Maui Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from my Maui trip and figured I would give a trip report. This message turned out to be longer than I thought, so there are the cliff notes at the end.

Before I left for Maui I made a reservation for a trip to Lanai with Extended Horizons and was in contact with Doug at Shaka Divers about a few shore dives. I am the only diver on this family trip, so I was happy to plan 2 days of diving.

We arrived in Kaanapali Saturday afternoon and settled into our rooms, then met up for dinner and cocktails. Sunday started out a little rough. When I got up and turned on my phone to call Extended Horizons to confirm the boat on Monday, I had a message waiting. It was the dreaded “you boat has been canceled” message. They explained that I was the only person to sign up for the trip, but they could try to get me out later in the week. I called back and said I received the message. I can understand not taking 1 person out on a boat, but I was bummed. With such a small dive window I had to scramble to find another boat.

Since it was Easter I had little hope of finding another boat for the next day. So I decided to call Shaka Doug to see if we were even on for diving on Tuesday. He actually called me back Easter Day and said we were good for Tuesday because he would take me with a group that he already had. So now it was back to finding a boat! I could only remember Lahaina Divers, so I gave them a call. As luck would have it they go to Lanai on Mondays. After all that it was time for lunch and some afternoon snorkeling at Black Rock. Aside from the amount of people the snorkeling was good, lots of fish and even two turtles swimming around.

Monday was here and time for the boat to Lanai. It was an interesting mix of divers on the boat. There were 2 groups of about 8 divers each and a class of 2 small kids doing there final AOW class. I was a little shocked at how young the AOW kids looked, but I had my own diving to do. Our guide which I can’t remember his name looked like silent Bob from the movie Clerks. He gave us a great dive brief for both dives that day.

The 1st dive was the 1st Cathedral. It was a great dive! Visibility was 80+, since I normally dive 10-20 in Laguna California I was happy. One piece of advice, be one of the first people into the cathedral before everyone piles into it and stirs it up. Towards the end of the dive they let us wander around and said to be back with 700psi to do a safety stop and return to the boat. I still had plenty of air so I went looking at a baby frog fish we found earlier and wondered around the reef. Then I heard someone banging there tank like a mad man. I noticed it was the guide and he was heading away, so I caught up to him and noticed a pod of dolphins coming right next to us. There was about 15-20 of them swimming next to us, it was pretty cool. After that a little more looking around and then my safety stop and the end of the dive. It turned out to be a 42 minute dive with 42’ avg depth.

The 2nd Dive was at Seargent Major. A cool set of reef with lots of coral and fish to look at. I started to get a little cold towards the end of the dive with a 3mm shorty, but it was not bad. This dive was 47 minutes 34’ avg and 74F water temp. The crew was nice and the diving was great and it was only 45 minute boat trip from Lahaina. They had sandwiches after the 1st dive and cookies after the 2nd dive for snacks.

Tuesday was diving with Shaka Doug! I met him at a resort down by Wailea where the other divers were staying. It was easy to spot the scuba bus when he pulled in and the bubbles are a nice touch. It turns out the divers ended up having to cancel so It was just Doug and I. I was happy Doug was still willing to take me out for 2 shore dives.

The 1st dive was 5 graves. WOW. This was a great dive. But before the dive Doug wanted to go over a dive brief which included many of the “Shaka” signs that I might want to use during the dive. It was a little corny, but Doug is a very cool guy. When we first dropped under I thought I was diving in the Disneyland submarine ride or something. I was a nice sunny day and all the coral and sea life was great. We looked into a few of the caves and saw plenty of turtles. It was really weird where the fresh water was mixing with the ocean, the strange hazy looking water. There were also boats of snorkelers up top, but I hardly noticed them. Doug was pointing out all kinds of things along the way. I would definitely dive there again. That dive was 1hr 2 min with 800 psi left and Doug said 60-80’ vis.

The 2nd dive was up the beach a little, I think it was called Ulua Beach. Parking was a little busy, but everyone found a spot. A dive brief then we were back into the water. It was another good dive. We followed the reef way out to the sand beds hoping to see a ray with no luck. But along the way there was more than enough to look at. I had a full 3mm suit and was not cold at all. It turned out to be another 1hr 2 min dive with Doug. Doug had been taking pictures during both dives so I caved and bought them. He is supposed to be sending them to me in the mail. I can’t wait to get them!

Wednesday was a little more snorkeling at Black Rock and we flew home Thursday.

CLIFFS:

1st Boat Cancelled, found another and dove at Lanai (1st Cathedrals and Seargent Major)

2 Shore Dives with Shaka Doug. Awesome! (5 Graves and Ulua) Waiting for pictures in the mail!

Sounds nice

You definitely confirmed my experience, that it is worth the boat trip to go out to Lanai. That's where Peter and I saw the whale, and it was the same kind of thing -- late in the dive, burning gas on the top of a pinnacle, when the DM got all excited.

I've heard nothing but good things about Shaka Doug's guided shore dives, and your report is another good one.

You definitely confirmed my experience, that it is worth the boat trip to go out to Lanai. That's where Peter and I saw the whale, and it was the same kind of thing -- late in the dive, burning gas on the top of a pinnacle, when the DM got all excited.

I've heard nothing but good things about Shaka Doug's guided shore dives, and your report is another good one.

The guided dive with Doug was the way to go. After the 2nd dive we were talking to some other people on the beach who dove there for the 1st time and they only went 100 yards or so off the shoreline. But when talking to my uncle who was on shore during my dive, he said Dougs flag became so small he thought we were going to the next island. There was just so much to look at and we were able to take our time. So it was the right choice for my limited time on the island.

You did the right thing by "caving" for the pictures Doug took. We dove with him in December and the CD is so special to us - great pictures and wonderful memories to watch again and again. The best part was sharing the pictures with our family (the ones that don't dive, which is everyone else).

I have some family coming in this weekend and I am hoping that I will be able to show them the pictures. I wish I would have had the time to pick them up while I was there.

Nice to hear about your positive Maui adventure.
Come back and have some more fun.
JB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom