http://www.diveheart.org/

Matt The AquaMan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Schlink:
Thanks Don, as I said I am just thinking out loud. I go nuts when someone tells me I can't do something. I am one of those that jumps up when told to shut up.
SO I am correct in thinking that when we can figure out proper gas exchange at a reasonable depth we're all taking Matt diving somewhere!!!
Also what is the thought process of taking a run at Oprah or Ellen? Is $$$ holding us up or technology??
Technology for now, but a small fortunate will help in time. Plus Oprah has a lot of influence. I wouldn't stand in line to meet her - but again, I don't allow TV in my home. Millions would do anything for her.

Hi Michael, thanks for running your ideas by us here. Don did a great job answering your questions. Sorry I didn't get a chance to answer your posts yesterday I had a really busy day. One of the things that is really holding me up with just doing a simple dive right now is the lack of creative non-busy help in my area. It would work out better if someone close by could get this all set up and just toss me into a pool, but all those interested with the intelligence I am looking for are way out west or way out east or in Canada or down south or other places in the world! That's why I am working for more local publicity now.

Just to add a couple things, I would probably go to Florida for my dive. There is a vent. I am possibly going to have donated to me. It can handle 2.1 atmospheres. It would be ideal for what I need. I liked the helmet idea from the Abyss zipped onto the dry suit.

I should be having a donation fund set up within the next month or so. Though I would love to do my dive way before, my diving project is coming together now with a few engineering colleges on board but I will have to wait until the summer of 2006 to do it thier way. At least I know I will be doing a few practice dives before then. With writing to Oprah and Ellen, I am trying to get my story out there for more publicity. More publicity=more funding and more support. On my web site I give one of my ideas on there.

I appreciate your ideas, any that you have. And the support of all the divers on this board and everywhere. I will be sure to keep everyone posted with all the details and updates. I can't wait to go diving, I know I will someday soon. Take care and safe diving.
-Matt- :wink:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

We had a fellow who does work for Discovery Channel come to SB looking for survivor stories like the dumb movie Open Water, and I emailed him today with Matt as an excellent survivor story. Have no idea whether he'll follow up or not. If he flakes, I know another Discovery writer.

And, we can all email NASA to get them in on this - either the Curator or Responsible NASA Official. It's under 'I tried please help' http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/comment.cgi?HSFWebMa@ems.jsc.nasa.gov NASA wants good publicity for sharing their technology with the public, and they could get some outa' this!

If you want to send an email to one or both, reference:

Matt on SB: http://www.scubaboard.com/t61189-sc...ventilator.html

Email Matt at: roadrunnermatt@yahoo.com

His website: www.scubadivingdream.com

Hi Don, THANKS! :crafty: I would love it if Discovery followed up on this. I really appreciate you putting the contact info for NASA on here too. It would be awesome for them to be involved. Since astronauts are similar to divers in some ways and they train underwater. The more people that know about my diving dream the better. Have a great day everyone on SB! Safe diving all.
-Matt- :wave-smil

I often have to handle problems as part of my day to day job. In that I have been doing it for quite a long time now I have a habit of breaking things down into parts and solving each one seperatly and in the order that will give me the best result. With that all said, and if I may propose an action plan that will end with the desired result.
First, has anyone any idea how much money we're talking about?
Do you plan to or even need to do any initial training in a pool?
Is your goal to dive more than a few times or are we initialy hoping for just one experience.
I am quite sure to almost positive that arrangments for transportation, lodging and a dive operation are a "slam dunk"- I could make a couple phone calls and have everything in place. IE: A plane ticket to Fl, a nice hotel etc. can all be obtained rather easily.
Next we have to work out the technical details to facilitate the dive(s)
With your relationship with the SB and other members of the dive industry I can't imagine anything less than way to many people wanting to go with you on your dive(s)
In fact I quite imagine having to create a lottery to determine who actually would be allowed to go diving with you!!!
SO if I am correct we're down to making sure you can make the dive safely and comfortably. DUI has made the comfort a non issue so we're down to how to make sure you can breathe comfortably?
The vent you mentioned that would possibly work , How much are we talking?
If we were to look at your dive no differently than an expedition to say the Titanic or the "Ship of Gold" than after we know what we need and what it will cost then we go get the $$$$. Again please feel free to tell me shut up but I can't see why with a proper action plan this isn't do-able. -M

I like that...
In fact I quite imagine having to create a lottery to determine who actually would be allowed to go diving with you!!!
It'd take more than one security guard to keep me out of the water. Gonna' be the most photographed dive in history! :eyebrow:

Hi again Michael,

To answer some of your questions, I would probably like to test this out a few times in a pool close by before I go to Florida for the big dive itself. As far as plane rides, I do not think that would work out. It is difficult for vent. patients esp ones that are on the vent. 24/7 like me to go on airplanes. I would need oxygen probably and I cannot sit in an airplane seat, I would need to have my big ol' electric wheelchair on the plane. With all my electonics it would take me forever to get approved. Travel by my van is the way I would go.

There is talk I might go on a sub with Phil Nuyten next summer.

The ventlilator cost 12,000 but I think the company is donating it. It's a much more compact vent than what I have now weighing about 15 lbs. Knowing me, once I make my big dive, I would love to do it again. I think the big trick right now as far as setting this up is figuring out where to put my PEEP valve (or exhalation valve) That is one of the biggest things, it blows out my CO2. I would need a PEEP valve that does not let water in, working as a one way valve. I also need some type of heavy duty ventilator tubing that would withstand the pressure underwater. I am thinking out loud now. The other thing is to find or design an airtight case to keep the ventilator in while I am underwater. If someone could figure out how to work that valve and the watertight case for the vent with watertight connections for all of the above I think I could do diving really soon.

If you give me your email I can give you a picture of what my set up looks like. Maybe that would help. As always I appreciate your feedback. Don't ever be afraid to post any thoughts, I won't get offended! This IS do-able, all my doctors agree. My primary doctor is a diver and plans to do this dive with me. Take care and as always safe diving.

-Matt-

As for who gets to dive with Matt... that is entirely up to Matt. No one else has the right to determine who his buddies are but Matt. I am proud of the small part this board has played in ehlping him to dream and then accomplish his dreams. However, I think we will all learn more from Matt than the other way around! You rock dude!

Hi there Netdoc! Good to hear from you. I don't even know where to begin to know who to have with on the dive. That will be something to think about later... But you know what? I am not even worried about it. Cool, your birthday is 2 days after mine. I bet the weather in Orlando is way better during our birthday time than what we get in Minnesota. We normally have lots of snow by then. You all ROCK here! Thanks again and safe diving.
-Matt- :eyebrow:

Hi Matt,

Here's a few thoughts.

The PEEP sounds like what you need would be a check valve. Dive gear is full of one way valves. It shouldn't be difficult to come up with something, there are all kinds of check valves readily available on the market.

The hoses, if I remember correctly you plan to go no deeper than 25ft. Realistically, you could use standard regulator hoses, they would just need to have custom fittings to attach to your machine.

The housing/case for the ventilator, this could be made out of the same material and in the same manner as a camera housing. It could even have sealed ports where hoses coming from a scuba tank feed it the air it needs to operate. There could also be a one way vent put on it for the exhaled gases.

I know this sounds like I'm simplifying this, I'm not really. I just tend to break things down into thier smallest pieces and then put the puzzle together.

Brian
Matt the Wonder Boy:
Hi again Michael,

To answer some of your questions, I would probably like to test this out a few times in a pool close by before I go to Florida for the big dive itself. As far as plane rides, I do not think that would work out. It is difficult for vent. patients esp ones that are on the vent. 24/7 like me to go on airplanes. I would need oxygen probably and I cannot sit in an airplane seat, I would need to have my big ol' electric wheelchair on the plane. With all my electonics it would take me forever to get approved. Travel by my van is the way I would go.

There is talk I might go on a sub with Phil Nuyten next summer.

The ventlilator cost 12,000 but I think the company is donating it. It's a much more compact vent than what I have now weighing about 15 lbs. Knowing me, once I make my big dive, I would love to do it again. I think the big trick right now as far as setting this up is figuring out where to put my PEEP valve (or exhalation valve) That is one of the biggest things, it blows out my CO2. I would need a PEEP valve that does not let water in, working as a one way valve. I also need some type of heavy duty ventilator tubing that would withstand the pressure underwater. I am thinking out loud now. The other thing is to find or design an airtight case to keep the ventilator in while I am underwater. If someone could figure out how to work that valve and the watertight case for the vent with watertight connections for all of the above I think I could do diving really soon.

If you give me your email I can give you a picture of what my set up looks like. Maybe that would help. As always I appreciate your feedback. Don't ever be afraid to post any thoughts, I won't get offended! This IS do-able, all my doctors agree. My primary doctor is a diver and plans to do this dive with me. Take care and as always safe diving.

-Matt-

Back
Top Bottom