Master Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cetus

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After 2+ years of training in cold Monterey waters, 6 instructors and many dives my 14 years old and I are PADI Master Scuba Divers. Many thanks to instructors and mentors for their patience and willingness to work with unusual team of the 52 and 14 years old.

There's no lack of opinions as to how useless the MSD certification is. Some people believe spending money on gear is better investment. I, on the other hand believe that training and experience are priceless. For a complete disclosure I have to admit that by the time we took Rescue we had all the gear we needed.

It was challenging for me as a parent to take 12 years old through strenuous training, studies of a mixed gas physics and human biology. Failed deep dives because of puberty-related ear issues. Cold ocean water. Sea sickness. I had to be persuasive sometimes bordering with manipulation to make her through challenges of scuba diving. I have been rewarded by her surfacing from both Monastery sides yelling "Best dive in my life!" and that's after a week of boat diving on Maui.

After official navigation class dives at the end of December, rough ocean and all we went to our first technical dive on January 1st. Two gases, 78 minutes and 125' deepest in Point Lobos. I navigated from GPW to HIW to SM to BR (see below) and back in a good swell and we both felt great, thanks to 28% back/40% deco EANx and my planning. Well this goes beyond MSD but you get the point.

Today I'm very proud of my teen who achieved such unusual goal.

----------
Sites per http://baue.org/lobos_maps/all-sites.html :

GPW - Granite Point Wall
HIW Hole in the Wall
SM - Sea Mount
BR - Beto's Reef

Congrats on the cert.
If nothing else, my SSI MD cert allowed me to do courses with a bunch of different instructors, most of them really good. Being able to learn from, and observe different instructors was worth far more than the cost of the courses. I don't think this is a sport where you ever stop learning, and people should be congratulated for continuing their eduction, whatever form that takes.

After official navigation class dives at the end of December, rough ocean and all we went to our first technical dive on January 1st. Two gases, 78 minutes and 125' deepest in Point Lobos. I navigated from GPW to HIW to SM to BR (see below) and back in a good swell and we both felt great, thanks to 28% back/40% deco EANx and my planning. Well this goes beyond MSD but you get the point.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying you did the 'technical' dive with MSD as your highest cert? What set up did you have for your back gas? How much deco did you rack up? Was the EANx40 used as additional safety or accelerated deco?

Congrats to you and your daughter JWD! Job Well Done

You should both be proud to accomplish the goal you set! Wish I had started at 12; Hell, wish I had started at 40!!! lee

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying you did the 'technical' dive with MSD as your highest cert? What set up did you have for your back gas? How much deco did you rack up? Was the EANx40 used as additional safety or accelerated deco?

Easily done with MSD as a rating, it isn't a certification level. Who knows what other courses he has done. Why the manic interest with a dive he described?

Congrats, it is great starting your kids young. My daughter is now 21 and although not an MSD, we have enjoyed some great dive trips together over the past few years primarily to Malaysia and in particular to Sipadan.

You can't beat a home made dive buddy, all the best for many more dives with yours :)

After 2+ years of training in cold Monterey waters, 6 instructors and many dives my 14 years old and I are PADI Master Scuba Divers.
My congratulations as well! Good for you, as a diver and a father.
Cetus:
There's no lack of opinions as to how useless the MSD certification is.
Many of which overlook the most important part - the meaning of MSD is personal and individual, and that is what counts the most. You and your daughter have set a diving goal, and accomplished it, together.
Cetus:
Today I'm very proud of my teen who achieved such unusual goal.
As well you (and she) should be!

Back
Top Bottom