Master Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the last charter was fine. I tried to book one out of MA a couple of years ago but that AOW was a deal breaker. I
had a boat for many years and I was good with my cert and dived from boat a lot. Just got myself another so I'm go to go again! Compare diving to driving huh? Be careful, a drivers license is a legal mandate, is that what you want for diving? Probably, on second thought. Probably like to see someone dragged away in handcuffs for diving 70' with a 60' cert. What a joke.

Yes, you've certainly turned into a joke. Your strawman arguments and justifications for not seeking appropriate training are quite amusing.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 06:16 AM ----------

I'm not sure what "standards" to which you feel anyone is asking not to be held. You've quoted at least one person whose original certification was to 130 feet (if my research is correct) as being not willing to meet standards or "too cheap to get a class" or some other nonsense. The "standard" you keep referring to is a "Recommendation" in my OW book, and every other OW course material I've read (NAUI, and PADI) or heard about (all others).

The "standard" is, and always has been, don't dive beyond your training and capability. There is no requirement that said training only come through formal class.

There is no "entitlement" issue going on here. Merely a request (reasonable one from my perspective) that we, the divers, decide what we are capable of diving if we provide reasonable proof that we have sufficient experience to do so.

Here is the crux of the argument. I hope Cetus spends some time actually reading the posts he's thanking because there are a few people here that are encouraging more deco diving with his 14 year daughter apparently.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 06:31 AM ----------

As a parting note, Cetus. You and your daughter performed a dive well beyond your training and capability. You improperly planned your dive and did not plan for contingencies, gas or otherwise and your risk management and assessment skills are lacking. You are not ready for these dives and you've proven your lack of experience over the course of this thread.

You are not a pioneer and you don't need to risk your daughter's or your health to save a few hundred dollars in training that is widely available.

You go head and do whatever it is you want to do but the resounding majority of voices in this thread agree that you are way over your head. If you choose to risk you and your daughter's life so be it, just be clear that is exactly what you are doing.

I found this:

THE U.S. COAST GUARD
The U.S. Coast Guard is authorized to enforce, or assist in the enforcement of, all U.S. Federal laws applicable on, over, and under the high seas and waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. These include laws which provide for the U.S. Coast Guard to exclusively act, and those which the Coast Guard enforces primarily for some other Federal agency. Generally, the Coast Guard must determine on a case-by-case basis whether it has jurisdiction. Besides determining whether it has the domestic authority to assert jurisdiction, it often must also determine whether an assertion of jurisdiction is consistent with international law. In many cases involving a foreign vessel, the Coast Guard decides whether it has jurisdiction over the vessel and its personnel based on three elements: the activities of the vessel and personnel, the location of the vessel, and the nationality of the vessel.
Two notes are warranted here. The first relates to the phrase "waters subject to United States jurisdiction." This phrase encompasses more than United States territorial waters; it also extends to those waters where the United States, pursuant to an agreement with a foreign government, has been authorized to take law enforcement action involving United States or foreign vessels. Such waters could, and in actual practice do, include foreign territorial waters.
The second point is that the Coast Guard may go aboard any United States vessel at any time, anywhere to conduct a documentation and safety inspection. A search of a U.S. vessel beyond this type of inspection is subject to limitations under the United States Constitution. If a search extends beyond this narrowly defined scope, a court may be asked to evaluate the legality of the search by balancing the individual’s right to privacy in the specific circumstances of the search against society’s interest in detecting criminal conduct.

I found that same passage last night but had a class so I couldn't post it. It pretty much encompasses my thoughts on the matter pursuant to treaties as I could not see any government enforcing their will in foreign waters without a treaty (barring war-time situations). Thanks much for posting it.

Congratulations to both of you. The fact that your teenage daughter has embraced this activity with her father, at the point of most people's life where they don't even want to acknowledge the existence of parents, makes it all the sweeter. Both of you are creating some great memories with this quality time. Wish you continued diving happiness!

She's a minor, who do you think have the right to make decisions for her? You? GUE instructors? Obama?

So? Is there any law that dictates they have to have fancy training?

First you have no idea what you are talking about, You know on some of the beaches southern Ca. you are required to have a snorkel or you get a $75 fine. Point Lobos is a state park that require you to show your C-card they regulate how many people can dive that day, were you can dive and were you can enter and exit. If people start screwing up their next thing you know you'll have some Dick like Cheney say your dive plan is yellow or dive condition are red. It a government park and when things go wrong they go overboard to correct the situation.

4. About that 14 years old

My daughter started diving when she was 12 and turning 15 in a couple of months. Ask the Peace dive boat captain who is the first (if not the only) 14 years old to dive SM1 in a strong current, twice, all within PADI restrictions and he will pull a manifest with my daughter's name. Ask him about Gosford and you will hear the same answer. Ask Ken of CIDA (Northern Wrecks | Channel Islands Dive Adventures) who was the only 14 years old on the board of Peace and who earned respect of very experienced adult divers present on that charter trip and you will hear the same name.

And now ask yourself, can your kid do that? Parents only. Kids please don't bother.

5. Dives are different

We all know that 50 dives on Hawaii resort are not the same as 50 dives in Monterey. Our dives in Monterey are different. Our typical dive is long and many divers make two before we come from our first one. Add strong (4-6') swells and 48F water and you'll begin getting the picture. This is what we call home.

6. Dive profile, as promised.

I know flaws can be found anywhere. Ask me. As some people noticed, you don't know what you don't know.

View attachment 145176

7. Final notes

I see that some people jumped into conclusion based on their own definition of our dive. While I respect everyone's opinion, I cannot accept their advice based on their imagination.

Thank you!

Cetus

Her name is Kelly and she did that before most of the crew was on the Peace and Eric was a deck hand, And that was before he became a captain he bought the business.

50 dives in Monterey doesn't take you to the tech level it also depends on where those dive were aswell. Just because you put your Galileo in deco doesn't make you a Tech Diver. I'm guessing here but a 3 day Peace trip 18 dives, A week in Hawaii 20 dives an If you do a 1 1/2 - 2 hr off of Monastery and come back to 14 to 18 foot wave what are you going to do then? It about the support if things go wrong and being a MSEE your detail on that dive should have been much clearer, if that's what you put down I have to wonder about the dive plan.

That dive profile dosen't show PPB or Multi-level diving skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom