Mass confusion about computers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would imagine that divers suffer DCS using all computers and all algorthms within NDL. I would wager some of those episodes are due to other diver errors and some are unexplained and demonstrate the bell-shaped curve of human response.
Hey, it's poor form to answer a rhetorical question!

A pro whose ass is on the line if you get hurt may be the best source of info

I think this would make a great follow-up to @lowviz's "who am I talking to" thread.

Information from someone with a duty of care should be recognized to be coming from a biased source. They are inherently biased to give you information that does not expose them to risk. E.g. an engaged dive professional is very unlikely to tell a recreational diver anything other than "if your SPG fails, end the dive immediately." An experienced diver who has no duty of care might tell the same recreational diver, "learn your SAC. Know your SAC. Monitor your tank pressure closely. If your SPG fails, use your knowledge and judgment to decide when to end the dive."

Are you saying that it is ok to tell a diver to continue after their kit fails?

Incident pit - Wikipedia

Maybe I am lucky, all my instructors seem to have wanted me to get out of the water ok regardless of the consequences for them.

Maybe I am lucky, all my instructors seem to have wanted me to get out of the water ok regardless of the consequences for them.

Or maybe all your instructors don't live in the United States of Litigation.

Are you saying that it is ok to tell a diver to continue after their kit fails?

No.

But, I AM saying that it is okay to tell divers that they are the ultimate authority and have the ultimate responsibility for what they do. Divers need to make decisions for themselves, not just take somebody's word for it.

I am also saying that when a diver gets advice from anyone, they should do what they can to understand the background of the advice giver, including any and all factors that may influence the advice that person gives.

With a little redundancy, you wouldn't have to quit either
The point of redundancy is to enable getting out of the water unhurt. Adding redundancy beyond that gains little (saving the very rare dive with a failure) but costs complexity and perhaps weight etc. In the specific case of an SPG backup up AI this might not apply, but the rest of the time continuing the dive will lead to WTF did he do that questions in the incidents and accidents forum if it doesn’t work out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom