Maui Instructor reference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
Pacific Dive can be reached at (808)667-5331, If you can speak with Dan he is their primary instructor, but all the shop staff are quite helpful and friendly.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. they are open 8am - 6pm 7 days per week. Hawaii Standard Time (no daylight savings time over here if you call after Sunday when dst starts on the mainland.)
Is that Dan Bell, formerly with Maui Diving Scuba Center in the Anchor Square?

I've taken 3 specialty course with Lahaina Divers and have nothing but good thing to say about them. We were there in the beginning of Dec, and the crowds weren't very big, this equated to small groups on the boat dives. The DM's we dealt with were all professional and courtious and the crew were all great. LD has big boats and they go to Lanai (I'm sure others do as well), I highly recommend diving the Cathederals.
Have a great trip, If you want any specific answers just shoot me some questions and I'll try to answer as my knowledge permits.

KrisB:
Is that Dan Bell, formerly with Maui Diving Scuba Center in the Anchor Square?

I don't know ... I'll be taking my first class with them this month so I'll try to remember and ask.

Aloha, Tim

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh good ole Dan Bell, He was my certifing Instructor. Pretty good guy,easy going and made everything easy to understand,just didnt care for the guy that ran Maui Diving,Bill ?? He was a ***.

This Board is GREAT! I never expected this much information. Thanks to everyone for the responses. My quest continues. I have narrowed it down to 3 shops, for now. Lahaina Divers, Kapalua Dive Co. and Shaka Doug. I think it is going to come down to which I am most comfortable with over the phone and convenience (I will be without transportation for the first few days). Any other suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

michaelaz:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh good ole Dan Bell, He was my certifing Instructor. Pretty good guy,easy going and made everything easy to understand,just didnt care for the guy that ran Maui Diving,Bill ?? He was a ***.
I think it's John that owns Maui Diving Scuba Center...

And, Dan was my OW instructor, too... the only thing that I couldn't get over was the smoking habit -- half a pack between dives seems like an easy way to cause problems with diving! :)

that photo is great. He actually sent me a pm after reading this post.

Hey Michaelaz and ChrisB - sounds like the Dan at Pacific Dive. - Unfortuantely I have to agree about his former shop, After 1 visit I have refused to do business there - too bad really.. (long lecture about internet ordering... Bob at Pacific has been grateful for the business I "do" bring in instead of getting upset over the business that I "don't" - much better perspective)

Aloha, Tim

My only issue with ShakaDoug is his lack of respect for the sea creatures -- he does "bughunts" (lobster diving) off of Maui, in addition to the aforementioned photo of human contact with an endangered marine mammal. I'm very surprised he doesn't have a picture of himself "riding" a turtle...

Oddly enough, re: John @MDSC, he's the first to try to do mail/phone order work, and on some equipment comes up with prices lower than LeisurePro...

One other tidbit on Dan that would probably secure this identity, if you have heard his stories -- he used to be in the military as a crime scene investigator...

Back
Top Bottom