Mask with HUD, & wireless connection to computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know of a mask with a digital head-up-display that can connect wirelessly to a wrist-mounted or hose-mounted computer?

I see there is this Oceanic DataMask product, but it puts the entire computer directly into the mask, which makes the mask extremely expensive. Masks do occasionally get lost so if you lose this one, you are out quite a pile o' cash. Also... it has been discontinued...

Oceanic DataMask HUD | Scuba Center | Oceanic Heads-up Display Diving Mask | Oceanic Wireless Air Integrated Dive Computers

It would make more sense for a mask HUD to be much less sophisticated, basically just a display and a wireless connection to a separate computer. If you lose your mask, now it's only a few hundred to replace, rather than a thousand or more.

This would also allow for cross-platform support and a range of different mask and computer manufacturers, following a common communications standard across all mask HUDs.

This is the gizmo age. I want to see and know everything instantly all the time, with a rear view camera and a digital depth gauge updated 30 times a second and accurate to the millimeter.

(Though really all I really want right now, is an in-mask depth gauge to always provide a reference for safe ascent and descent rates.)

Does anyone know of a mask with a digital head-up-display that can connect wirelessly to a wrist-mounted or hose-mounted computer?

I see there is this Oceanic DataMask product, but it puts the entire computer directly into the mask, which makes the mask extremely expensive. Masks do occasionally get lost so if you lose this one, you are out quite a pile o' cash. Also... it has been discontinued...

Oceanic DataMask HUD | Scuba Center | Oceanic Heads-up Display Diving Mask | Oceanic Wireless Air Integrated Dive Computers

It would make more sense for a mask HUD to be much less sophisticated, basically just a display and a wireless connection to a separate computer. If you lose your mask, now it's only a few hundred to replace, rather than a thousand or more.

This would also allow for cross-platform support and a range of different mask and computer manufacturers, following a common communications standard across all mask HUDs.
The difficulty there is that you are asking for the transfer of quite a lot of data without wires, through water, and to have it update rapidly. That's a very difficult problem technically, compared to sending the tiny bit of data needed for tank pressure. In air it would be easy, in water, not so much... And to have a display in a mask you need processing and associated electronics, so you will end up with a computer of sorts in such a mask regardless.

There are a few heads up displays, the Shearwater NERD is an example, that provide a heads up function independent of the mask you use. But they use wires, and are mostly oriented towards rebreather divers.

Ron

This is the gizmo age. I want to see and know everything instantly all the time, with a rear view camera and a digital depth gauge updated 30 times a second and accurate to the millimeter.

(Though really all I really want right now, is an in-mask depth gauge to always provide a reference for safe ascent and descent rates.)
that's easy
just invent it.

other option : learn to dive, and dive, dive, dive, and dive more.
after, you will not have to look at your gauge and your computer every second because you will know what you're doing.

There are a few heads up displays, the Shearwater NERD is an example, that provide a heads up function independent of the mask you use.

From researching that, I see that the NERD is primarily intended to mount onto a rebreather hose loop but is also compatible with air and nitrox diving.

Oh well, I guess that's a good reason to buy a MOD-1 WITH OPTIONAL HOLLIS BOV POD even if I am not certified for rebreather yet. Can just use the 2nd stage and clamp the NERD onto the unused capped rebreather sockets, on the BOV POD.

Yep, that looks like the right place to start buying equipment, for someone who will be completing their PADI OW dives in two weeks. Might as well get the good stuff right away. ;-)

(Though probably will keep looking. The NERD does not also have open-circuit air integration. For its $2000 price tag, my response is.... wtf...)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom