Mask Search - Alternative to Omer Alien

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appreciate the suggestion! I considered trying that mask already, but it's very similar to the Hollis M1 I already have.
It is indeed. The DGX frameless mask is what I keep as a backup in my drysuit pocket in case of an issue with my Hollis M1. On my face, I really can't tell them apart. The DGX mask is a great value. But only if it fits properly.

While I don’t know “stuff” have you tried loosening the straps on the D mask?

I was a long time user of Cressi Calibro (still my backup mask) since it was the only mask that actually fitted me w/o any problems.
I've tried a mass of frame-less masks and only the Xdeep Radical fitted me, so I switched to it.

I've tried the following:
1. Cressi Big Eyes
2. Beauchat MaxLux (both regualr and S)
3. Scubapro Frameless (Square) mask
4. Mares Essense frameless
5. Cressi F1
6. Whole bunch of chinese/taiwanese masks

They're all low volume, but calibro and Radical are the only ones that fit.
So far, every person who's tried the Radical made it fit, and our whole club switched to it.

I suffer your same fate and have used extensively the Micromask, Alien and others. Nose pocket pain! For free diving, try the Cressi Nano, it is cut just a tad different from the Micromask and is much more comfortable. For scuba, I have found THE most comfortable mask (and its pretty low profile, not like the Nano though) is the Beuchat Mundial. A lot of companies have copied it so be careful, they may look like it but dont fit like the Mundial. I do know that Halcyon for a while sold it rebranded, Diverite has one but I dont know if it is a rebrand or a knock off. Ive tried on knockoffs that dont even fit. Nose pocket is perfect in the Mundial.

I'd really like to try the Beuchat Mundial, as you're not the first person I've read about who loves it. It seems difficult to get a hold of right now, though. I did a (quick) search on Google and couldn't find any shops in the US that have it in stock.

It is indeed. The DGX frameless mask is what I keep as a backup in my drysuit pocket in case of an issue with my Hollis M1. On my face, I really can't tell them apart. The DGX mask is a great value. But only if it fits properly.

Thanks for the confirmation!

While I don’t know “stuff” have you tried loosening the straps on the D mask?

Good question, and yes, I have. The frame still presses into my forehead between my eyes on dives. I wondered if this was because I wasn't equalizing it well while diving, but I don't think that is the case. Just the way my face is shaped.

I was a long time user of Cressi Calibro (still my backup mask) since it was the only mask that actually fitted me w/o any problems.
I've tried a mass of frame-less masks and only the Xdeep Radical fitted me, so I switched to it.

I've tried the following:
1. Cressi Big Eyes
2. Beauchat MaxLux (both regualr and S)
3. Scubapro Frameless (Square) mask
4. Mares Essense frameless
5. Cressi F1
6. Whole bunch of chinese/taiwanese masks

They're all low volume, but calibro and Radical are the only ones that fit.
So far, every person who's tried the Radical made it fit, and our whole club switched to it.

That XDeep mask looks really similar to the M1 and DGX Ultra View. Glad you and your club like it!

I don't; it doesn't fit me very well.

I have a couple mares low volume masks that fit very well. a Star and and a Tana (I think). I prefer the Tana but star fits just as well on my kinda bony face; both are cheap too.

Also had a great low volume mask from Piranha, no idea the model but it was a lot like the Tana which I got when the piranha one was stolen.

I'm going to get my hands on the Mares Tana. It looks really similar to the Alien, but with a different nose pocket. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'd really like to try the Beuchat Mundial, as you're not the first person I've read about who loves it. It seems difficult to get a hold of right now, though. I did a (quick) search on Google and couldn't find any shops in the US that have it in stock.

Check with Diverite and/or Halcyon, I believe they sell the rebranded version of the Mundial

That XDeep mask looks really similar to the M1 and DGX Ultra View. Glad you and your club like it!
Yeah, quite similar. I haven't had the chance to try them, but I'm getting the feeling that they would fit the same.

Check with Diverite and/or Halcyon, I believe they sell the rebranded version of the Mundial

You're right, they both do. Well, at least they look exactly the same. I'll try the Dive Rite one (ES125) as well as the Tana.

I've set about finding a better fitting mask and ordered four smaller "spearfishing/freediving" masks, none of which fit: Omer Alien, Aqualung Technisub Micromask, Mako Minimus, and the Cressi Calibro.

I scuba dive, swim laps in scuba masks, and eventually will try free diving. I like the idea of a smaller, low profile mask... I currently do everything in a Hollis M1, which is comfortable and seals decently, but it is objectively too wide for my face. My backup mask is a ScubaPro D Mask, but that presses into my brow so I don't wear it when diving.

The Omer Alien was perfect except for the nose pocket. When I put the Alien on it was an "aha" moment... It sealed almost without any inhale (snorkel stuffed in mouth) and felt like it was made for my face. I about saw the light... Until I felt the underside of my nose being squashed. The nose pocket is shaped for a pig, or Michael Jackson, or someone else with an upturned nose... It's not flat on the bottom, but angled sharply upwards. Does anyone know of a mask that has a similar (or same) fit as the Omer Alien that also sports a normal-shaped (large would be nice) nose pocket with a flat bottom?

Thanks for the tips. I know I have to try them on... I'll go through that hassle. I'd like suggestions from people who've tried on/used the Alien and other masks. I tried on literally 20-25 masks before finding the M1 as a decent fit, so what's another 20 to find the "perfect" fit? :D
Try placing some food-grade silicone gel around around the lip of the mask. Sometimes you just need time for the mask to settle to your face.

Well, I tried a few more and the jury is still out. @jadairiii The DiveRite/Mundial-esque mask didn't fit me. The frame pressed on my brow and the side of my nose bridge (did I mention I have a crooked nose?). @Snodge The Mares Tana might fit... If I position it a little low, the frame kind of misses my brow so it might work. Or, it might be a vice and give me a headache like the ScubaPro D mask.

I'm still searching. I'll update this thread in case someone else can benefit in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom