Master Diver specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm torn. I would like to complete master diver (PADI) but don't know which specialties I should do. I've done Nitrox already so that's one down. I thought about PPB but will I get anything from this if my buoyancy, trim and weighting are already good? Should I focus on something else then?

Certainly Wreck will be one of them. What are the most interesting specialties? Which ones will make me a better diver?

You can also look at the TDI TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI or the
TDI Decompression Procedures Diver - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

You can do them combined as one course.

This will certify you to 45m and give to an advanced nitrox course as well. You would learn more from this than a PADI deep certificate as you would also cover to 100% O2. PADI deep will not give you that. So this one course is equivalent to doing two PADI specialties.
You can look at other agencies for certifications as well.

It also covers buoyancy and trim control, smb deployment, and other things that you need to pass as part of the course. For night diving you don't need a specialty card just go and join others on night dives. Any diver can take you on a night dive without you needing to take a special class for it.

I've never done a night dive class but have done hundreds of night dives. I do not think the night dive specialty is worth paying for.

Pick out specialties that will teach you something valuable for you and your planned diving life. Let's look at the debate you are having about night diving. A specialty is a big class, with multiple dives. You do not need multiple class dives to learn night diving. If you are going to take and pay for a course requiring multiple dives, make sure you pick one that requires multiple dives to get the full value from it.

First, a clarification. Of course I already have Rescue and per OP, I've already done Nitrox. I like your thoughts @tursiops - depending on the instructor. Couldn't agree more.

I'm not sure what fish ID can give me that I can't find out on my own - a personal interest of mine. But U/W photography absolutely is. Wreck too.

As for specialties, don't you do 5 full specialties for Master Diver? So nothing is watered down. The only watering down is when you have a sh!tty instructor.

Can someone tell me more about the Deep specialty?
I don't teach Fish ID, I refer people to a guy who happens to have a PhD in Marine Biology. He can teach a Fish ID class worth taking. I teach a workshop on skills for UW Photography. Then I send students to a guy who makes his living as an underwater photographer and has shot for Nat Geo, Discovery, Smithsonian, and a couple other entities.
Don't take a wreck specialty from anyone who doesn't dive wrecks on a regular basis and dives or teaches at least one level above where you want to be. They should be an Advanced Wreck instructor.
I never saw the need to get that master diver card even though I got sold more than enough PADI courses to get it.
At this point I tell my students that unless an op requires a specific card, don't go for the card. Go for the education. That means forget the agency and look for an instructor that teaches what you want to learn.
A recreational wreck course card will not give you any special access to recreational wrecks.
Hell, a technical wreck card won't be worth as much as Advanced Nitrox, Deco Procedures, and some type of trimix cert so you can get the good gas to do those wrecks because at that level, they expect that if you signed up for the dive you can do it.
As for Deep, the standards for what has to be taught are pretty thin.
Take a Deep course from someone who is doing 150-200 ft dives and teaches others to do them. They'll teach you the skills to do the dive safely. When I was teaching deep class was 5 dives and every student has to have at least 100cu ft of back gas and a 30 cu ft slung bottle. I cover gas management, gas matching, emergency deco procedures, narcosis management, and how many ways deep dives can kill you.
All dives save the 1st one are in excess of 100 ft and no more than 2 per day. So it's a 3 day course. Plus the classroom and confined water skills eval if I haven't trained the person previously.
If your buoyancy and trim are not dead on, no class until you get them up to snuff.
I no longer am teaching deep or deco classes because I've gotten older and while I am ok with doing 200 ft dives, I don't want to do them with students. It's not fun anymore.

I agree with all those talking about core courses that improve your overall diving and safety. Deep, Nav, maybe Wreck (if you plan to penetrate, but best to get some more advanced training first), Night (if you plan to) S & R.
The PADI and NAUI MSDs are 2 different animals, leading to the old "this vs. that" argument. NAUI has a bunch of theory that PADI DMs get, but not PADI MSDs. Exactly how valuable some of that stuff is for your actual diving is IMHO, somewhat debatable.
I don't have a problem with spending the $ on the specialties vs. just diving. You'd probably spend almost as much just booking regular charter trips, not including tips. That's one way to look at it anyway.

This is the last place you should go for advice like this. You will get meaningless advice from individuals who are riding their personal hobby horses with no regard to you or your diving history and plans.

I suggest you find a really good, experienced instructor with advanced credentials, including tech if possible. Sit down and talk with him or her, describing your history and your goals for the future. Do a dive together if possible. Then pick out the courses that will work best to get you where you want to be some day. Maybe those will qualify you for MSD. Maybe they won't. It's the learning that takes you along the best path possible that counts.

You can do just fine with a PADI program if you have the right instructor. If you have the wrong instructor, any agency's program will suck.
Thanks, I have a good shop with several instructors who have different strengths and will be sure to match the instructor to the course. Although I'm pretty sure they would do that anyway.

Attachments

• 1648207367348.png
    1648207367348.png
    182 bytes · Views: 45
Interestingly, nobody tried to sell me hard on the PPB
Perhaps because you might actually not need it from their point of view?

You can also look at the TDI TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI or the
TDI Decompression Procedures Diver - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

You can do them combined as one course.

This will certify you to 45m and give to an advanced nitrox course as well. You would learn more from this than a PADI deep certificate as you would also cover to 100% O2. PADI deep will not give you that. So this one course is equivalent to doing two PADI specialties.

🤦‍♀️

Suggesting tech courses to a recreational diver who has indicated no interest, doesn’t appear to be dry suit certified, and has no experience in doubles or sidemount?

The PADI Master Diver... It is "I did a bunch of dives" card... (Or how I viewed it based on me, a non-pro, signing a guy's log book so he could submit for dive credit for him to get it...).
To veer WAY off course -

What is this "signing a guy's log book so he could submit for dive credit for him to get [MSD cert]"?

Nobody has ever signed a dive logbook for me. And while we're at it, what's a log book? And how WOULD one sign it?

I was befuddled last year on Bonaire when I saw a table of divers at Buddy's/Blennies gleefully, gigglingly filling out notebooks and passing them around the table... It just seemed so ... cultish.

Seriously, why would anyone need "proof" countersignatures in a log for recreational purposes? Virtually no commercial pilot has countersignatures for their logbooks, yet they are perfectly good proof of instrument currency, night currency, etc...

If somebody is going to go to the trouble of falsifying a logbook, I'm sure they could get their dive buddies Mike Nelson (instructor), Andy Taylor, Barney Fife, Archie Bunker, Fred Flintstone, Clark Kent, Dagwood Bumstead, and Beetle Bailey to just sign off on the pages too.

OMMOHY

🙄🤦‍♀️

Some instructors emphasize the paper logging a great deal. Some people don’t bother logging electronically. Some people like to collect the stamps dive ops at resorts have for logbooks. Some courses - such as solo - require 100 logged dives.

PADI MSD requires proof of 50 logging dives in addition to the specialties so that’s what I expect Bob was referring to.

Back
Top Bottom