Maui Dive op experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there are two sides to every story. My personal experiences on dive charters, is they are very rushed, and that can tend to leaving things out, like basic safety checks, etc. But that is the divers responsibility ultimately. I get it now, and know what to expect. In fact, knowing what I know now, on one dive boat, there were people spearfishing, while I was diving (a dive charter) and I am quite aggravated that I was put at the risks associated with that sport, I went to dive. Lesson learned, ask first if there will be such activities. My son just got certified, and I know he needs to practice things like checks, buoyancy, etc.. practice makes perfect. I certainly would never trust anyone else with that ongoing training and responsibility, outside of the classroom, etc., hence, he would not have been going anywhere out of my site.

Now, I am very sure things got heated, and it probably deteriorated from there, we've all been in the same boat, no pun intended. Now we would all be upset, at ourselves, the operation, the DM who was I assume being paid to baby sit, and so on in the heat of the moment. It seems like everyone here owns a little piece of this.

Consider this a lesson learned, and be ready to enjoy a dive trip by practicing when you can, where you can. I know, I know it sucks diving in cold, dark 1' visibility, but when you can be comfortable doing that, and after practicing, those hurry up and jump dives can be fun, once you are in the water. Now I can't speak to the dive operation, certainly I would love to give them a try, but I can say, that two particular charter dives previously it was more or less, "every man for himself"

Having said that, I practice those skills as much as I can, so I do not rely on anyone for anything, except a ride out and back, unless using my own boat. I certainly would not trust the life of my wife or kids to anyone else but me. I would take responsibility until they have demonstrated the skills previously mentioned, and then they too will not need anyone either. I've wasted a lot of paid for dives chasing a buddy and getting them back on the plan, etc. and that is quite annoying.

Certainly, if regular practice is not an option, and money is no object, there are plenty of private dive charters available where you can get 100% attention and guidance. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that if you can afford it. Anyway, we can all be thankful that everyone is OK. From an independent perspective, you own some of this, your daughter owns some, and possibly the DM, who was acting as three peoples buddy? Now I assume the DM was being a paid guide...

I hope I have not aggravated the situation here, but it just seems more productive to assess what went wrong, and apply (thankfully) what was learned to avoid such situations in the future. As I said, I do not know this operation, or you folks, and i'm not trying to disrespect anyone here.

I've also dived with Ed Robinson and I agree, a top notch organization. You did well by choosing them. My parents have lived on Maui for 30 years so I'll admit to not knowing anything about Maui guidebooks. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Mama's Fish House is nice but not my first, second or third choice!

I'm not writing this for all those on here that dive several times a year, you wouldn't understand. This is for the people, like us, that dive very infrequently and look for a dive op that will keep us safe and show us a good time.

That really says it all...

-B

Whenever B & B was in a hurry to get the boat out of the water, we were able to just unload our gear in the parking lot. Sorry, but I also say there are 2 sides to every story. And I am being very tactful here. So I am not going to go any further than that. And as much as we like that guidebook, we don't agree with everything in there. To each his own. Maggi

This is for the people, like us, that dive very infrequently and look for a dive op that will keep us safe and show us a good time.

This statement makes me both furious and sad. Furious, because I think it's entirely unfair to expect a dive op "to keep us safe". We are ALL taught to be responsible for our own gear and our own gas, and to dive within our skill and comfort limits. As much as I may criticize my original training, my instructors made those things abundantly clear. It is not the responsibility of a dive op or a DM to keep you safe. It is your responsibility to do that. I admit that your 13 year old daughter was probably not in a position to challenge the staff, but if she was well trained, she might at least have asked, "Don't we do a buddy check?" Perhaps she hasn't seen a lot of good examples of people doing that?

And it makes me sad, because we have a whole population of people out there who think it's okay to abdicate responsibility for their dives to someone they've never met and know nothing about, and we have a whole industry that purports to do the thinking and planning for people who don't remember much about diving except how to go underwater and breathe. It shouldn't be that way. Diving is great fun, but it is a terrible risk to take, to go underwater where you can't survive, and all of us need to treat this activity with profound respect and diligence. The lesson to your daughter is not to allow boat staff to rush her into the water without the checks she should have been taught to do. And I will agree that there are times when staff try to do that, and one must simply hold one's ground, and it would be hard for a 13 year old. But why she was on the other side of the boat from her responsible parents is another question.

B.W.R.A.F
B-Buckles secured
W-weights
R-Regulator
A-Air pressure (ie full tank)
F-freind/buddy
This is taught to every open water student and should be part of every divers pre dive checklist. It is the responsibility of every diver to verify and perform there own bwraf. This rule is applicable regardless of which agency was used for certification. Personally I prefer to set up my own gear and have no issues about asking the crew for a fresh tank should I have a tank that was not filled up. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad time w/ the dive op but blaming them for what happened is not right. As for the way you where treated by the crew and boat capt that's a seperate issue.

B.W.R.A.F
B-Buckles secured
W-weights
R-Regulator
A-Air pressure (ie full tank)
F-freind/buddy
This is taught to every open water student and should be part of every divers pre dive checklist. It is the responsibility of every diver to verify and perform there own bwraf. This rule is applicable regardless of which agency was used for certification. Personally I prefer to set up my own gear and have no issues about asking the crew for a fresh tank should I have a tank that was not filled up. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad time w/ the dive op but blaming them for what happened is not right. As for the way you where treated by the crew and boat capt that's a seperate issue.
Yes.

However, there are a number of ops that downplay this.

I've been derided on some boats (I believe on was even ERDA) for taking the time to double check everything before I splash.

robpco -- I hear your pain... and frankly, I'm not surprised. It would sure be nice if there weren't as many B&B sympathizers here, because you might have seen a real recommendation for a decent operation here.

robpco -- I hear your pain... and frankly, I'm not surprised. It would sure be nice if there weren't as many B&B sympathizers here, because you might have seen a real recommendation for a decent operation here.
Smell some blood in the water Kris?

-B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom