Master Diver Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

promocop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I did it. Got my cute card and certificate suitable for framing. Yes, I know, i paid the price with the various courses I had to take, but it does feel good. Am I a better diver? I think so, at least I'm a bit more aware of things about me.

i hope you take things carefully now that you have a better understanding and know how to handel situations.... and congrats on your certification

Well, I did it. Got my cute card and certificate suitable for framing. Yes, I know, i paid the price with the various courses I had to take, but it does feel good. Am I a better diver? I think so, at least I'm a bit more aware of things about me.

Cool - congrats!

Excellante! I think you understand and appreciate the idea behind the certification. It shows that you have the passion and a commitment to diving. Plus accomplished a lot of training with open water, advanced open water, rescue, 50 dives and 5 specialties!
Way to go!

Thanks. I always thought of myself as a safe diver, never taking chances, checking out my gear and not diving below 100 feet. Collectivly, all the courses I took and the dives that went along with them, made me a better diver. At my age (61), I'm probably too old to go 'pro', so I will continue to enjoy the sport of diving and take more courses that interest me. The only regret? I should have done it sooner! Take heed.!

Collectivly, all the courses I took and the dives that went along with them, made me a better diver.
I suspect you are absolutely right! The MSD designation is a personal milestone as much as anything. It gives a diver an interim gauge of their development. One of the things our shop does is put the MSD certificates (of those willing to part with them) in frames and hang them high on the shop wall in a horizontal line. It was encouraging for me as a new diver to see this (expanding) row of certificates, and to meet many of the 'holders' over time at scuba club meetings, including shop instructional staff. And, now, it is a pleasure for me to see the names of divers that I have worked with, in OW, in AOW, in Rescue, on certificates hanging on the wall. And, we are moving to a second row, having just about made a complete circuit of the walls.
At my age (61), I'm probably too old to go 'pro', so I will continue to enjoy the sport of diving and take more courses that interest me.
You never know. I (finally) finished DM at 57, Instructor at 58, so you are in the same ballpark. If not, there is a lot of diving, and learning, for you out there.
The only regret? I should have done it sooner! Take heed.!
Some great advice for the less chronologically gifted members of SB! I felt the same way, and tell OW students that very thing as well.

At my age (61), I'm probably too old to go 'pro', so I will continue to enjoy the sport of diving and take more courses that interest me.

never say never - if you find yourself spending lots of time giving advice to newbies and noticing things they should be doing differently, then taking a step to DM may be worthwhile.

the DM course has been my favourite - i had a very good instructor, and i exited the course feeling that i'd *really* made a quantum leap in the way i approach the sport, and (combined with experience) felt that i'd gained a degree of authority in offering advice to new divers.

congrats on your achievement in any case.

At my age (61), I'm probably too old to go 'pro',
Not necessarily, Junior. If you are healthy, interested, and sufficiently experienced, try it. At our shop, we have a diver in his seventies about to complete his DM course, and doing very well. He started diving five years ago, in his 60s. At 65, I am the third oldest active instructor in our shop (the older two are both 66). Sometimes age and cunning trumps youth and inexperience (or however that expression goes). In the meantime, bask for a while in your MSD accomplishment. Bravo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom