Mask Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeLo

Registered
Reaction score
I purchased an Oceanic Shadow and took it out today to try it out. Now, the top part of the glass barely grazes my brow but when i dive down deep and pressure builds up it presses up against my brow and i wnated to know if anyone else experienced this with that mask and if theres a way to fix it.
Also this is prob a newb question but to equalize i usually pinch my nose and blow but sometimes that causes the mask to leak is there a better way to do this?

First of all it sounds like a case of mask squeeze. Are you using this for scuba or skin diving? It can happen in either form of diving but it's guaranteed when skin-diving. Just blow a little air into the mask to puff it up.

As for leaking while doing the valsalva maneuver, yes there are alternatives. If the mask is a good fit then it's not usually a problem but we are all unique. Pinch gently, you don't need to excessively distort the mask or squash your shnozzola.

Other techniques include swallowing, jaw thrusts and more shown here.

Pete

As an alternative possibility, the mask skirt may be a little too big for you.

is the strap too tight? Or placed too far down you neck rather than in the middle of the back of your head??

Try it again uw without the strap for a few minutes to determine if it is a strap problem.

No the strap is not tight, the skirt makes a good enough suction on my face..the only problem is taht top part of the glass where the right and left lens connect, pushing against my brow when it pressrues, but i'll try the blow out techniqe. thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom