Lessons Mask strap broke during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow just this Sunday i had to demonstrate this skill a few times.. always good to practice.

This was covered in the SDI Solo Diver course. A backup mask is standard equipment on every solo dive, along with a long list of other redundant backups. Switching masks and swimming without one are required skills, just like for almost any Tec course, and for mostly the same reasons. In order to complete the dive safely, you will need to ascend properly, whether that entails mandatory decompression or just safety stop accompanied by safe ascent rates. If it's a shore dive (especially with a DPV), it may be highly desirable to be able to navigate back to the entry point underwater rather than ending the dive and surfacing in open ocean miles offshore. Those tasks are greatly facilitated by being able to see.

Yesterday while doing a solo dive my mask strap broke.
Halfway through the dive I felt the need to lift my mask off my face because I got a bit of squeeze.
The mask just came off my face. I thought I'd yanked it off my head, so I tried to place it on my face then lower the strap on the back side of my head but it came off again. I then realized the strap had broken.
Luckily I had a spare in my pocket and just put it on.

There was a bit of a current that day and by the time I figured out it was broken and replaced it I was pretty far off the site.

It wasn't even an old mask. Around 100 dives or a year and always stored indoors.

Carrying a spare mask is always a good idea and with the new low profile frameless models there's really no reason not to stash one on your person.
I realize that one could always hold it on to their face and just abort the dive, but what if it snapped off and you couldn't grab it before it sank or went with a current.

Food for thought.
never taught to bring one really after 58 solo dive might change now !

My experience suggests that most people are not comfortable in water without a mask, and the level of discomfort is significant enough to lead to panic, additional problems. You can minimize these risks by becoming more comfortable in water without mask.

1. Practice taking mask off during dives. Also, try swimming and ascending without a mask. You will need dive buddies for these drills as you get started.

2. Identify a mask model that fits you well. By three masks of that model. 2 stay with you during the dive, one in the car.

3. Rotate masks. Label the masks and always take a different combination on your dives to ensure that all masks work.

Agencies are one thing, instructors are other.

Never taught or thought?

Strange if the former. I imagine all training agencies would highlight the importance of a spare mask.
i did complete my solo diving certification about a month ago didn't see the need to have one as backup so far

Never taught or thought?

Strange if the former. I imagine all training agencies would highlight the importance of a spare mask.
ah sorry thought i am like celia cruz my english is not really beautiful 🤩.

My experience suggests that most people are not comfortable in water without a mask, and the level of discomfort is significant enough to lead to panic, additional problems. You can minimize these risks by becoming more comfortable in water without mask.

1. Practice taking mask off during dives. Also, try swimming and ascending without a mask. You will need dive buddies for these drills as you get started.

2. Identify a mask model that fits you well. By three masks of that model. 2 stay with you during the dive, one in the car.

3. Rotate masks. Label the masks and always take a different combination on your dives to ensure that all masks work.
Interesting that you say most people are not comfortable in water without a mask. You may be correct. Am I alone in thinking this should not be true if you sign up for SCUBA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom