Maui Instructor reference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't heard of Island Scuba... but I did my certification with Maui Diving Scuba Center in Lahaina.

I would suggest checking out a Lahaina shop -- it's reasonably close to Kapalua, etc... and seems to have more dive shops to choose from.

That said, the drive down to Kihei really isn't that bad, especially at early-morning dive times... check out the shops that interest you and pick on that, not on proximity.

-kb

Kapalua is only about 11 miles from Lahaina...so about a 20 min. drive with traffic. You have quite a few choices for operators if you're looking in the Lahaina area. I have no experience with Island Scuba, so can't comment, but you shouldn't feel limited to them since you're very close to Lahaina.

Lahaina Divers keeps coming up as a place to look into. Their web site seems to offer a lot of information. I am going to give them a call and talk to them and see what my comfort level is with them. I know I am running out of time, but I want to make the right decision. Thanks to everyone for all the help. The quest continues. Anyone certifiy or dive with Kapalua Dive Co.?

I did my four OW cert dives on a referral in August of 2002 with Bill Hannan. At the time he was associated with one of the dive operators in the Kihei area, but I don't recall which one. Bill was great. The four OW dives were off the beach and were spectacular dives in their own right, with turtles, sharks, and eels. I highly recommend Bill, who is a Master Instructor and PADI Course Director.

His business card listed his email in 2002 as <WHannanDiving@webtv.net>. However, I suspect this may not be current. If you are interested, e-mail me and I will give you his cell and home phone numbers off of his business card.

P.S.- Be sure to ask Bill for a truly useful version of BWRAF......

I like the guys at Pacific Dive in Lahaina, but I've not taken any classes with them yet. I was just talking with them today however about taking my rescue diver class and they spent about 90 minutes just talking about what direction I wanted to go and are willing to learn how to do the rescue class with someone in a bp/w rig. Btw - they are my regular lds and I enjoy just going in to "talk story" with them on ocassion.

B&B is well known around the island for having good instructors (even the guys at my lds speak highly of them), so you might consider them as well, though they are in Kihei, which is about 45 min. away from Kapalua. The nice part is that you get to do boat dives as part of your course, most others are shore based operations.

Best wishes for you in your class!

Aloha, Tim

Tim, thanks for the information. Pacific Dive is one of the shops I have been trying to contact. I have not heard back from them yet. I sent an email and called, do you have a # for them? Kapalua Dive Co. was recomended by Lahaina Divers because they are right near where we are staying. Have you heard anything about them? I am really trying to get boat and beach experience while I am there. Lahaina Divers said that they would have no problem buddying up a newly certified diver on one of their boat trips. Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Please send me a message if you can with the Pacific dive shop information or someone there to contact.

Pacific Dive can be reached at (808)667-5331, If you can speak with Dan he is their primary instructor, but all the shop staff are quite helpful and friendly.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. they are open 8am - 6pm 7 days per week. Hawaii Standard Time (no daylight savings time over here if you call after Sunday when dst starts on the mainland.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom