Lessons Mask strap broke during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is kind of a ski goggle strap, probably my next purchase:

Fourth Element mask strap
Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 2.47.41 PM.png

I've never carried a spare on me during a dive, just one back in the car. Guess I figure I could make a safe ascent without a mask.

My wife had her mask kicked off by another diver (not me) at 70 feet in Dominica in April. Luckily both I and a divemaster were nearby and could assist. I had to physically fight her to keep her from panic swimming to the surface. (Makes me thankful my RK3s are such powerful kicking fins) After a minute she was ok as I recovered the mask and gave it to her to put back on.

In her defense she is a purely clear and warm water "tourist" recreational diver and doesn't carry a spare mask or train for this kind of thing. The boys and I do cold water low viz dives pretty regularly and have prepped for this scenario. And I always carry a spare mask on dives, including the clear tropical ones, and think everyone should.

Never broken a strap but I have ripped the attachment pins off the mask's skirt.

you don't actually need the strap.

In 47 years of diving, I have had two incidents involving my mask. 1) while looking at all of the lovely corals along a reef in Roatan, I had a noobie from another boat gently alight upon me [dropped from the surface down about 45'] taking my mask off with his fin; 2) while diving an older GSD mask [I dive vintage equipment] the rubber strap snapped at the buckle.

I have used Marsoops neoprene/nylon mask straps for over 15 years now, great products and never had a worry about strap breakage.

I believe the word you’re looking for is “velcro”.
Technically it is hook and pile. "Velcro" is a trademark name. Kinda of like tissue and Kleenex or photocopy and Xerox copy.

I now return folks back to the slap strap discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom