May 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 5/12/05
Dive Location: Montage (South of Goff Rock)
Time: 3:30pm
Vis: 10-15
Surge: light

Lot's photogenic blennies and Spanish Shawls

IMG_2362%20blenny.jpg

Date:5/12/05
Dive Location:Redondo Canyon
Time: 6:08-7:37
Bottom Time: 35 and 32 minutes
Max Depth:105, 55
Vis: 5-10
Wave height: 3
Temp at depth:53F
Surface Temp:?
Tide information:?
Comments:Met up with Jeff Shaw, Claudette and Scott for a late afternoon dunk into Redondo Canyon. We planned to drop down to 100 feet or so, head south then back uphill to look for Lion Nudibranchs. Claudette did something none of us ever has. She forgot to turn on her computer. :D I ascended with her, but there is still remnants of red tide at Redondo and the surface vis was zero. I reached the surface just after she did, but I just missed her. The wind and current was pushing me north, so I kicked south for ten minutes but never found bubbles from the rest of the team. Never wanting to pass on a dive when I'm already in the water, I dropped down and had a leisurely solo dive. I even found a ten dollar bill to make it a worthwhile dive. When I got to the beach I met up with the other three. Scott was planning a second dive with another group and Claudette, Jeff and I still had about 1400 psi left, so we went back in and had a great dive. Claudette found an 8-10 inch kelpfish, I found a two inch one and we interracted with plenty of various flatties, octopi and a horn shark. We hung out in the parking lot and rehashed what a fun dive that was. If any of you get the chance to dive with Claudette(HBDivegirl) jump at the opportunity. She's so upbeat and her enthusiasium for diving rubs off on all those around her.

MaxBottomtime:
Date:5/12/05
If any of you get the chance to dive with Claudette(HBDivegirl) jump at the opportunity. She's so upbeat and her enthusiasium for diving rubs off on all those around her.

yes - claudette is awesome to dive with! claudette - did you take a picture of phil so you can prove he exists? :)

where was this 9 inch kelpfish? There is no kelp at redondo, what was it doing there?
:)

Scott

Now that's what I call a fish with personality! It reminds me of he character Rigel from the sci-fi series Farscape.

Very cool!

Christian

scottfiji:
where was this 9 inch kelpfish? There is no kelp at redondo, what was it doing there?
:)

Scott
The back stroke??? (...groan..sorry...) The 9.37" yellow/gold kelp fish was keeping perfect station next to a bit of fresh Macrocystis frond of the same lovely color..at about 45fsw. We were heading north, at the point where the canyon slope begins to get steeper and more interesting. (BTW, while kayaking in King Harbor, I've seen yellow kelp fish in the shallows next to the breakwall, hanging next to Macrocystis fronds in less than 2 feet of water.) The 4" brown kelp fish was nestled in next to ribbons of dark brown feather boa kelp. Perfect color matches! What next in the canyon...Garibaldi??? There's always something new and surprising down there. If I had remembered to turn my computer "on" for the First descent, I probably would have gotten to see the lion nudibranch that MaxBottomTime found...mea culpa! Thanks, wonderful buddies, for being so understanding about such a knuckle-headed newbie mistake...arrrgh. I owe y'all one. I'm so glad we all still had such fun. Is there anything better than mucking happily about on the bottom of the sea??? Wow!

MaxBottomtime:
If any of you get the chance to dive with Claudette(HBDivegirl) jump at the opportunity. She's so upbeat and her enthusiasium for diving rubs off on all those around her.
I agree! Diving with Claudette rocks absolutely! Everyone should give it a try.

Christian

Date: 13 May 05
Dive Location: Malibu
Time: 08:14 a.m.
Bottom Time:48:00
Max Depth:36fsw
Vis: 10-15
Wave height: 2-3
Temp at depth:52 Suunto Degrees and cold.
Surface Temp: 55 Sunndto Degrees
Tide information: Low Tide 08:12 PDT 0.21 feet High Tide 2005-05-14 00:45 PDT 4.48 feet

Comments: Swam out about 200 yards to a nice large kelp bed and rock reef structure. Spotted what we believe to be a soupfin shark of about 3 feet length and had a plesant dive.

Friday the 13th
Deadmans
Bottom time 45 min
Max depth: 51ft
(SUUNTO Dive Manager Average depth 165ft, Ya, figure that one out)
Vis. over 20ft at times
Temp 53 Suunto degrees

Met up with Jetfixer, Ann Marie, and Diver Jan to do a twilight and night dive. But after being chilled after dive #1 we dropped the night dive. The seas were pretty good, not much swell, vis wasn't all that great when we dropped down but by the time we hit the reef if was pretty good 15-20 or a bit more sometimes. We surfaced for a Great Sunset. The current picked up a bit on the surface swim in, but overall it was a great dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom