May 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive #1
Date: Saturday, May 7, 2005
Dive Location: Cleo Street, Laguna Beach
Time: 9:22 AM
Bottom Time: 53:56
Max Depth: 48 feet
Vis: 8-10 feet
Wave height: 4-5 feet
Temp at depth: 60 Aeris degrees
Surface Temp: 68 degrees
Tide information: unavailable
Surge: 1-2 feet
Comments: Met up with the South OC Dive Club and the decision was made to head out to Cleo Street. The purpose was to find the Cleo Street Barge aka the Foss 125 (wreck dive). We all managed to find parking and then geared up. A group of about 18 divers headed into the water. The surfers were out in full force but we entered the water giving them lots of breathing room and vice versa. The surf zone was mostly sandy with the occasional well rounded boulder and interesting dips. The Cleo St, Barge sits about 800 yards off shore, making the 600 yard swim to Deadman's look easy. We kicked out and finally lined up with the magic compass headings - something about the second tower of the Hotel Laguna. I'll try and get more details!! The group of 18 split up into two. Our group found the barge, with the fantastic navigation skills held by the group’s veterans. Took a little while to find the barge but we did it!! I don't think the other group was able to find the sunken barge. The barge itself is actually pretty long and well deteriorated. There are a few really cool crevices with lobsters and a couple of nice vertical structures. We saw the usual cast of garibaldi, sheep head, senoritas and a large group of Spanish shawls. We headed back to shore and were greeted by big 5' waves. A carefully planned exit was crucial. I almost lost a fin but thanks to another SOCDC diver, he grabbed the rogue fin as it was heading onto shore. I owe him several beers for grabbing my fin. He even gave me a hand on the surf exit, which I certainly appreciated. I'm pretty happy since I didn't get tumbled in the surf and we found the barge. By the way, be sure to feed the parking meters well or you'll end up with a parking ticket like me... Here's more info on the Cleo St. Barge: http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/Foss125.htm

Dive #2
Date: Saturday, May 7, 2005
Dive Location: Crescent Bay (North), Laguna Beach
Time: 12:37M
Bottom Time: 49:16
Max Depth: 38 feet
Vis: 8-10 feet
Wave height: 1-2 feet
Temp at depth: 63 Aeris degrees
Surface Temp: 70 degrees
Tide information: unavailable
Surge: 3-4 feet

Met up with Melvin (Pasley) and Steve (Stoddu) for a nice afternoon dive at Crescent. The beach was full of divers, sun bathers, and even a fishing boat that was WAY too close to shore. The purpose of this dive was just to have a mellow, shallow dive at the reef structure close to the shoreline. We entered the water and Melvin politely asked the fishermen to take a hike. The surface chop was starting to pick up, so we descended and made our way to the reef. There was quite a bit of particulate but viz was still acceptable. We saw a nice group of black surfperch, garibaldi, senoritas, female rock wrasses, tons of purple urchins, golden and also brown Gorgonians (Sea fans). The surge was easy to ride and no problems were encountered. The guys saw a sea lion, but I unfortunately missed it. We leisurely headed back into the surf zone, greeted by easy 1-2 foot waves. I clipped my fins off too early and the current decided it wanted me to hang out for a while. Using my fins as paddles, I was able to get back into the surf zone, standing depth. Again, no surf tumbling! Yeah!! We were going to get a husky burger but they were closed do to parking lot repainting (bummer). All in all, a very nice dive and enjoyed the company of Melvin and Steve - great dive buddies!

Date: 5/8/05
Dive Location: wreck of the Moody
Time: 7am-230pm
Bottom Time: 54 mins.
Max Depth: 142 ft.
Vis: 20-25 ft
Temp at depth: 62F above thermocline, 53F below
Double 80s w/ 40cuft O2 deco bottle
Man what a awesome wreck, BIG fish everywhere! 5ft ling cod, 3.5ft treefish, rockfish galore, etc. Very little current today, virtually flat on the surface. We did two dives here before going over to the Olympic. 2nd dive was a bit more interesting as our downline got drug a bit off the wreck. My buddy and I moved it back then tied a reel to it and went along the hull, tied off the reel when we changed course then while my buddy did a quick swim through then came back to the anchor to do our deco stops. One guy said they saw a wolf eel down there too. Hopefully he is a resident of the wreck.

Last dive on the Olympic, current picked up a lot over here. Nice wreck too but no real big fish like before. Short dive with a total runtime of ~35 minutes. Beautiful day on the water. All this on the Psalty V. Six tech diving junkies having fun!!!!!!

Ross-O and I found a Wolfeel on the bow section. Went back later to get a picture, but couldn't find him again. Later, we went to the Fog Wreck where we found two Wolfies! Pretty cool that they're so close to L.A. now.

divinman:
If pictures are worth a thousand words......
Water temp was mostly high 50's up top and mid to low 50's at depth
NO SURGE
Surface flat mostly
Vis ranged from 30-50ft.
On to the pictures
Terry, Thanks for taking me on a great dive...and I'm toasty warm! Great pictures and I thank you for posting them.
Claudette

Date: May 7, 2005
Dive Location: Lobster Shack, Coronado Islands (North Island)
Time: 8:45 A.M.
Bottom Time: 44:00
Max Depth: 16 meters or 52 feet
Vis: approx 80 feet
Temp at depth: 14 C (I have an Aladin in metrics) about 57F degrees
Comments:
The viz was really great. Never had such a good viz in Socal. Very nice dive without a few spanish shawl (tried to take nice pics but they didn't turn out very good...still to work on my UW photography skills).

Dive Location: Moonlight Cove, Coronado Islands (Middle Island)
Time: 10:27 A.M.
Bottom Time: 39:00
Max Depth: 46 feet
Vis: 40 feet
Temp at depth: 57F degrees
Comments:
Nothing oustanding about this dive except the changing viz, going up and down from 20 to 50 feet. My buddy was deseperately searching sharks or seals (he was visiting and only dove warm seas) without luck but at least it was a good kicking and cardio exercise!!

Dive Location: Point Loma Kelp Bed
Time: 1:22 P.M.
Bottom Time: 42:00
Max Depth: 61 feet
Vis: 20 feet
Wave height: 2-3 feet
Temp at depth: 52F degrees
Comments:
At the bottom, there was a layer of freezing cold water (52 degrees) so after about ten minutes, we ascended 10 feet and the water was approx 60 degrees and we stayed there. However we had enough time to see a few nice things : tiny lobsters knowing that the season is over they were curious and forthcoming, two huge abalones - at least 10 inches (.in the Adriatic sea, I'm used to 2 inches abalone) under a rock, the nice kelp forest (even though I beleive the Catalina Kelp forest is much nicer).

Date: 05/08/2005
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores, North Wall
Time: 08:10am
Bottom Time: 36 mins
Max Depth: 92ft
Vis: 10 - 15ft
Wave height: 2ft
Temp at depth: 57 degrees
Surface Temp: 65 degrees
Tide information: Just past low tide
Comments: Dropped at the white buoy in front of the lifeguard tower. Got a little too deep on our first venture out to the North Wall and drifted around over nothing much at all for a while. Eventually, we headed upwards and found the wall at 75ft and explored the beginning section. Usual small stuff about and the odd sheephead, but otherwise devoid of much life. Did spot a large crab on the way back and lots of baby halibut over the sands.

Date: 05/08/2005
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores, North Wall
Time: 10:28am
Bottom Time: 38 mins
Max Depth: 81ft
Vis: 10 - 15ft
Temp at depth: A chilly 53 degrees
Surface Temp: 65 degrees
Tide information: On the way in
Comments: This time we swam 40 yards past the buoy and swam due West. As we traversed down the gully we came across a dead seal. Judging by its condition it had died recently - it was approx. 5ft in length. Continued West at 75ft and started working our way along the North Wall. This time we got much further along and the fish life seemed more abundant with many of the larger fish to be found hiding in holes. Spotted a small lobster on the way back and many more baby flatfish.

Grey_Wulff

Date: 05/07/2005
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove
Time: 4:59 PM
Bottom Time: 36 mins
Max Depth: 47 ft
Vis: 6- 8 ft
Temp at depth: 55 degrees
Surface Temp: 66 degrees

Comments: Brrrrrr!!! I think I've gotten spoiled with all my of recent dives in La Jolla- it was COLD at Shaw's! (La Jolla's been in the 60s, and Shaw's was 55F). On the surface swim out towards the reef, a group of 6 or 7 dolphins decided to come and play in the shallows around us :) Vis was less than desirable (especially compared to the great vis around La Jolla lately) and there was a sweeping surge (4-6 ft) which made the swim through a little too difficult to swim through! Followed the reef around to the point, and ended up swimming with a very friendly school of blacksmiths for a couple of minutes. There were more sea stars than I've ever seen at Shaw's before- large pink ones, knobby blues, bat stars, etc.. A fairly large ray decided to do a quick drive-by and startled us. Not a bad dive, despite surge and chilly temps.

Dive #2
Date: 05/07/2005
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores
Time: 9:59PM
Bottom Time: 50 mins
Max Depth: 31ft
Vis: 10-15 ft
Temp at depth: 64 degrees
Surface Temp: 64 degrees

With the waves picking up at Shaws, plus the surge, I decided to do our night dive at La Jolla Shores where the conditions have been calmer lately. Entered at Vallecitos, where the "spotlights" from the resort (?) illuminated the water for the entire surface swim. Decided to do a shallow descent and stay shallow for (a) extended bottom time, and (b) to see what creatures lurked in the shallow waters at night. There were rays everywhere- along with crabs, shrimp, the small cylinder like white fish that burrow into the sand, a large sand dollar bed, some sort of pipe fish, tons of baby halibut again, and a few sculpin.
My buddy and I covered our lights for a minute and just watched the bioluminescence- very cool to see if you've never seen it before! My buddy wrote on his slate that his air tasted funny (didn't notice anything wrong with mine when he tried breathing out of my reg), and we surfaced shortly afterwards.. Within a couple of minutes, I was dizzy and queasy, almost to the point of being disoriented- which made for a miserable surface swim back. It took 30 minutes of sitting down & breathing fresh air before I felt somewhat better.. I felt sick for the rest of the night.. My buddy was experiencing the same dizziness and headache (contaminated air).. felt like I had a hangover today.. blah! My dive shop has my tank & will drain it and do a visual on it.. (this tank was filled at a dive shop other than my usual one between the Shaw's & La Jolla dive which is why I didnt get sick on dive #1). Can't figure out why the headache/nausea didn't hit me or him underwater though; glad it didn't though because the dive itself was excellent!!!

Frank O:
This octo was the coolest part of the day! You can sort of see in that second shot how it was gearing up to go for a jog. Once it got going, I felt like it should have been the star of a Nike or Gatorade ad. It was cruising!

As for the rest of our diving... yeah what Frank said! It was a great day and Captain Rich along with his crew Lena and Jordan were very actively keeping things moving along. Paige the DM was also very nice. I recommend this boat if you want to get a quick couple of dives in and be back by 1pm.

Oh, by the way, I enjoyed our 45 min. rolling stop. Unless your Melvin Pasley, how else can you do an hour dive and come up with 1500 psi? :eyebrow:

Christian

surf - 2-3' at start, 4-5 on exit
surge - whoooo baby - 3-4'
tide - on way to high tide
vis - decent at 8-10' (lights really help)
temp - toasty at 61F
overall, on the colman scale - a 7
(did I do that right?)

Met up with Tom R. Purpose of the dive was to collect
some mussels for a Marine Bio Class (I had permission
from DFG - Thanks Spenser!)

We saw about 7 different octo...first was a green, one
at the end of the reef was a two spot. He let me
touch him (with my gloves off) and he touched me back.
While looking for mussels, I spotted a realllly
really tiny octo, about the size of my thumb! he was
sooo cute.

Also, spotted a 3 inch moray. Also very cute, with
very cute tiny shrimps cleaning him. One bigger moray
was out of his hole (until the light hit him). He was
about 3 feet long.

Had some spg errors, thought I had 300 psi left, when
I sucked the last of my air. Went to Tom and he
willingly obliged his octo. We did a semi slow ascent
(only in 12 feet of water at the time) into the mess
of the surgey wavey waters at the top of the crevice.
Yikes!

Sorry, Tom. Didn't mean to freak you out.

Swam in from there, got rolled by a 5 footer. First
time I've been rolled in about a year. No harm, no
foul, as I didn't loose any equipment nor the mussels!

Whoowho!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom