Maui - suggested West-side ops for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be staying in Kaanapali, and the more commonly mentioned ops seem to be in the South-side like Shaka Doug, B&B, etc, and are a bit of a drive. I'm pretty much a beginner (basically just did the PADI Scuba Diver certification - the "can only dive to 40', and only with a DM" cert), so I'm not sure if there are ops (or specific tours) around there that cater to noobs? I don't want to be the guy that slows the group down.

Additionally, I'm thinking about just finishing and moving up to an OW cert if time permits (though it's hard to say until I get there).

I see Trilogy has a dive option http://sailtrilogy.com/adventures/scubadiving/ , though I haven't seen much feedback/reviews on that (not sure if they just partner with some other op), but I've seen lots of positive feedback on their sails/cruises.

Thanks

Trilogy is really a snorkel/whale watch/sightseeing sort of operation. The scuba is mostly non-certified divers doing a discover scuba dive. That's not too much different than your "can only dive to 40' and only with a DM" cert. Rather than being chosen for their beauty and fish life, the dive sites are chosen by their proximity to suitable snorkling areas and to stay within the limits of Discover Scuba dives

Lahaina Divers is the biggest operator in West Maui. Their boats usually have a high percentage of new divers. The typical divesites are deeper than 40' and are chosen for certified divers. I do recall something about afternoon boats with Discover Scuba (non-certified diver) tours --- maybe their website has some info.
Lahaina divers does a lot of certification classes, as do many others on the island.

Another possibility to consider is a "referral program". You do you classroom and pool lessons at home, and then you finish off the certification by doing just the open water dives. Call around to some of your local dive shops for more info. The advantage of doing your certification this way is that you can take your time studying and doing pool work, and get it all out of the way before going on vacation.

If you want good supervision and safety from a dive op on the west side, definitely check out Lahaina Divers. They do a good job with beginning divers and if you need to stay shallower than 40', you can easily do their afternoon charter, as those are typically less than 45' in depth.

We stay in Kaanapali and did both our OW and AOW with Lahaina Divers. We also dove with them a lot for the first couple of years diving and always enjoyed the crew and the sites. We don't dive with them much anymore because they're a little too restrictive for a more advanced diver (ie we "outgrew" them), but we booked them for the Carthaginian dive in December and are looking forward to seeing all the guys we know from years past.

BSOD: when are you coming?

I'd be more than willing to help you upgrade to Open Water Diver -- it's a relatively simple process. There's a little bit of academic work (you still have your manual, right?) -- chapters 4 & 5; about six "confined water" skills that we can do in the ocean, and then two open water dives. All in all, it can be completed comfortably in two days, or rushed through in one day.

Lahaina Divers is probably the only op up north with a boat that deals with lots of new divers. For shore dives you might also give Pacific Dive a call - they will take you to some great shore dive spots that are beautiful and within your limits. http://www.pacificdive.com

Also - seriously consider taking KrisB up on upgrading to Open Water - It won't take much more time/cost (maybe less cost actually) than doing several boat dives. Plus he will take you to some really great reef systems. (I may tag along if he lets me too - lol)

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Lahaina Divers is probably the only op up north with a boat that deals with lots of new divers. For shore dives you might also give Pacific Dive a call - they will take you to some great shore dive spots that are beautiful and within your limits. http://www.pacificdive.com

Also - seriously consider taking KrisB up on upgrading to Open Water - It won't take much more time/cost (maybe less cost actually) than doing several boat dives. Plus he will take you to some really great reef systems. (I may tag along if he lets me too - lol)

Aloha, Tim
I'm always game for a certified assistant to tag along, Tim... especially if it's you! :D

And about those really great reef systems -- I'm flexible for location, as long as there is a suitable training area... so we can do it where the conditions allow and where you want to dive! :D

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll look in to those two ops.

The referral option is a bit fuzzy, since I've already done some of the dives, and some of the classwork. Plus, classes seem to be quite a bit cheaper on the islands than on the mainland (more competitive pricing and all that). I wish I'd done a bit more research before getting the apparently uncommon "PADI Scuba Diver" cert, but it was somewhat of a spur of the moment decision while on vacation without network access, and it sounded like a good fit at the time.

KrisB: I'll be there Sept 2-6. Do you have gear? I just have the basic snorkel gear (fins/mask/snorkel). I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit in two (full?) days this trip. I may just end up doing one or two dives.

I have access to rental gear on both sides of the island. :)

The two-day plan is far from full days -- it's basically an afternoon or morning on the first day, then a morning on the second.

The one-day plan is pretty full... but depending on what you've done for the referral side, then we might be able to work something out that makes that better.

I'll send you a PM shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom