Lessons Mask strap broke during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting that you say most people are not comfortable in water without a mask. You may be correct. Am I alone in thinking this should not be true if you sign up for SCUBA?
It is one thing to swim or briefly dive w/o a mask, e.g., jump off a cliff to surface a few seconds later. It is another thing to lose your mask while scuba diving. While observing various drills, mask removal/replacement seems to cause the most concern, at least in recreational divers.

I carry a back up mask on cave dives, but I wouldn’t bother on OW no-deco dives, solo or otherwise. I can easily and safely ascend to the surface without a mask. I have had my mask kicked off by an enthusiastic thrasher on a crowded reef, but I just put it back on. Worst case, if you needed to see your gauges you could hold the mask in place if the strap broke.

I’m not saying its a bad idea to carry a back up mask on all dives, but for the type of OW diving I do, it’s just not something I personally would need. Someone in very cold water, on a deeper semi-technical dive, sure I can see it. And for cave diving or other overhead, it’s a requirement.

What’s probably more important for an OW recreational diver is to practice getting comfortable without a mask on for a few minutes, or at least with a flooded mask. That’s a skill you’ll need regardless of whether you have a spare or not.

I had a friend who used to carry a pair of swim goggles as a back up mask. He would clear it using his regulator and could only ascend, but it did sort-of work for him.

This was covered in the SDI Solo Diver course. A backup mask is standard equipment on every solo dive, along with a long list of other redundant backups. Switching masks and swimming without one are required skills, just like for almost any Tec course, and for mostly the same reasons. In order to complete the dive safely, you will need to ascend properly, whether that entails mandatory decompression or just safety stop accompanied by safe ascent rates. If it's a shore dive (especially with a DPV), it may be highly desirable to be able to navigate back to the entry point underwater rather than ending the dive and surfacing in open ocean miles offshore. Those tasks are greatly facilitated by being able to see.
you are absolutely right regarding the standard equipment in the sdi solo diver course. After that it s a personnal choice to either or not go along with with it.

For exemple some people will get rid of the octo and other will keep it.

Another exemple but it s not in the sdi course some people will carry 2 dsmb i personally don't.

Back on topic after 200 buddy dive and 58 solo dive i never had a problem with a mask. I am pretty comfortable to swim ascent etc.. without a mask. Like another mention this should not be and issue if a situation arise. Priority number one while underwater should be to continuously breathe from gas.

This being said i will tuck in that extra mask now anyway just in case...🤩

Be safe

I carry a back up mask on cave dives, but I wouldn’t bother on OW no-deco dives, solo or otherwise. I can easily and safely ascend to the surface without a mask. I have had my mask kicked off by an enthusiastic thrasher on a crowded reef, but I just put it back on. Worst case, if you needed to see your gauges you could hold the mask in place if the strap broke.

I’m not saying its a bad idea to carry a back up mask on all dives, but for the type of OW diving I do, it’s just not something I personally would need. Someone in very cold water, on a deeper semi-technical dive, sure I can see it. And for cave diving or other overhead, it’s a requirement.

What’s probably more important for an OW recreational diver is to practice getting comfortable without a mask on for a few minutes, or at least with a flooded mask. That’s a skill you’ll need regardless of whether you have a spare or not.

I had a friend who used to carry a pair of swim goggles as a back up mask. He would clear it using his regulator and could only ascend, but it did sort-of work for him.
Put it that way... you can ascend, yes.
But you may lose a mask! I'd hate to lose mine, I grow attached to old stuff.
If it goes to the bottom, with a backup you can find it easier.

It is one thing to swim or briefly dive w/o a mask, e.g., jump off a cliff to surface a few seconds later. It is another thing to lose your mask while scuba diving. While observing various drills, mask removal/replacement seems to cause the most concern, at least in recreational divers.
You have a point. I am only assuming I would not panic at depth and reach the surface fine.

?? What was your solo class? SDI? PADI?

sdi sorry so english is not my first language so short story long i practice a lot swimming without the mask before the class itself. For the class i had an extra mask. Once training and course pass i didnt bring one during the following dives.

Be safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom