Maui Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If you had to choose between these two for boat dives... who and why:

Ed Robinson's or B&B Scuba?

Understand they're both highly rated... done the Maui boat diving before at Lanai, Molokini, Olowalu, etc., but want to get in a couple boat dives while I'm there next month. Would like to see of the less frequented sites (Lahaina divers kept going to either Molokini or Olowalu... not much else last time I was there)

Thanks,

-B.

Might try sending a PM to charlie99 - if I remember correctly he's been diving with both of those outfits recently and can give you specifics... (correct me if I'm wrong)

Aloha, Tim

I have not dove with Ed Robinsons so I can't comment except to say I don't see any negative feedbacks about them. I do dive with B&B and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. I have logged thousands of dives on dozens and dozens of diveboats and I do admire the work ethic on this boat and also the manner in which they lead dives. They are not heavy handed as some operations and don't beat you over the head for tips at the conclusion of a dive. They'll work hard to find you a great spot to dive as conditions change each day.

They are also usually the first or second boat to leave the dock in the morning which means first pick at the first dive spot. They are usually back at the dock before other boats get their second dive started.

I enjoy how Brad will readjust the buddy teams during a dive in case one buddy breaths much better than the other. My wife is half of my size and with both of us on the same size tank there is no way I'll last as long. He monitors air and will send you up with someone else who has a similar SAC rate so your buddy will be able to continue.

fairbanksdiver:
Ed Robinson's or B&B Scuba?
&
. Would like to see of the less frequented sites ...
I've enjoyed trips with B&B, but my preference is Ed Robinson.

Both dive 2DMs each with a group of 6. Ed Robinson's boats are more roomy than B&B. B&B seems to have a higher percentage of new divers than ERDA, and my dives on B&B have always been shorter than those with ERDA.

If you want different dive sites, then try Mike Severns. The Capt and mate go for a dive during the customers' SI and often they will go exploring for new sites.

------------------

It's hard to find a BAD operator in Maui. A lot of the differences between the ops are not either in the boats or the crew, but in their customer base. Maui Dive Shop and Lahaina Divers boats will usually have a very high percentage of new divers, and must select their sites and overall procedures accordingly.

Mike Severns and Ed Robinson tend to have a higher percentage of experienced divers.

B&B and Scuba Shack kind of fall in between MDS/Lahaina Diver and Mike Severns/ERDA.

Prodiver Maui, a six pack, used to be my absolute favorite, but it changed ownership August 2004 and the new owners are still on the learning curve of how to run a dive boat.

Charlie

post with comments about other operators

The only input I can provide is this: with all the research I did on this before heading off to Maui last September, several outfits got repeatedly mentioned, and it seemed two names consistently stood out above or more than the rest: Ed Robinson and Mike Severns.

I went with Mike Severns if only because they had a last minute slot for me on a day when I had an unexpected opportunity to dive. They were absolutely fantastic, and I feel I couldn't have asked for anything more. Small boat of 12, two very fun and personable DMs and captain, some good talk about what we might see, but not too much for my tastes (some have complained that these guys babble on too long about the marine life before the dive; I didn't think so, but rather enjoyed that little part; I guess that's a preference thing) and more munchies than I can eat. I had an incredible time.

Long story short, I think Mike Severns and Ed Robinson's seemed, at least as of this last September, to be the two best outfits and pretty much equivalent.

Just wanted to relate my positive experience with the Mike Severns op.

another vote for Ed Robinsons, but if you want to do something different, look into Robinsons advanced boats, 3 dives, they go to the sites other boats won't because they expect more skilled divers on this one, last time i went my girlfriend was pretty new so we stayed away from this one, next time i'll be on every 3 dive boat i can...

I was looking at Ed Robinson's 3-tank dive, but was confused by what they meant by "advanced divers". Is this like in Key Largo where you need AOW to dive the Grove (even if you've got 2,000 dives under your belt), or is it simply a judgement call on your part as to whether or not you can do the dives??

I'm one of those that thinks that AOW when you have a total of 15 dives doesn't make you an advanced diver. For example, a friend wants to get wreck certified then go to Truk Lagoon, with fewer than 75 dives under her belt. I believe that Truk is more appropriate for very experienced divers, regardless of certification. A point which she disagrees with since she will have the "advanced" certifications. Oh well, no skin off my nose, I just won't be venturing to Truk until I have about 200 dives and a WHOLE lot more experience...but that's just a personal preference.

basically you need to be comfortable diving below 100ft, and maybe some current, although we did some drift dives on their normal boats, it just means that you can control depth, one of the dives they do is the back wall, if you can't maintain depth the bottom is a long way off...

Cool, thanks! We haven't done the backwall yet, but plan to this trip in August. I'll definitely contact them and see what their schedule is then.

great guys, the fun you'll have on those boats will make you wish you could dive with them every day..

Back
Top Bottom