Maui Dive op experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breathing Water Really Ain't Fun...

I specifically use B and B with my kids because of their attention and fun quotient. I'm a DM and a former skydiving instructor, and teach young kids how to referee ice hockey. I know how to deal with kids (and adults) in pursuits with danger involved.

I think they do a great job of diving with kids and not hovering. I imparted in my kids at the first dive they're ultimately responsible, and they always, always do a buddy check. When I'm diving with them, I do it with them too. I also make them do tables occasionally, even though we have computers, just to keep their skills fresh and remind them not to rely on computers. They also get drilled on emergency skills in the pool before we go if they haven't dove in more than 6 months.
But that's just me. I've seen parents, with kids, on the boat, with no concept of tables, no timing device, no computer, just hoping that the dive op will protect them. That is no way to dive OR raise kids. You want kids to play with the big boys? You'd better (a) demand their respect for the rules, and (b) check them yourself.

I had the same EXACT thing happen to me fifteen or more years ago with makena coast charters as a discover diver. Second dive they didn't switch the tank, I got in the water and I was at 800 pounds. I knew enough THEN to check, I hit Steve on the shoulder and up we went. Switched out the tank, kept going. No big deal, and I don't bring it up to knock Steve, I bring it up to say it (a) shouldn't have happened, but (b) it wasn't a problem. He was more than annoyed with his crew, and I'm sure they heard about it when I left. Things happen.

I think B and B is a great dive op on an island where there are lots of them.

Thank you all that have replied to the thread. My wife and I did learn a very valuable lesson that day which will make our future diving safer.
From now on I will refuse to be rushed in any way by DM's or captains and I will personally do all checks of everyone in my group. We had a false sense of security with the DM that day and something very serious could have resulted. I hope this is a lesson to everyone who, like us, does not have the opportunity to log multiple dives a year. It is easy to feel rushed when trying to get geared up if you haven't done it in a while.

I miss Maui, it is a wonderful place and the diving is superb.

I think that's a great theme to have. I would recommend to you a refresher course every time, if you're rusty. Never rush, and develop a "checklist" that you use. I prefer to pack for a trip from toe to head (fins, boots, wetsuit, belt, weights, bc, reg, mask, etc) but i prefer to check from right foot around to left foot (fin, weights, octo, knife, reg, mask, valve, bc, bc hose, console which includes air and a check that the air's on by taking a couple hits off the reg, clips, fin, fill in the spots as needed) when I stand up to dive.
At any stage, a certified diver is definitely responsible for his own air, and equipment, and safety. And you should have enough skill to make issues like dropping a fin, losing a mask, or low on air for any reason a non-emergency. If you don't have it, practice.

BandB might have had a bad day, but I have to vouch for them. Not a bad op at all, although I can see your point. I bet Brad and Blesi wish they could have a do-over.

I just got an extremely gentle reminder of why it's not a good idea to deviate from one's standard procedures. (And coincidentally, this was with B&B, whom I only have great things to say about.)

My standard procedure after I hook up my regulator is to turn the air on, check the pressure, then turn it off (until it's time to gear up). Well, one of my trips, after getting my reg hooked up, there were too many people in the way to reach it again, so I waited until we go to the site. I mean, what are the odds that it wasn't a full tank? Pretty low, right?

So it wasn't until *after* I had the tank completely on my back that I checked the pressure -- and of course, for the first time ever, I had a low fill. (Nothing dangerous even, just low enough to cut my dive short.) So I had the annoyance of having my tank switched out while on my back as an excellent reminder simply not to deviate from my standard routine, no matter what else might be going on.

That said, even though I did discover it way before hitting the water, B&B were telling people to check their fills even while I was in the midst of this.

This thread illustrates everything that is great about scubaboard:

1) OP made a post expressing their concerns and naming names (1st ammendment folks)

2) Local dive professionals, other divers and past and previous customers chime in.

3) OP reads, analyzes and evaluates others responses and re posts

4) Dive Operation makes follow up post stating their case

5) We all lurk, monitor and read post taking into account various points of view.

6) We all learn lessons that help us become better recreational divers, buddies, and dive operators.....

Oh and btw....

Bruce
Willis
Ruins
All
Films

Except 12 Monkeys.... he was pretty good in that.

G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom