Master Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything you did in your dive was a violation of what you were taught in dive planning for the skill level you are at.

Strictly speaking mind you.

We switched to 40% at 80' on the way back as the purpose of 40% was to reduce MB level.

More data, refer to the dive profile I've posted before:

On minute 32 at 101' my Galileo Luna switched from no stop to 1 minute stop at 10'
On minute 42 at 105' level stop at 10' reached maximum of 23 minutes and then switched to 1.5 minutes at 20'
On minute 69 at 45' the level stop reached maximum of 7.5 minutes at 20'
On minute 72 at 25' Luna requested a level+deco stop for 5.5 minutes at 20'

I am now completely confused. Per above, your computer maxed out at 23 mins of deco at 10' before adjusting your deco obligation downwards again.

Your plan was purpose cut using V-planner with mixed gasses and included decompression stops.

Yet we are told that this was not a technical dive and that the confusion stems from loose use of terminology. We are told that nitrogen exposures and loading were within recreational planning limits. :confused:

To me this looks like a technical dive.

I am now completely confused. Per above, your computer maxed out at 23 mins of deco at 10' before adjusting your deco obligation downwards again.

Your plan was purpose cut using V-planner and mixed gasses and included decompression stops.

Yet we are told that this was not a technical dive with a soft ceiling. We are told that nitrogen exposures and loading were within recreational planning limits. :confused:

It's absolutely possible for multilevel dive to enter deco mode just to off-gas on the way back. As TSandM noted, people here do it all the time.

Computer does not know what you'll do next and warns you. I was scared by it on my first dive with GUE folks here and then learned the science behind it.

PADI Multilevel Diver class explains it in details.

Last edited:
It's absolutely possible for multilevel dive to enter deco mode just to off-gas on the way back. As TSandM noted, people here do it all the time.

Computer does not know what you'll do next and warns you. I was scared by it on my first dive with GUE folks here and then learned the science behind it.

Read those standards out loud and point out the parts that allow for any deco obligations to be planned for.

On a recreational dive if you have a problem, you can go to the surface and resolve the problem. You can then elect to continue the dive or not.

On a technical dive if you have a problem the surface is not an option. You deal with the problem under water and then decide to end the dive or not.

If your computer says you have a 23 minute deco obligation, then you do not have the option to surface should a problem arise. Hence you are now in the realms of a technical dive.

Last edited:
I retract my statement, having seen the actual information from the dive. A 23 minute decompression obligation is enough that I don't think anybody would consider a direct ascent to the surface in anything but a last-ditch move for survival. This was quite definitely a technical dive. Entering into deco during the deep portion of the dive, and having that decompression obligation gradually clear as you move shallower, is how EVERY technical dive is done. Just because the obligation may clear on backgas doesn't mean it wasn't real. And yes, I have run up very small deco obligations in a single tank, but never anything remotely near 23 minutes. AND I have technical training.

This just plain isn't a good idea for a lot of reasons.

Just go get the training, so we won't have to continue to hassle you. And do stop and think very hard about what bubbling may be doing to your daughter's bone structure.

/thread

I retract my statement, having seen the actual information from the dive. A 23 minute decompression obligation is enough that I don't think anybody would consider a direct ascent to the surface in anything but a last-ditch move for survival. This was quite definitely a technical dive. Entering into deco during the deep portion of the dive, and having that decompression obligation gradually clear as you move shallower, is how EVERY technical dive is done. Just because the obligation may clear on backgas doesn't mean it wasn't real. And yes, I have run up very small deco obligations in a single tank, but never anything remotely near 23 minutes. AND I have technical training.

This just plain isn't a good idea for a lot of reasons.

Just go get the training, so we won't have to continue to hassle you. And do stop and think very hard about what bubbling may be doing to your daughter's bone structure.

Notwithstanding the dive in question, I must applaud TS&M for the effort she went to in terms of having a off the record discussion with Cetus and showing a level of consideration for a fellow diver who is just learning the ropes. You taught me a lot in terms of your approach and how to better handle such a situation in future.

Thank you.

If Cetus and his daughter, tokidoki12, never had a decompression obligation, I would call this a recreational dive.

We switched to 40% at 80' on the way back as the purpose of 40% was to reduce MB level. Had we had cheaper 32% we'd crossed reserve margins completing our stops. That wiggle at 80' on minute 46 shows when we switched.

More data, refer to the dive profile I've posted before:

On minute 32 at 101' my Galileo Luna switched from no stop to 1 minute stop at 10'
On minute 42 at 105' level stop at 10' reached maximum of 23 minutes and then switched to 1.5 minutes at 20'
On minute 69 at 45' the level stop reached maximum of 7.5 minutes at 20'
On minute 72 at 25' Luna requested a level+deco stop for 5.5 minutes at 20'

At that point we were at the 30' stop following v-planner plan. We typically plan 30' stop as last stop because stopping at recommended 15' trains one to vomit into second stage in our waters.

So......., clearly, this was a technical dive. I'm with TS&M on this one.

I may be dense but it's not perfectly clear to me from your profile how you satisfied your deco obligation. You chalked up a signicant amount of time at 10 ft and then some at 20 feet. How did you clear this? I'm assuming the change in gas was already taken into account with a switch on your computer.

I pulled out my RDP tables for air. Per the dive profile, we spent about 5 minutes at 120'.
Ending with pressure group B. NDL is 13 minutes.
Tables incorporate a lot of safety margin.

Do you like this data better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom