Mass confusion about computers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point of redundancy is to enable getting out of the water unhurt. Adding redundancy beyond that gains little (saving the very rare dive with a failure) but costs complexity and perhaps weight etc. In the specific case of an SPG backup up AI this might not apply, but the rest of the time continuing the dive will lead to WTF did he do that questions in the incidents and accidents forum if it doesn’t work out.
I was talking about having a SPG and non-AI computer backing up a primary AI computer. What additional redundancy are you alluding to?

No.

But, I AM saying that it is okay to tell divers that they are the ultimate authority and have the ultimate responsibility for what they do. Divers need to make decisions for themselves, not just take somebody's word for it.

I think there is a cultural thing here. You expect to know better that the people designing the system you are using.

I was talking about having a SPG and non-AI computer backing up a primary AI computer. What additional redundancy are you alluding to?

All the rest, you could do a 20m reef dive in a twinset with an extra stage and still be safe to carry on if a regulator dies, but it would be pointless really. Similarly you could take two masks, two torches etc on a shallow daytime dive. All extra hassle for little real benefit. With the spg and AI example it isn’t so much a likely equipment failure as a user failure that will result in needing the backup (not pairing) that is a much more likely failure so the spg is barely redundant in my opinion.

My point is that you carry enough kit/have a buddy to get out in the case of a single failure. When that failure happens training says to get out.

I think there is a cultural thing here. You expect to know better that the people designing the system you are using.

:rofl3: Not a systems administrator, are you? :cry:

:rofl3: Not a systems administrator, are you? :cry:
No. I spend 20% of my time doing real work and the rest getting it past the systems people so it can be deployed. But that 20% includes anticipating issues and figuring out what to do about them ahead of time. Sometimes I deal with new and interesting live issues and that is actually more fun but likely to be more expensive too.

I am more confused than when I started reading this post

Quick question:

Scubapro Chromis?

370 on divers supply ?

I will buy two, one for my son and one for myself, rec divers, first computer.

Thoughts?

I am more confused than when I started reading this post

Quick question:

Scubapro Chromis?

370 on divers supply ?

I will buy two, one for my son and one for myself, rec divers, first computer.

Thoughts?

Rotten computer. Battery issues since day one. That one and the Meridian are lemons. Stay far away.

Rating: 1 star / 5

I used a Veo 2.0 prior to my Petrel 2 - almost 200 dives on it with no complaints or issues. I see no practical difference with the impact of the change of algorithms on my diving with my switch (which was primarily driven by the screen - old eyes)

GCarter Do you know how the Oceanic VEO2.0 compares to the Oceanic GEO 2.0 ?

I ned to purchase 2 computers, rec diver, I am not a fan of the deep stop algorithm however it states that the deep stop option can be turned off

@scubadada is your guy here!

GCarter Do you know how the Oceanic VEO2.0 compares to the Oceanic GEO 2.0 ?

I ned to purchase 2 computers, rec diver, I am not a fan of the deep stop algorithm however it states that the deep stop option can be turned off

@Murphy in NC

I've been diving a Geo2 as backup to a VT3 for 7 years, no personal experience with Veo2. I have found the Geo2 entirely reliable, simple battery change. My VT3 is a puck, battery change only slightly more complicated.

Geo2 is watch size with 2 gas, Veo2 is puck with one gas. Both are Oceanic dual algorithm, DSAT and PZ+. Both allow deep stop on/off, I have never enabled the function. Both require optional cable to computer download. Geo2 about $50 more expensive

Best of luck in your computer purchases

Thanks

After everything IO have read I want to purchase the shearwater perdix AI however I have to buy two of everything and I dont want my fist computer purchase to be 2200 so I am looking for moderate algorithm and I would like to purchase a good first computer and then purchase shearwater later on down the road

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom