May 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sanddab.jpg

We'd heard the week before that Ray was expecting a light load on the Sundiver for Memorial Day, and was thinking of getting around Catalina's backside. Surprise, surprise, come Monday it was a full boat and he was turning divers away. It was also a little too frisky for the backside. Onboard were perhaps eight or nine DIR divers, four of which brought doubles and deco bottles to do a tech dive to 150 ft.

Ray pulled up off Rippers Cove, threw out a float on a line and and dropped off the four tech divers. He then motored in toward shore a little and invited anyone interested to drop on another line he left here to a reef that rose to about 105 ft. A trio of divers opted for this bus stop. Finally he pulled in and anchored in about 35 ft of water for the rest of the contingent to get wet. Under other circumstances I would have picked the second spot, but nursing an ailing lower back I thought I'd take it easy.

Dive #1
Date: 05/30/2005
Buddy: Sergio and Stephanie
Max depth: 41 ft
Run time: 50:00 min
Visibility: ~35 ft
Bottom temp: 66 F
Temp at end: 66 F
Gas mix: 32% nitrox

Due to my back I decided not to gear up on the boat; instead I got into my drysuit, slipped off the swimstep and let them hand down my rig, which I donned in the water. This proved to be fairly tedious. Meanwhile, I arranged to follow around Sergio, who runs scubadivernet.com, and his friend Stephanie, who as a newly minted diver was on dive #7. She was also trying out a backplate and wing for the first time, calling for assorted tweaks of weighting, picking up rocks from the bottom, etc. Several large bait schools. Sergio said he saw a lone barracuda shadowing one school.

Dive #2
Buddy: Jon and Susan
Max depth: 74 ft
Run time: 52:00 min
Visibility: ~45 ft
Bottom temp: 63 F
Temp at end: 64 F
Gas mix: ~26% nitrox

With the tech contingent back on the boat, Ray headed up to Isthmus Reef and anchored toward the western side, around which there's a nice wall that drops down to about 100. Jon, Susan and I headed down to a depth of about 70 ft and began a leisurely swim along the wall, shadowed by other teams of doubles-toting divers. At one point we ran into 3 or 4 fried-egg jellyfish, and had to be careful not to cross paths with their tendrils. Also several bright orange tube anemones, a white band that looked like an egg ribbon of some kind, and a blackeyed goby with full cheeks chowing down on a piece of kelp. Having the smallest gas supply with my single steel 100, after 25 minutes or so I suggested we start gradually angling up. Susan demonstrated an uncanny ability to find the boat.

Dive #3
Buddy: Jon and Susan
Max depth: 32 ft
Run time: 44:20 min
Visibility: ~40 ft
Bottom temp: 63 F
Temp at end: 63 F
Gas mix: ~22% nitrox

For the final dive of the day Ray anchored at Indian Rock -- a shallow site, but one that proved to have some points of interest. Before long we ran into a large cabezon, which sat for a photo session. Then, emerging from one cluster of kelp, we saw a bunch of fish swarming around a spot against the rocks. We discovered they were taking turns grabbing pieces of a dead lobster. Next to the carcass was a large, gray moray eel. After a few photos, we continued on and I ran across an outcropping of Kellet's whelk eggs -- strange, we were just talking about those here last week. And finally I came across a couple of speckled sanddabs, one of which hung around for a little while I got a few photos (see above). All in all, a nice day out on the water!

headhunter:
I'm surprised that Jim (mcabejc) didn't join me on the tour. I thought he was really going to be into the adventure this weekend. I think we scared him with that 40 minute surface swim to our exit point on Saturday. That was a bit warped for the first dive to kick off the weekend. He probably thought they'd get worse from there! :11:

Christian

Yeah, looking back on it I wish I had joined you. After reading your dive reports I'm kicking myself.

Actually the surface swim at Montage was a great workout. Once I got warmed up with the 20 min surface swim out to the drop down point, the swim back was a breeze. But by the time we got done with lunch at Ruby's on Saturday, it was getting a lot later than we had planned, so we headed back.

But it's the viz, man. I figured (erroneously, apparently) that viz would be crummy everywhere (red tide in Malibu, poor viz in Laguna, poor reports from Redondo, etc.). When you're spending all of the dive making sure you don't get separated because you can barely see your buddies, the fun factor drops precipitously. For me, at least.

scottfiji:
Frank, great detail on the sanddab, amazing! It looks like he changed color to match the rocks, and he stood still for you.

Actually that shot was right as he was getting edgy and ready to split. With skittish subjects like this, I usually start out as far away as I can get any kind of decent shot, and then veeeerrrrrry gradually move in while quietly snapping away. (As quiet as you can be with two strobes going off in the fish's face.) So the first few pics were of the sanddab head-on (he probably still thought his camouflage was working). At the time of this particular shot, he'd just turned 90 degrees. Shortly after that, he was showing the camera his tail ....

mccabejc:
But it's the viz, man. I figured (erroneously, apparently) that viz would be crummy everywhere (red tide in Malibu, poor viz in Laguna, poor reports from Redondo, etc.). When you're spending all of the dive making sure you don't get separated because you can barely see your buddies, the fun factor drops precipitously. For me, at least.
When I looked at the Santa Monica Bay area from up on the road heading into Redondo from Palos Verdes, I could see the red tide in the Santa Monica Bay area. It looked awful, but didn't go around to the south side of PV point or very far north judging from the nice vis we had at Leo Carrillo. If I remember correctly, Scott reported a great vis at Point Dume as well.

Frankly, I thought the dives in LA County were quite a bit better than those we did in Orange County.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom