Maui Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was reading a good article in this month's edition of "Sport Diver"; it mentioned a dive on a spot called Shark's Edge (or Ledge?). From what I read, this sounded like a great spot for spotting sharks. Is this accurate? Where is a good dive to possibly spot a shark off Maui?

I see sharks on the backwall just about every dive. I've seen them on dozens of shore dives. I'm not familiar with sharks edge/ledge. Probably a local can help but there are many names for the same place and the same name for many places, like turtle town.

I've heard of three different places called "Shark Condos", but never a "Sharks Ledge/Edge". One shark condo is at 130' on the Enenui side of Molokini backwall. There's another shark condo on the outside edge of Reef's End at Molokini, close to the point. There used to be another set of holes called Shark Condo by another dive op that was on the NW side of Molokini's Center Reef, but that collasped during the big swells of January 2004.

Sharks are very common on the backwall of Molokini and a couple whitetips swam by on my dive yesterday at Reef's End at Molokini. Whitetips are also often sighted inside the crater, although ot as often as on the backwall.

The Enenui point at Molokini is a common spot to see schools of Grey sharks swimming into the current.

Sharks are sometimes sighted on shore dives, but not as often as at Molokini. OTOH, turtles aren't common at Molokini, but are seen on virtually every shore dive in S. Maui.

Back
Top Bottom