May I ask?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverparrott

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hiya!
I'm a fairly new-ish diver ...I do have some of my own gear...basics: mask, fins, snorkel, boots,light, knife, old BCD, primary and secondary ScubaPro Octopus...
However I want to get more into diving...

I was thinking it might be a good idea to rent most equipment (suit, gauges, weights, tanks) in order to get a better understanding of what works best for me... Good idea?

Also...It is my understanding that every diver should have their own computer...for many reasons... How do I know which one is best for me...Every computer seems to have pretty much the same capabilities...with some minor differences and alternate perks to buying a certain product...
There is a lot of information to swallow all at once...all with a heavy price tag..I just want to know I am/will be making the right choices..any advice offered is much appreciated!

Hi Parrott,

Renting gear for a while is a GREAT idea imo. I did this for the first year I was certified, since, just like you, I wasn't sure if I was going to really take to scuba, and I knew that with the myriad of gear choices available, chances were I didn't know what I would really want once I was serious.

I had good rental experiences for the most part, but I was very particular in terms of examining the rental gear before leaving the shop, to understand it and to ensure that everything worked (hooked the regs and BC to a tank, checked for leaks, worked unfamiliar gear with the staff, etc.). As I dove more, met more people, and found about how I wanted to dive, I was so grateful for not hastily purchasing gear that I would have regretted.

As for a computer, that's the one thing I kinda wish I had earlier (though I don't use one now). When you're renting, you don't always have the option of renting a computer, and a lot of gear doesn't come with basic depth gauge/compass functionality either; that made me more dependent on my buddies for navigation/dive execution, which I now see was a bit sketchy. If you do have access to rental gear with computers, I do recommend trying out as many different ones as you can - there's a lot of personal preference as to what kind of display, functions, UI, and ease-of-use that can influence your decision on what kind you like, and it's definitely good to be more prepared before dropping a lot of money on such an expensive toy!

Hello and good afternoon.

I would tend to agree. Rent different equipment to find what works best for you.. do you prefer a jacket-style BC or a rear-inflate... or for that matter do you like the backplate and wing design... etc. Also check your local shops to see what brands they carry and service. If you happen to purchase a brand that isn't supported locally, then you either will need to ship your gear out to be serviced and wait for it to come back to you, or learn to service your own gear and be able to purchase your own parts.

Also, check your warranties. If you purchase some gear from authorized dealers, then they offer free parts, and all you pay is labor... parts can run a pretty penny of some regulators. You may find a better deal through a non-authorized dealer, but you have to factor in the cost of service.

In regards to computers... all computers are designed with the same basic functionality... they are made to allow you to make a dive safely and get you back to the surface. They calculate you surface interval and your repetitive dives and so on... after that, you add the bells and whistles. Mine and my wife's computers are both air-integrated. They take into account your breathing rate in your nitrogen loading, as well as give you a digital readout of air and remaining time left in your tank at a specific breathing rate. The newer high end computers feature digital compasses and heart monitors... it really comes down to what features you feel are beneficial to you and what you can afford.

Likewise, some computers have user replaceable batteries and others are factory replaceable. My SmartCom is a factory replaceable battery, but because I bought it through a shop, it has free batteries for life. When I get down to 25% battery life, they ship it out and it comes back fresh and ready to go.

Hope this helps!

Depends. If you dive 10-20 times in a year you could have owned your equipment vs. trying various rental equipment.

Since your life may depend on it, I would get the best computer that you can afford.

My recommendation is the SUUNTOs.

That's s good brand.

If you really want to keep from being bent, use tables and a good bottom timer.

Since your life may depend on it, I would get the best computer that you can afford.

My recommendation is the SUUNTOs.
First of all, dive computers aren't essential. You can dive very comfortably and safely by using tables. However, if you're doing multi-level diving and lots of dives within a given timeframe (as you would on a dive vacation), then a dive computer will give you more bottom time than diving by tables.
When it comes to selecting a dive computer, many manufacturers have reliable designs. I own several Suunto computers and I like them, but I'll acknowledge that Oceanic/Aeris, Sherwood, Tusa/DiveRite, Scubapro, etc. make reliable computers as well.
I would have to disagree with purchasing the "best computer that you can afford." Perhaps better advice might be to purchase the computer that meets your needs now and in the near future. For this reason, most people will steer you towards buying a nitrox-capable computer. Please don't go out there and buy a Suunto D9 because "you can afford" it. Your hard-earned money might be better spent on dive trips or other essential gear. Just my opinion.
Have fun and dive safe.

First of all, dive computers aren't essential. You can dive very comfortably and safely by using tables. However, if you're doing multi-level diving and lots of dives within a given timeframe (as you would on a dive vacation), then a dive computer will give you more bottom time than diving by tables.
When it comes to selecting a dive computer, many manufacturers have reliable designs. I own several Suunto computers and I like them, but I'll acknowledge that Oceanic/Aeris, Sherwood, Tusa/DiveRite, Scubapro, etc. make reliable computers as well.
I would have to disagree with purchasing the "best computer that you can afford." Perhaps better advice might be to purchase the computer that meets your needs now and in the near future. For this reason, most people will steer you towards buying a nitrox-capable computer. Please don't go out there and buy a Suunto D9 because "you can afford" it. Your hard-earned money might be better spent on dive trips or other essential gear. Just my opinion.
Have fun and dive safe.

When you compare the medical costs that you will have if you make a mistake, it becomes abundantly clear that buying the best dive computer that you can afford is SMART.:)

Back
Top Bottom