Maui Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalOffshore:
We just bot back from a week in Coz diving for 5 days. We are heading to Maui in May, are there enough good dive sites for 5 full days of diving? Trying to decide if we should dive 3 or 5 days. Thinking about using Ed Robinsons. Thanks for any insight.

the crater alone has about 5 days of 2 tank dive sites, go to lanai, do the night dive and hope to see some rays (my video of the 8ft one we saw on ours is one of my favorites)

if you pick your days right you won't dive the same dive twice..

Ok, 5 days it is. We were planning on the Lanai dive and wanted to do atleast one night dive. I assume the weather in May should be great. Thanks for the insight.

you won't regret the lanai trip, if you have a camera bring it, the cathedrals offer some great pics and video..i think cathedrals 1 is much better, if you have the choice on which to dive, but i know other peole think differently

As promised, here's my review of B&B, and an additional one for Mike Severns.

I dove with B&B Scuba on the 11th and 12th of March, and had a good time. Charlie99 came along on the Friday trip, and seemed to have a great time as well. The Friday trip was nearly all B&B staff, with just a few paying customers on the boat. Saturday had a pretty full boat, but the dive groups stayed small. Like others have said, B&B leaves early and boat check-in was at 5:50am. No complaints at all with B&B, and nothing really exceptional to point out either. They're a good, well rounded dive operation.

On Charlie99's recommendation, I dove with Mike Severns on Thursday the 17th. As he said, their dive briefings are second to none, and they do an excellent job. I think the Reef's End briefing at Molokini lasted for 10-15 minutes. I like how they inform you of the conditions at various sites, and let the divers decide where they want to go. We had John and Warren for DMs, and they were both great. Oddly enough, the other divers on the Mike Severns boat were widely less experienced than the B&B trips. Don't know if that's typical, or if it was a fluke.

I enjoyed diving with both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick B&B. My reasons will seem silly to some, but it's what works for me:
  • B&B left earliest, and came back earliest. For me, being back early was a big benefit, as my wife doesn't dive and coming back early allowed us to spend more of the day together.
  • This one is really stupid... but B&B had sandwiches, my preferred surface interval snack. Mike Severns had lots of snack items, like pretzels, very fresh cookies, trail mix, and a huge variety of drinks and fruit... but nothing beats sandwiches when you get out of the water. It seemed easier to eat/drink on B&B's boat, as things were regularly offered and passed around.
  • Mike Severns provided excellent dive briefings, and allowed my input on what dive site we'd be going to. However, that isn't very important to me. Throw me under the water with air on my back, and I'll be happy.
  • $15 price difference between the two, with B&B being cheaper. Hardly worth mentioning, but has a little weight when combined with everything else.
So there you go... my preferences. Both are excellent dive operators, providing two different types of an experience. If you want true underwater critter experts, and the professionalism of a 25 year dive op, go with Mike Severns. However, if you just want to dive and be well taken care of, B&B will suit you just fine. I can see why they're the local pick.

-B.

fairbanksdiver:
[*]This one is really stupid... but B&B had sandwiches, my preferred surface interval snack. .
Blesi has promised to give my wife the receipe for those samwiches. I love them.

Has anyone done the back wall dive at Molokini? I am looking for some specs as to what makes it an "advanced" dive site. I have heard that the depth is the one thing that makes it tough. Is this true?
Thanks!

Mascenik:
Has anyone done the back wall dive at Molokini? I am looking for some specs as to what makes it an "advanced" dive site. I have heard that the depth is the one thing that makes it tough. Is this true?
Thanks!
It isn't all that advanced. You do need to be comfortable with doing a live drop into deep water. With the awesome viz there isn't a real need to go deep. I've done 2nd and 3rd dives on the center backwall where we just cruised along at 50'.

This morning I did a nice drift on Reef's End at Molokini with Ed Robinson's. 89' 60 minute multilevel. Several of the divers were relatively new. Reef's End has the advantage of starting off in an area with 60' bottom, then drifting on around to the back wall. It's a good dive for both beginners and advanced divers.

Charlie

I did the back wall, a long drift from one end to the other (gas permitting.) It was a fun dive. The way we did it, as teams got low on air they moved away from the wall (so the boat wouldn't get pushed into it) and surfaced. It can be rough sometimes and you might be in the water for a bit until the boat would get to you.

My wifes first dive as an open water diver was with B&B off the backwall. It's deep of course but you don't have to go deep if you don't want to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom