May need new wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently use an oxycheq #30 (not the mach v series) and it doesn't seem to hold air anymore. Have checked for holes and can't find any so am taking it to my lds to see if they can find out where it's leaking and see if it can be repaired.

If it can't be fixed I will have to buy a new one. Love the fact that is it so small and streamlined so am looking for recommendations on a wing that may be as close in size and shape as this one.

I use it with the oxycheq soft travel plate so need to make sure I will be able to use it with that.....or will have to buy a new soft plate and will need suggestions for that as well.

Best case is that whatever the issue is can be repaired, worst case is I have to buy new soft plate and wing.

Suggestions needed.......

you can buy new inner bladders.... Call Cave Adventurers, they're a dealer and may have some in stock. Better to do that if the rest of it is in shape. Make sure it isn't something stupid like an o-ring in the inflator etc. that is causing it to lose air.

Create a small mixture of 1/3 dish soap and water. Spray or pour on the wing when it is inflated and the bubbles will help you find the leak.

Fully inflate wing, fully submerge wing in bathtub, look for bubbles,

As Scubafanatic suggested, inflate and submerge in bath, you shouldn't need soapy water, just look for bubbles. To check just inflator unit inflate and submerge just inflater in water. Most common leaks are inflator, either end of corrugated hose where it connects to inflator or elbow and elbow or dump (opv) gasket. Fortunately if it's one of these they are very easy to fix for pennies. Most expensive part is inflator unit at a whopping $14. Is yours pre zip? Anyway, post back, hope it's not the bladder, my money's on it not being the bladder. Good luck.

If it does not hold air, then there is no way you can't locate it with the unit under water.

To think at this point that it is beyond repair is absurd.

If it does not hold air, then there is no way you can't locate it with the unit under water.

Though it may require some amount of mucking around: if the leak is very minor and the air spreads under the outer shell and doesn't come out in one steady stream of bubbles from a single spot and all that.

If it has no zip then yes I agree. I'm not sure when Oxy introduced zippers on their bladders or if in fact they've always had them. I've been diving Oxy wings, all Mach Vs, for coming on 10 years and they all have zips. Coralcruiser, does your wing have a zip? if so its pretty easy to check bladder.

Back
Top Bottom