it is after 1st stage it is at lower pressure so less issues.

Thanks once again!

Medical regs are designed for medical tanks, which generally have working pressures around 2200 psi.

Most DIN scuba tanks have working pressures closer to 3500.

So a medical reg on a DIN tank would likely be underrated for the pressure it is exposed to.

If you are planning on using a Deco tank as your just in case medical tank what happens if the accident occurs after the tank has been used?

No matter how you slice it, you need to have a dedicated "medical emergencies only" tank. I'd bet you can get a medical tank cheaper than a scuba tank.

If you are having O2 deco tank you should probably be closer to 2400psi (or less) in the tank due to issues with scuba regs. O2 reg I have is 100% O2 compatible for pressures up to 2400psi. (Many people forget to read the details in the reg and many manufacturers leave that important info out I guess.)

If one has an adapter for scuba tank to medical regulator and the dive is with 100% O2 deco chances are that at least some of that O2 gas is still available from various members of the dive team.

Last edited:
If you are having O2 deco tank you should probably be closer to 2400psi (or less) in the tank due to issues with scuba regs. O2 reg I have is 100% O2 compatible for pressures up to 2400psi. (Many people forget to read the details in the reg and many manufacturers leave that important info out I guess.)

If one has an adapter for scuba tank to medical regulator and the dive is with 100% O2 deco chances are that at least some of that O2 gas is still available from various members of the dive team.

For something intended for emergency use that is a very scarey phrase. You really should have a dedicated emergency tank.

You can probably find a medical reg on e-bay that uses a 1/4" pipe thread, then use one of John's adapters.

Oxygen Stuff - Fill Whip Ends - Din to 1/4'' Male NPT - Northeast Scuba Supply

He has one of these listed, but it's been out of stock for a while now.

Oxygen Stuff - Medical Oxygen Fittings - CGA870 to 1/4'' NPT - Northeast Scuba Supply

The CGA 870 to NPT adapter was made by Global but doesn't seem to be available anymore :( I have been waiting for one as well.

For something intended for emergency use that is a very scarey phrase. You really should have a dedicated emergency tank.

Many divers have 100% O2 for deco and being able to access this gas on the surface is a good idea. Using a scuba reg would require a nose clip.

Most medical regs have a much higher rating than the common 2200psi medical O2 supply pressures. Mine are rated to 4000psi so putting one on a scuba tank is not an issue with the correct adapter.

Back
Top Bottom