Medical O2 Bottle for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigcape

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was given an O2 bottle today. The kind you would see an elderly person wheeling around with them or in a hospital. (it is full of O2)

Evedently Sherwood makes valves for med industry caus it has one.

The numbers on the tank are as follows:

TC-3ALM139 MEDILUX PRAXAIR
DOT-3AL2015 BX19815 LUXFER 01A99

My question is can I use this tank, buy a new valve for it and have it as a deco or mini-stage bottle?

If so what is the max pressure and cfm of it? Is it worth having?:huh:

thanks

I dunno about the other questions, but looks like its working pressure is 2015 PSIG.

I wonder if the valve thread is the same...

Luxfer lists a 0.750-16 UNF-2B thread size for most of their medical cylinders, it might be hard to find a valve to fit it that would also work for a standard reg

Or just use it as an 02 bottle....

i can get you much info on monday if you would like, i work in the medical dept of air-gas (praxair) and i work with all of these bottles and their patients eveyday!!! i will see what i can do!!!

Some O2 bottles used the same 1/2" thread that early SCUBA bottles used. I have a manifold and a Dacor valve like that. A lot of shops won't fill them, so your best bet is to keep it as an O2 bottle.

The fact that it has Praxair stamped in it tells me you are not the legal owner and it is a leased bottle. You will probably have trouble getting it filled

Small 3AL medical tanks usually have a .750-16 UNF thread which is smaller than the one used on scuba tanks, so there is no easy way to put a scuba valve on a med tank. Some old scuba tanks used this size but the valves are just about impossible to find. Sherwood used to occasionally run off a batch, but doesn't anymore.

Small steel med tanks are another thing, since they usually use the same tapered thread as many older scuba tanks used, and used valves can be found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom