Mask with PURGE or NO PURGE ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many methods of equalizing the pressure in your ears, some of them, Beance Tubaire Voluntaire (BTV) or Voluntary Tubal Opening is an example, are hands free.

Tingkka,

I have a purge valve that is NOT on the nose piece. It's located at the bottom of the left lens, so, no interference with nose. I got it just for the reasons you indicate - so it doesn't get in the way.

Tusa Platina Hyperdry...

I've used masks of both varieties and due to my mustache I've preferred the purge-valve model, although I can attest to the nose rubbing the plastic. This only occurs when my reg decides to go buoyant and pushes my mask up a tad.

I rarely have difficulties equalizing without pinching the nose but I could see where a purge valve could be a problem.

In terms of it being a potential point of failure, I've logged dozens of dives while using a purge valve and the worst thing I've ever had happen was a grain of sand becoming lodged in the valve. A little annoying, but not something that could've ended a dive.

I suppose when it really comes down to it you have to weigh adding another point of failure for the luxury of effortless mask clearing. If you only occasionally need to clear your mask I wouldn't bother with the purge valve.

I am a Divemaster working in Thailand. I have used both types of mask. I prefer a non purge. I think it makes for a stronger mask. Also I have no problem clearing with out a purge valve. But it really comes down to personal preferance.

I have a purge valve that is NOT on the nose piece. It's located at the bottom of the left lens, so, no interference with nose. I got it just for the reasons you indicate - so it doesn't get in the way.

yea...i was kind of bias in speaking only for the mask with the purge on the nose. some masks do have purge valve elsewhere, as to the one you have where it's built on the frame. i spoke about the nose purge valve because of t he majority of the masks with purge are located on nose and i also hear a lot of complaint with people who have them stating that their nose hurt or have hard time equalizing.

Andrew VA once bubbled...
I've used masks of both varieties and due to my mustache I've preferred the purge-valve model, although I can attest to the nose rubbing the plastic. This only occurs when my reg decides to go buoyant and pushes my mask up a tad.

I rarely have difficulties equalizing without pinching the nose but I could see where a purge valve could be a problem.

In terms of it being a potential point of failure, I've logged dozens of dives while using a purge valve and the worst thing I've ever had happen was a grain of sand becoming lodged in the valve. A little annoying, but not something that could've ended a dive.

I suppose when it really comes down to it you have to weigh adding another point of failure for the luxury of effortless mask clearing. If you only occasionally need to clear your mask I wouldn't bother with the purge valve.

in regards to failure point, you have experienced it with the grain of sand. imagine those people who rarely take care of t heir equipments, those who just toss them in their bag and would wash it 4 months later when it starts stinking up the garage. their valve will have crystalized salt and detilerating silicone valve that will no longer function correctly. you may replace the valve, however. But that requires effort in doing so; driving to the store, buying the valve, getting the old valve off, putting the new valve on (and it's not that easy), then hoping it works by testing it out in pool. i mean...i may be wrong...but this is just point view on purge mask. it all depends on people.

tingkka once bubbled...

in regards to failure point, you have experienced it with the grain of sand. imagine those people who rarely take care of t heir equipments, those who just toss them in their bag and would wash it 4 months later when it starts stinking up the garage. their valve will have crystalized salt and detilerating silicone valve that will no longer function correctly. you may replace the valve, however. But that requires effort in doing so; driving to the store, buying the valve, getting the old valve off, putting the new valve on (and it's not that easy), then hoping it works by testing it out in pool. i mean...i may be wrong...but this is just point view on purge mask. it all depends on people.

Very good point. I'm probably the only person I know that does a final wash and rinse of my equipment with distilled water upon returning from a trip.

I have both the TUSA Platina and the TUSA Platina Hyperdry I never use the purge in the hyperdry, I just clear the mask as if where a regular platina. It was much more expensive and not much use. If you clear your mask regularly to equalize pressure and clear out a bit of water you get use to not having a purge valve. I used a several dacor masks with purge valves that I never cut open the little vents on.

I will be going back to a non purge mask as I have found that the purge valve makes it harder for me to pinch my nose to equalize. I am new to diving with only 17 logged dives since certification this summer, so I am sure there are more skills for me to perfect. I purchased the purge mask because I thought that it would be more conveinent to clear minus the interfacing with my hands. I had no problem clearing my mask during my check-out though.

Mitten Diver

Back
Top Bottom