Mask with PURGE or NO PURGE ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is lots of information on the board on purge vs. non-purge mask. Do a search. Many varied opinions.

I have a beard and use a Tusa Platina Hyperdry - purge The valve is under the left eye, instead of on the nose piece. I like it, and no longer are concerned with the small leaks inherent with beards.

I've never had a problem with a purge valve mask. You can clear your mask "on the fly" while swimming in a horizontal position. I don't understand why anyone would want a mask without a purge valve.

"You can clear your mask "on the fly" while swimming in a horizontal position."

Also very easy with no purge.

The purge solves a problem that doesn't exist. In doing so, it creates an additional failure point. The purge mask has absolutely no advantage over a non purge mask.

I don't understand why anyone would want a mask with a purge valve.

ew1usnr once bubbled...
I've never had a problem with a purge valve mask. You can clear your mask "on the fly" while swimming in a horizontal position.

And you can't do that without a purge mask? I'd suggest you work on your basic skills a little.

I don't understand why anyone would want a mask without a purge valve.

Well as Walter already pointed out, why would anyone add a failure point (and we're not talking quick releases here but something that actually does fail regularly) to an important piece of equipment to solve a problem that simply does not exist?

Another problem with purge masks is that many of them can interfere with clearing your ears if you, like many people, have to use the Valsalva manuver to clear.

This is just one of those FWIW comments but I have had purge valve masks in the past, several hundred dives worth I expect, and never had any failure of any type. That said I now have several of the low volume masks without purge valves and couldn't be happier.

I find purge masks easier with mitts since there is the loss of dexterity and I find that diving with a video camera, under certain conditions, is sometimes easier when you can clear the mask by just exhaling.

These comments inserted I will retire to the fringes of the discussion.

This "failure point" argument gets way over used. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a purge mask and for situations where a beard or mustache may cause slight and nearly continuous leaks, a purge is preferrable to the periodic distraction of having to clear a mask. The example of carrying camera equipment is also a very valid reason to use a purge equipped mask. Why should a photographer have to readjust everything to clear a conventional mask when it could more readily be done with a purge? Try clearing a conventional mask on the fly with both hands full and the advantages of a purge become obvious.

I have seen the mushroom valve in the purge get caught on in it's frame causing a leak, but this occurs during travel to the site in the dive bag, not in the water. This problem is easily found and corrected at the surface with no new parts required. Not exactly the dreaded "purge mask of death".

Some of the posts here are just plain insulting insulting and to imply that using a purge valve equipped mask is tantamount to having a basic scuba skills deficiency is asinine. It is not an issue that requirs a philosophical debate but rather just one of personal choice and there is nothing wrong with choosing to use a purge mask.

Everybody is entitiled to an opinion, they are not however entitled to be an jerk about expressing it. A little less lip and a little more tolerance would go a long way toward making this board a more enjoyable place to be.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
This "failure point" argument gets way over used.

Until they fail. I've seen it happen more than once.

Some of the posts here are just plain insulting insulting and to imply that using a purge valve equipped mask is tantamount to having a basic scuba skills deficiency is asinine.

Not being able to clear your mask is a basic scuba skills deficiency. You are attempting to put words in my mouth. I never said that using a purge mask indicated a deficiency in skills. I suggested to the person who basicly said he could not clear a regular mask in the horizontal position should learn to do so. Mask clearing is an important skill, one of the very first a new student is taught. I should be practiced until it is easy.

Everybody is entitiled to an opinion, they are not however entitled to be an jerk about expressing it. A little less lip and a little more tolerance would go a long way toward making this board a more enjoyable place to be.

I guess if you make giant leaps of logic as you did above a lot of people are going to appear to be jerks to you. Personally, I think sarcastic statments like "purge mask of death" and calling a person asinine[sic] are quite lippy, as you put it.

IMO those who purchase purge masks may not be doing so because the CAN'T clear a mask. Clearing your mask is quite easy and a very basic skill as James pointed out. I purchased a purge mask b/c I have a beard. My mustache CAN cause some problems with leaking. It's not overly consistant but when it does leak it seams to do it quite a bit. Much easier to use the purge than it is clearing your mask 10-15 times during an hour long dive. It gets to be a pain in the ass so the purge solves that problem/irritation.

I have a furry face. I have no clearing issues.

There's virtually no difference in ease of clearing purge or non purge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom