Medical O2 Bottle for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White Stag sold valves and manifolds for the 1/2 inch straight pipe thread (O ring). This might be the same as .750 fine, I don't know. Some SCBA bottles use the same thread as the White Stag valve. Of course, many manufacturers made the 1/2 inch tapered thread which fits older, steel O2 bottles. I believe your medical tank is 26 cf capacity. The medical tanks are very light and buoyant. Probably would be a nuisance.

I have used an old K-valve that was 1/2" o-ring sealed that I believe was an old Sportsways or White Stag in an aluminum O2 tank as well as in a firefighter's SCBA aluminum tank. The valves are hard to find. It took me a couple of years of asking around before I got one. I also found the bouyancy of the tanks a problem. Get an O2 regulator that is a liter flow or a demand valve and use it for diving related emergencies. That would be the most practical use for an oxygen cylinder.

Funny, I suggested that and got someones smart assed answer for my trouble.

Bigcape:
The numbers on the tank are as follows:

TC-3ALM139 MEDILUX PRAXAIR
DOT-3AL2015 BX19815 LUXFER 01A99

My question is can I use this tank, buy a new valve for it and have it as a deco or mini-stage bottle?

If so what is the max pressure and cfm of it? Is it worth having?:huh:

thanks

I guess my 2 cents are if you don't know how to read the markings on a tank you have no business doing deep/decompression diving.

Bigcape:
I was given an O2 bottle today. The kind you would see an elderly person wheeling around with them or in a hospital. (it is full of O2)

Evedently Sherwood makes valves for med industry caus it has one.

The numbers on the tank are as follows:

TC-3ALM139 MEDILUX PRAXAIR
DOT-3AL2015 BX19815 LUXFER 01A99

My question is can I use this tank, buy a new valve for it and have it as a deco or mini-stage bottle?

If so what is the max pressure and cfm of it? Is it worth having?:huh:

thanks

Wouldn't it be easier by the time you get this bottle the new valve, Hydroed and visualed your going to be half way to a new pony bottle anyway... why not sell it as an O2 bottle to get you the other half of the way?

just a thought... If you really want a green bottle get a cover :)

Well,

Most "used" bottles will need to be hydro'd. Besides this bottle is VERY light weight which is nice for the WALK to the water. If you have ever carried stage bottles in addition to whats on your back it can be quite a work-out.

This one fell in my lap for free so why not investigate?

A hydro for 20 bucks and a 50 dollar valve is cheaper than a NEW bottle.
Try finding a used tank......99% avail are AL80's

Thanks for answering my queston........Get a cover? Ppppplease

Bigcape:
Well,

Most "used" bottles will need to be hydro'd. Besides this bottle is VERY light weight which is nice for the WALK to the water. If you have ever carried stage bottles in addition to whats on your back it can be quite a work-out.

This one fell in my lap for free so why not investigate?

A hydro for 20 bucks and a 50 dollar valve is cheaper than a NEW bottle.
Try finding a used tank......99% avail are AL80's

Thanks for answering my queston........Get a cover? Ppppplease

Well I didn't mean to be such a SA really but finding a proper valve is going to be problematic for the O2 bottle, and its going to cost you $20-50 if you can find it the hydro is $20 if it passes you just spent between $40-70 on a LP AL pony bottle while it will be a novel conversation peice most dive shops are going to look at you funny when you go to fill it. As an oxgen bottle its worth between 50-100 bucks if you sell it to someone who can use it. a brand new Al40 pony bottle is only $140 and weighs about the same at least if its like my grandmas 02 tanks. Anyway most new ponys come in hydro and O2 clean.

Oh here is a link to the tank specs you'll have to mesure the tank to know for sure but it'll be one of the 2015 psi tanks.

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/products/medical/productrange/specifications/us_imperial.shtml

The cover comment was a SA comment :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom