Master Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... Many of which overlook the most important part - the meaning of MSD is personal and individual, and that is what counts the most. ....

Colliam7

Best comment ever on MSD. You should plunk this into every MSD thread that comes up!

Bill

Easily done with MSD as a rating, it isn't a certification level. Who knows what other courses he has done. Why the manic interest with a dive he described?

The post reads like they have recently gained the MSD rating, which doesn't exactly prepare you to do 40 metre dives with 78 minute run times and gas switching, and the agencies I'm familiar with do not train 14 year olds in technical diving (TDI and PADI both 18 - IANTD 15 with parentel consent).

Confgratulations!

don't let anyone tell you what should be valuable or not!! that is for you to say!
Be Careful with the tec stuff though... mainly the children.

Thanks everybody for your support! Yes there was a goal and it's been achieved. It does not matter really what the goal title says. MSD is a verifiable set of knowledge and skills and as such is a very specific goal.

Our local waters are full of great instructors and mentors. Some of them can be found on IMDB and are credited in movies. There's a reason we used 6 instructors. When PADI minimum age requirement for EANx was 15, I decided to take TDI training. Now PADI lowered minimum age to 12. If we decide to take a cave training (not yet) I'll ask JJ to work with us. If one can afford learning they should consider the best ones to teach them.

All our 6 instructors and numerous divemasters were great. Each and everyone of them put a piece of themselves in what we are now.

@Mustard Dave: Most agencies recognize multiple mixes and deco dives as technical dives: Technical diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hence no quotes in my original post.

My back gas (28%) was in GUE-compliant doubles rig, 2x100cf steel tanks. Accelerated deco mix (40%) was in 80cf stage. Using 40% as additional safety at 125'/38m might kill you as its MOD is only 82'/25m. The dive was planned as an overhead dive, without actual overhead. I used v-planner to plan that multi-level dive. Deco obligation was 13 minutes at 30', after some time shallower than 125. It was, after all a shore dive and many people here do it on 32% but I'm too young to die. You can see a picture of me fully geared up near Hole in the Wall on my profile. Again our setups are fully GUE-compliant and go way beyond required for MSD level but that would be a subject of a separate thread.

There's no lack of opinions as to how useless the MSD certification is.

There is also no lack of people in this world who don't appreciate the value of celebrating ones achievements. It sounds like this is your way of putting a little "high-five" moment in the process. Nothing wrong with that at all.

R..

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 05:12 PM ----------

If we decide to take a cave training (not yet) I'll ask JJ to work with us. If one can afford learning they should consider the best ones to teach them.

I don't know JJ so this isn't about him but I wanted to point out as a *general* rule that the best divers don't necessarily make the best teachers. Maybe you know something about him that I don't, but don't assume just because he's famous and has done some amazing dives that he's necessarily a good match for you as an instructor. He *could* be, but his credentials alone don't guarantee it.

R..

Puberty related ear issues? My parents called that selective hearing, but I didn't think it had anything to do with diving. :D

It sounds like you made the most of it and went after MSD for the education and not the card. I think you two made a wise choice, congrats!

Congratulations and the most important thing about this process is you got to do it with your child regardless of what anyone says. Those are times you two will never forget. I am working on my OW certification right now. Once done I am going to send my son through it. I was advised for initial certification to not do them together so I could focus onmy skills and not also worry if my son was doing okay.

@Mustard Dave: Most agencies recognize multiple mixes and deco dives as technical dives: Technical diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hence no quotes in my original post.

My back gas (28%) was in GUE-compliant doubles rig, 2x100cf steel tanks. Accelerated deco mix (40%) was in 80cf stage. Using 40% as additional safety at 125'/38m might kill you as its MOD is only 82'/25m. The dive was planned as an overhead dive, without actual overhead. I used v-planner to plan that multi-level dive. Deco obligation was 13 minutes at 30', after some time shallower than 125. It was, after all a shore dive and many people here do it on 32% but I'm too young to die. You can see a picture of me fully geared up near Hole in the Wall on my profile. Again our setups are fully GUE-compliant and go way beyond required for MSD level but that would be a subject of a separate thread.

No worries! You sound like you planned it well enough and had suitable redundant gas sources. I can't say I like the idea of kids and technical diving though.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by additional safety with regards to the EANx40 - I was not implying you'd use it at depth. Some people switch to a richer mix on ascent when they are above its MOD, but they still calculate the deco as if they are using the same mix as the bottom portion of the dive. The nitrox is not used to reduce the deco time but is instead used as an extra safety margin.

Yeah. I know who he is. I've read some of his stuff and I've even exchanged posts with him on the internet.

But I don't KNOW him. You only truly know someone once you dive with them. :)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom