May 10 Meet and Greet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannobee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The NorCal Meet and Greet at Coral Street on May 10 is quickly approaching!

The spot is located on Ocean View Blvd. in Pacific Grove, at the intersection of Coral Street (duh!). As you drive down Ocean View from Lover's Point or Monterey, look for a grove of Eucalyptus trees at Esplanade St. Coral Street will be the next street.

Free parking is available on Ocean View and on a dirt spot near the dive site.

The tentative plan is to be there about 10am because of tidal conditions, then get a dive in, or *maybe* two. This site can be exposed to tidal currents, so the tidal swing forecasted for May 10 is:

Sat 10 High 2:08 AM 5.4
10 Low 9:52 AM -0.9
10 High 5:12 PM 3.9
10 Low 9:39 PM 2.9

The negative tide will reveal a lot of rocks at the site-that's both good and bad. The beach certainly won't look as pretty as in some of the pictures (actually, it'll be downright ugly), but you'll be able to see and wade through the rocks instead of knocking into them when you're in the water.

We'll probably be all geared up and in by 11am or so and catch the incoming tide.

Some people were concerned with currents. In the VERY unlikely event that you kicked out like crazy and sucked down all of your air, then tired yourself out after cramping up every muscle in your body, the incoming tide will bring you back into shore and closer to Lover's Point and Breakwater. Either that, or you could always surface in some kelp and spin around like ballerina and wait for the tide to slacken.:eyebrow:

I'll be kicking out a little further, to the edge of Inner Chase Reef. The vis is generally better here and there's more "stuff" to see. It will be clearly marked on the surface by the kelp bed.

Here's the write up from California Dive News:

California Diving News Scuba Dive Spot - Monterey County, Coral Street

And the one from shorediving.com, with pictures:

Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Coral Street Beach of California North, USA West

And for Inner Chase Reef, but I'll only be going to the closest spot to shore:

California Diving News Scuba Dive Spot - Inner Chase Reef

I can give a dive briefing of the site when we get there for those who haven't dived this site before. Remember, there are no facilities there, so bring what you think you'll need-food, water, gear, full tanks, empty bladder, etc.

I don't normally dive with a snorkel, but at this site there is a lot to see in the shallows if you choose to snorkel out to the dive site instead of kicking on your back.

For a backup plan, we'll probably head over to Breakwater and either try to dive there, or just lounge around on the grass.

Unfortunately I wont beable to dive that weekend since im having my wisdom toofs pulled out on the 6th....

Depending on how I am feeling that saturday, I might come down and provide some surface support for folks and take surface pics....

I have yet made it to one of these MAGs and am looking forward to one..

Unfortunately I wont beable to dive that weekend since im having my wisdom toofs pulled out on the 6th....

Depending on how I am feeling that saturday, I might come down and provide some surface support for folks and take surface pics....

I have yet made it to one of these MAGs and am looking forward to one..

We'd love to meet you so if you are up to it, please come down. Bit of advice re wisdom teeth removal- really heed the doctor's admonishment against hot/cold stuff; I didn't and the dry sockets were a really bad reminder of that.

And now- back to the planning.... :)

I might be in - wont know for sure until later in the week.

Nathan

I wish I could be there! Make sure to take lots of pics. :D

Sign me up for a rain check for the next one. Next weekend is a bad one for me, my sisters birthday, my moms birthday, and mothers day all fall within three days of each other. I will be off in Fresno for the family stuffs that weekend. Sounds like a good dive however, and one ill have to check out.

About the only other wisdom I can offer on the wisdom teeth (heh), is dont play with the holes. The tongue always likes to explore missing teeth but if you knock out the scab the dry sock that follows will not be fun. Granted diving may help (sans pain killers) since gargling salt water works wonders. :wink:

Dan- Im still in..just have to stop at Aquarius to get my tanks that are getting a vis.

Thanks
Drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom