Going diving in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did shore and boat diving last fall. Mala pier is good easy dive. The pier collapsed in hurricane several years ago and one submerged section at end and too the left is a turtle cleaning station at about 30 feet. You swim out on the sout side of the rubble. There are often snorkel boats above..Turtle town and turtle reef are different locations. Town is a purpose sunk fishing boat (don’t count on this being gospel,I have only kayak there with guide) south close to Kehai. Turtle reef is about. 100+ yards from shore a mile post 14 son the highway south of Lahaina and is another cleaning station. After entry you swim out between coral heads. Great dive only about thirty feet but long swim both ways. I’m sure dive shop has good directions.
Scrap Molocini. Has not been very good since south wall collapsed several years ago. Cathedrals are interesting and hammerhead dive is usually good. Sometimes ther are Whalesharks.
Happy diving.

Don’t cancel the cathedral, that’s a great dive. All the boat dives are going to be expensive, and you aren't missing that much in the crater at Molokini, so I'd cancel that one.

I would suggest looking into a different dive op for the Cathedrals dive, though. I did it with Dive Maui and with 14 or so divers on the boat, it detracts from the experience. We were divided into two groups. and I was in the second group - the first group didn't do us any favors on the visibility in the Cathedral. I think Lahaina Divers has a more crowded boat as well. Next time I'll be looking for a 6-pack to go out there.

Highly highly recommend extended horizons nice low passenger count and the DMs are phenomenal.

Thanks everyone for the information! Does anyone know where the turtle reef dive is when accessed as a shore dive?

DougieG

So not sure if it's turtle reef but if you dive Mala Wharf you'll see tons of turtles. You'll park about here, there is a parking lot area closer to the ramp but it's meant for trucks with trailers, so don't take up those spots with your rental care. I'd recommend entering from the beach side.
Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 10.54.18 PM.png

When walking in the water there are some rocks but it's nothing bad. Then just get along the pier and get to where you can get fins on, kick tell you want to drop down. The reef is the ruins of the pier so it's really easy to navigate. The only thing to note is you are supposed to two a dive flag (available to rent from most dive shops).

Dove Mala Wharf a few months ago with my two boys. Really great dive! Lots of big turtles, a number of white tip sharks, swim-throughs are a blast, and we could hear whales off in the distance. We went to the end of the exposed pier and made our decent. For sure have a flag, I understand they are required and you could get a fine for diving without one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom