Master Diver specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TDI for Tech level courses also has requirements for 50 and 100 logged dives and dives beyond 100’. It’s not a telephone book its a dive log book.

🤦‍♀️

Suggesting tech courses to a recreational diver who has indicated no interest, doesn’t appear to be dry suit certified, and has no experience in doubles or sidemount?

TDI advanced nitrox is a recreational course and covers to 40m deep. Doesn't even include deco dives. Better than a PADI deep course as the OP is looking to add specialties to skillset. As the OP wants to do wreck diving this course would be suitable.

TDI advanced nitrox is a recreational course and covers to 40m deep. Doesn't even include deco dives. Better than a PADI deep course as the OP is looking to add specialties to skillset. As the OP wants to do wreck diving this course would be suitable.

🙄🤦‍♀️

TDI for Tech level courses also has requirements for 50 and 100 logged dives and dives beyond 100’. It’s not a telephone book its a dive log book.

All I supplied for my TDI courses is my DC logs I do not keep paper log books.

proof of 25 logged open water dives

So OW with nitrox can do this course. Not too difficult for a recreational diver. :)

I do not consider this technical diving.

Marie, how many recreational divers do you know who decompress on 100% O2 ?

Here is a link to the TDI web site that lists the 9 courses they offer for OC Technical Diver training. Advanced Nitrox is the 4th course in the progression. Advanced Nitrox in combination with Deco' Procedures is a common starting point for those begining their Techinical Diver training and probably the 2 most commonly courses taken in combination of the 9 Technical diver courses TDI offers.

Marie, how many recreational divers do you know who decompress on 100% O2 ?

Here is a link to the TDI web site that lists the 9 courses they offer for OC Technical Diver training. Advanced Nitrox is the 4th course in the progression. Advanced Nitrox in combination with Deco' Procedures is a common starting point for those begining their Techinical Diver training and probably the 2 most commonly courses taken in combination of the 9 Technical diver courses TDI offers.

Is this a trick question? I know of no recreational (non-technical) who use anything else besides back gas for safety stops. That back gas is generally air or 28%-32% nitrox, depending on depth.

AN is pretty much worthless by itself, which is why it’s combined with either DP or Helitrox.

Is this a trick question? I know of no recreational (non-technical) who use anything else besides back gas for safety stops. That back gas is generally air or 28%-32% nitrox, depending on depth.

AN is pretty much worthless by itself, which is why it’s combined with either DP or Helitrox.
Gee, nor do I. :banghead:

This brings to light some of the issues with the watered down standards that PADI has for their Master Cert. The Master cert' is supposed to be respected that you have Mastered the key skills to Recreational diving. Or you can be a PADI Master of diving during day light hours only, in clear water.
You are making this basically everything you have said is wrong.

You have very limited experience with recreational divers then who use higher O2 content mixes for dives.
AN is not strictly for staged decompression dives. It can be and is used by recreational divers on dives who do not do required stop diving.
I know a number of recreational divers who will switch to a higher O2 for their ascent and safety stop. One who is older and took a DCS hit. He does this as a precaution now.
If the AN course is taught properly it includes a great deal of theory and tech diving philosophy that should be applied to ANY deep dives.
While AN does not require deep dives, it does provide a much more solid foundation in diving period than the average deep course. Buoyancy control, trim, rescue skills for O2 toxicity hits, gas management, dive planning, and use of a deco/stage bottle. In the AN class alone like this they would get 6 hours plus of bottom time drilling on skills over 5 dives. Then the DP class was a minimum of 5 so the combined course was 10 dives.
When I taught AN I found that students benefitted from taking the AN course then doing DP a bit later. This gave them time to work on their team skills with multiple bottles and refining their drills and planning procedures.
It was also less physically and mentally tasking so they absorbed more and were in better condition to do the dives.
When it came time for DP I had a solid team who needed no remedial time and we could get right into the DP skills and dives.
I've had students take AN with me and follow up with DP with another instructor because they could do it in a warmer location than I offered. Or because they wanted to switch to a higher O2 for the end of the dive. And at least one who was going to have to wait for DP at a later time because of finances. Which is perfectly fine as well.

To say AN by itself is worthless is narrow minded and uninformed about what a good AN class is and what mixes higher than 40% can be used for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom