Mask with PURGE or NO PURGE ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for you.

I have tried a number of masks and have not found one that does not leak ON MY FACE. If you don't have the issue then great. I do and have found a way to handle the situation.

The point is that for some of us furry faces, we havn't yet found as good a mask fit as you have Walter. That's great for you; I'm jealous.

But for the rest of us, clearing, which is a very easy and basic skill, is not something I like to do every few minutes. With purge, it becomes automatic, requires no hands, and doesn't distract from the fun of the dive.

Are you not reading what I've been writing? My mask leaks. I clear my mask. Without purge, it becomes automatic, requires no hands, and doesn't distract from the fun of the dive.

Use the purge mask if you like, but if you believe you need the purge, you are mistaken.

Walter once bubbled...
You can clear your mask "on the fly" while swimming in a horizontal position. "Also very easy with no purge."

I should not have implied otherwise. Those who oppose purge valves are correct in that:

There is no necessity for a purge valve. They correct a problem that does not exist. It creates a failure point. An inability to clear a standard mask indicates a lack of basic skills.

That being said, I will fly in the face of all that is right and good and proclaim that I still like my purge valve masks. I've only had one instance of a valve leaking and that was when a blade of grass got caught under the flapper. But, the front cover can be pulled off so the problem was quickly corrected.

ew1usnr once bubbled...
An inability to clear a standard mask indicates a lack of basic skills.

Good to see you weren't mortaly wounded when I said the same :wink:. Also good to hear that is not a problem you have.

As far as failures, they probably don't happen often with equipment that is well maintained. You are probably someone who takes care of their stuff. As I said, I have seen them fail, but abuse is a likely culpret.

You don't want to get me started on the "add on" purges though. Those are almost guaranteed to fail.

James

I hvae a couple of masks, both Mares. I don't remember the name of my first mask, but it was very difficult to wear it such that it would clear well due to its strap location.

My Lyrica, however, has a higher pivot, and I can easily clear it hands-free. This is why I immediately replaced my first Lyrica when a strong surf ripped it off and carried it beyond my vision.

So for some there may be no understanding of someone would want a purge vavlve, but I fully understand the desire and realize that some masks are better for hands-free clearing than others.

I have heard that exhailing though the nose with a purge
mask while descending can cause just enough pressure to
equalize the ears, hands free.

Trig
:)

Mentioning of failure is a posibility for purge masks. But another question arises above them all; masks with purge do not fit everyone, as to, low volume masks will bother few at the top arch of their nose.

Few big nosed individuals will find purge valve a bit of a distress because of their nose rubbing the plastic purge valve and thus resulting in bloody nose...not from pressure but from scraping of the skin.

Also, it's harder to squeeze the nose of those who have smaller nose. the plastic valve will interupt the two fingers while it digs in to equalize.

pretty much, you have to have a "normal" sized nose to be able to wear a mask with purge....and those who think they have a big/small nose and say they have no problem...think again before flaming me...you have a normal nose if you can work around it.

TRIG once bubbled...
I have heard that exhailing though the nose with a purge
mask while descending can cause just enough pressure to
equalize the ears, hands free.

Trig
:)

wherever you heard that, i would like to say it's wrong. i'm tired so i won't go into it...but just know that it's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom