May 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan:
Memorial Day Weekend

Some sort of Dorid according to my 'new' Nudibranch ID card. I then spotted an odd plant, or what I thought was a plant. It's tubular in shape like a vase, then has two valves at the top. one pointing down, the other pointing up. Kind of reminded me of how the heart valves look. John caught a Cabezon by hand in which we enjoyed, along with other fish that were caught by club members for yummy fish tacos that evening.

Thanks for the report Jan. Wasn't the point of the nudibranch card to give the species and not just "dorid", you don't need a card to recognize its a dorid! :)

I believe your odd plant is a tunicate. Probably a stalked tunicate.

Cabezon should not be killed, they don't occur in large numbers and have been overfished, and can be easily wiped out by divers.

Scott

Diver_Jan:
... I then spotted an odd plant, or what I thought was a plant. It's tubular in shape like a vase, then has two valves at the top. one pointing down, the other pointing up. Kind of reminded me of how the heart valves look. I have no idea what this was.

Your "valve" most likely was a sea peach. You see a photo on page 99 of the "Guide To Marine Invertebrates"

Diver_Jan:
We continued to explore the vast rocks, walls, and crevices with amazement when my son started getting bouyant. He was diving with a AL 80 rather in which he was underweighted. I attempted to push him down to get some rocks for his pockets, but it was too late for that.

I was going to exit and try to fix my reg. As I made my way over to climb out over the rocks, I noticed I did not have my mask!

As you are a dive master, I'm suprised that your son was so seriously underweighted. How do you account for such a big difference between his regular kit and the rental?

Were you wearing your mask around your neck or on top of your head? DM should set an example to new divers.

Glad your trip was fun.

I'm still exhausted from my extended weekend of diving from South Laguna Beach to north of the Ventura County Line. I said I wanted to go dive lots of places that we don't dive as often and I got to dive some of those. Hopefully, it's coherent and others who were there can fill in the blanks with more specifics.

It was a bit too long to fit into one post, so I divided it into Part 1: Saturday and Sunday and Part 2: Monday and Tuesday.

Saturday

Dive #1
Date: 05/28/2005
Buddy: Jim (mccabejc), Thomas (sb_diver)
Max Depth: 33 ffw
Bottom Time: 37 min.
Visibility: 5 ft. above 20-foot thermocline, 15 ft. below
Wave height: 1 – 2 ft.
Surface temp: 64°
Temp @ depth: 57°
Gas mix: Air (21%)

Comments:
If looking out to sea, our entry was to the right of Goff Island. We accessed this beach via the ramp, which is past the first and second set of stairs to the beach from the covered parking lot. We did a 20 min. surface swim out past the reef that was breaking surface until the depth finder said that we were in a location about 30 feet deep and dropped down.

Thomas told us that he only had 1800-psi in his steel 72, which takes 2250-psi. Jim and I agreed that this would be fine and chose to dive this way with Thomas. Thomas called the dive with 500-psi in 37 min. We decided to exit the water at the first set of stairs, which turned out to be a 40 min. surface swim. :11: That coupled with the long walk to and from the parking lot had us all pretty tired, so we decided to go down the street for lunch before deciding whether or not to do another dive.

Conditions were OK, but not worth the effort that went into this dive. With higher visibility, this looked like it would be a great dive. Unfortunately, most of the structure we found seemed to be above the thermocline, which was at 20 feet. We only saw sand in deeper water. The second set of stairs looked like it would have led to a great location for snorkeling. From what we were told this or the first set of stairs would be the normal place to enter at this dive location.

I look forward to diving this location again with better conditions.

Now that we had worked up a voracious appetite, we all went to Ruby’s Diner for a hearty lunch.

Dive #2
Date: 05/28/2005
Buddies: Thomas (sb_diver), Seth (Stryker)
Max Depth: 59 ffw
Bottom Time: 39 min.
Visibility: 15 – 20 ft.
Temp @ depth: 57°
Gas mix: Air (21%)

Comments:
This was a great dive. Much better vis than on our morning dive and good structure. The entry from in front of the brown house with white windows was better than straight out from the stairs. Much more sand and fewer rocks.

If you head straight out from the brown house with the white windows and line up the bell tower directly north on your compass it puts you in the right spot to drop down and continue directly out from the house under water. As we were told it is about 3 sand burms out from there. The ribs of the structure stick out of the sand about 2 – 3 feet. It lies parallel to the shore.

We missed the barge heading out. I thought I saw it about 15 – 20 feet to our left, but it was out of visual range by the time I caught up with Seth who was out in the lead. Thomas found it at about 41 ft deep after we turned around at a depth of 59 feet and headed back to look for it. We almost missed it again because it was at the edge of our visibility.

On the way out to 59 feet, we saw a playful seal watching us from about 20 feet away. The barge had plenty of life on it.

Sunday

Dive #1
Date: 05/29/2005
Buddy: Robert Phillips
Location: Laguna Beach – Crystal Cove State Park/ Scotchman’s Cove (Reef Point)
Max Depth: 43 ffw
Bottom Time: 54 min.
Visibility: 15 ft.
Wave height: 1 – 4 ft.
Temp @ depth: 58°

Comments:
We accessed the beach via a long path/staircase with a switchback in the middle. We had to stumble over lots of big rocks in the entry. Waves were only 1 – 2 ft. on entry, so it was no big deal.

We swam out toward a rock that broke the surface every time a swell passed by and went to the right of that between it and the rocks that always break surface to reach the outside of the reef. Passing over this structure it was very shallow and at times you could see the reef only 3 feet below you or your fin would occasionally bump a rock. If you kept looking below at where you were going you could clearly stay in the deeper portions of this passage and avoid bumping into the structure. Surge was low and waves were not big, so there was no present danger. It was low tide. At high tide there would be quite a bit more water here.

The dive itself was very nice. We saw a moray eel, an octopus, a bat ray and the usually assortment of fish, nudibranchs, sea fans and sponges.

On the exit, we thought we were coming out in a sand channel but there were still enough rocks to make you stumble. Waves had picked up to 2 – 4 ft., but there were fewer rocks, so it was a fairly easy exit.

Next stop, the Pacific Whey Café for some great lunch with our little band of merry divers. It was in the mall on Reef Point Dr. right across the street from where we were diving.

Dive #2
Buddy: Thomas (sb_diver)
Max Depth: 80 ffw
Bottom Time: 35 min
Visibility: 20 + feet below 60 foot thermocline, 10 – 15 above
Temp @ depth: 59°

Comments:
We swam out to the lineups expecting to drop down on the reef. We dropped in about 80-foot deep water and then expected to hit the reef by swimming back toward the shore. What we had not counted on was that a current had taken us past the tip of the reef. When we got to about 40 feet, we turned left running parallel to the shore to try to find the reef.

The only structure I was reading with my depth finder was over 100 feet away and we kept chasing after bumps in the sand reading about 40 feet away. By the time we actually ran into Deadman’s, we were at the very western end of it and Thomas was already hitting his turn pressure with his steel 72. So, we simply continued to follow the reef into shore.

Also, part of the dive plan was to practice an air share when Thomas got down to 800-psi. This left him plenty of air to work through something with his own tank if anything came up. The added benefit was that we were able to continue the dive toward shore and avoid a long surface swim to make our exit.

It turned out to be a nice relaxing dive to practice navigation and buoyancy on although I would have liked for Thomas to see more of Deadman’s Reef. Since it was his first time there, of course, it was the one time I completely missed the reef. Too bad it didn’t happen when I was with someone who had at least seen this reef before.

Dive #3
Buddy: David (dazedone)
Location: Laguna Beach – Pinnacles between Deadman’s and Seal Rock
Max Depth: 47 ffw
Bottom Time: 57 min.
Temp @ depth: 52°

Comments:
This was a “twilight” dive where I got to really see the difference between a UK Light Cannon and 10-watt canister light. Compared to the canister light it looked like I wasn’t even using a light. I’ve really got to get a canister light at some point. It obviously makes a huge difference.

It was a very leisurely dive starting from very close to shore and heading toward Seal Rock to look at the Pinnacles. There was lots of great structure and since it was starting to get dark there were more “critters” coming out and milling around. We came up right in front of our planned exit and strolled out onto the beach. It was time to go for a nice dinner at Pei Wei’s.

Christian

Monday

Dive #1
Date: 05/30/2005
Buddies: David (dazedone), Thomas (sb_diver)
Max Depth: 59 ffw
Bottom Time: 60 min.
Visibility: 20+ ft.
Wave height: 1 – 3 ft.
Surface temp: 61°
Temp @ depth: 51°

Comments:
After spending 2 days in Orange County with marginal vis we were hoping for some better vis and decided to try going to an L.A. County beach. We had heard of reports of a red tide in Redondo Beach and hoped that it was confined to the north side of Palos Verdes. We were well rewarded. This was a fantastic dive with no red tide, great vis and lots of things to see.

Since it was low tide and none of us were in the mood to deal with the rock entry with all the slippery kelp on the rocks at Long Point, we opted for the longer surface swim to Long Point from the pebble beach. We saw Phil Garner and Jeff Shaw in the parking lot and later found a mask on the pebble beach, which turned out to be Jeff Shaw’s. He apparently just continued the dive with his back up mask and found his mask and snorkel sitting on a rock where it was easy to see but not in danger of getting washed back into the ocean.

I was using an AL 80, David was diving with a steel 120 and Thomas had a steel 72. The plan was to dive until Thomas reached 800-psi and then let David practice an air share with him until David got down to below 1000-psi. We would then continue our dive until someone hit 500-psi and then surface.

On our surface swim back to the exit, we were delighted to find two dolphins swimming less than 30 feet away from us between the shore and us. This was the icing on the cake for a really great dive.

Tired from the previous days of diving, we called it a day and went out for Mexican food.

Tuesday

Dive #1
Date: 05/31/2005
Buddy: Shah (Scubahound1)
Location: Leo Carrillo State Beach (to the right of lifeguard tower 2)
Max Depth: 35 ffw
Bottom Time: 63 min
Temp @ depth: 54°

Comments:
When filling my tanks at Hollywood Divers after our great dive at Old Marineland, Shah (Scubahound1 on ScubaBoard and one of the instructors there) asked if I wanted to do a dive at Leo Carrillo the next day with he and a couple of others from the dive club (Ed and James). I told him that I’d have to let him know later that day since I was quite tired from all of the surface swims over the last 3 days. That night I decided that I’d have my second wind by morning and that some easy dives would be great.

I’m glad I decided to go! The vis was great and again no red tide that was reported around the Santa Monica Bay. By the way, as I was driving to Redondo Beach from Old Marineland the day before, I could see the red tide in the water and it looked awful.

We went in by Lifeguard Tower 2 and headed out to an orange buoy that was straight out form the tower and put us at the outer edge of the reef system there. All of the usual suspects were there to greet us as we made our way from one little bit of reef to the next. It was rewarding dive.

Dive #2
Date: 05/31/2005
Buddy: Shah (Scubahound1)
Max Depth: 34 ft.
Bottom Time: 30 min.
Visibility: 10 – 20 ft.
Wave height: 1 – 3 ft.
High tide:
Low tide:
Temp @ depth: 58°

Comments:
Since I started the diving for the Memorial Day Weekend in the South Laguna Beach Area, I liked the idea of crossing over the Ventura County line and diving the big kelp forest out straight out from the stairs at Deer Creek Rd. It made me feel that I had really gotten in the “adventure weekend” that I was hoping for with variety.

Shah was a bit cold on the last dive, so he put on an extra thermal layer under his drysuit for this dive. However, he was a bit under weighted when we were in the middle of the kelp forest, so we surfaced in the middle of the kelp. He managed to squeeze enough air out of his dry suit to allow us to swim out under the kelp canopy instead of doing a fairly long kelp crawl.

Vis varied from 10 ft. to 20 ft. I had not dove in a kelp forest of this size for quite a while. It was so thick as we moved through it that you really needed a light because it was so dark. By the way, this was on a sunny day with the sun directly overhead.

Moving though this thick kelp forest was like moving slowly though a Louisiana bayou or a fog covered bog in a rickety little wooden skiff. I kept expecting to see a lantern dimly burning in the distance on the rickety porch of an old wooden house built on stilts. It was like going through Disneyland’s Pirates of the Caribbean under water.

For me, this was the most spectacular dive of the weekend and brought back memories of what I remember the whole coast being more like. This sense of eerie adventure is what I really love about diving.

Ed, James, Shah and I finished off out weekend by going to Duke's in Malibu for their Happy Hour menu. What a great way to round out an already great weekend!

Christian

Christen, Your my hero. Deer creek is nice, but you should have done Staircase for a truely great kelp forrest. Like I said before the weekend started. Two words about diving Malibu - Kelp Forrest and parking ok so maybe it is 3 words.

pasley:
Christen, Your my hero. Deer creek is nice, but you should have done Staircase for a truely great kelp forrest. Like I said before the weekend started. Two words about diving Malibu - Kelp Forrest and parking ok so maybe it is 3 words.
Since I was joining another group Tuesday in Leo Carrillo and they suggested Deer Creek for a second dive, I thought it sounded great since it was so close. However, I do look forward to going to Staircase. I love thick kelp!

Christian

MaxBottomtime:
Great reports Christian! That's really covering a lot of territory, although I think you wimped out by not beginning the weekend with a night dive Friday in San Diego. :D
Yeah, I really should have driven down to San Diego to do a dive on Friday with one of the San Diego crew and shot up to Santa Barbara today to do a dive with sb_diver. That would have rounded it out nicely. Maybe next time. :crafty:

I'm surprised that Jim (mcabejc) didn't join me on the tour. I thought he was really going to be into the adventure this weekend. I think we scared him with that 40 minute surface swim to our exit point on Saturday. That was a bit warped for the first dive to kick off the weekend. He probably thought they'd get worse from there! :11:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom