Mask leaks and Mustaches!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you out there have mustaches that are always causing mask leaks, but I know that I have fought this problem mainly because I refuse to shave the top side of my mustache or put vasaline on it or any other ridiculous looking modifications so that my mask won't leak. Well I may have some good news in that in my endless search of trying different masks even though most instructors and dive shop owners will tell you none of them will work perfectly, I have found a couple that come pretty close, and not just for myself but many of the others that I personally dive with and several others that the dive shop I sometimes work with has let try them, the masks I am talking about are the Tusa Splendive 2 and the Tusa Splendive 4..I don't know why they work so well but they do. I realize that they won't work for everybody but for you guys out there with a mustache, give them a try...Just thought I would share that with my fellow whisker-fish :mean:

They also work well with BIG noses!!

Hmm, I may have to try them. I've been looking for another mask that fits me as well as the one I've got. I use a U.S. Divers or Aqualung Pacifica mask. I have a full beard and moustach and this mask fits me absolutely perfectly. The only drawback is it's rather high volume and I would prefer more peripheral vision.

On the bright side, no leaks and I don't have to trim the stash!

Yeah, my bud has a full beard. He uses a low volume TUSA and apparently has no problem. Actually, the one he has now is a replacement. We traded some things and he ended up with an identical spare which I just happened to have laying around. (The plastic buckle broke on his original TUSA mask).

I don't believe there's any way to seal a mask with a full grown mustache - I know there isn't with mine. I never really gave it much thought until approached by others who had flooding problems with theirs, and then I started studying what I do - which is to keep the tiniest bit of air coming out of my nose almost constantly, thus keeping a little positive head pressure on the air in the mask and not allowing any water to come in through the mustache.
I shaved it off a few years ago - my wife and my youngest daughter harmonized, and loudly, "grow it back, daddy" so shaving isn't an option.
Rick

I use a TUSA Platina model M-20QB (black skirt and strap, not the hyperdry) and I've got nary a leak. I don't do anything to my mustache.

TUSA makes nice masks.

Roak

Well since the durn thing is so sexy...

I trim it close and use a mask with a purge valve and blow through the nose often. Don't even notice clearing the mask anymore.

I have also found that as I go deeper it leaks less. No leak after 80 ft.

I have just learned to live with a little leak. I'm now constantly exhaling through my nose to keep the water level low. I like to stop every once and a while and just look around, catch the sites, that's the perfect time to purge the mask, watch the bubbles rise to the surface.

- Wind

I just have my mustache waxed about once a month. Smooth as a babies behind....works for me! =-x

Sorry Guys....I couldn't help myself!

Hi TRUETEXAN,

The reason why your splendive mask works so good is because tusa is the foremost authority in masks!! Their silicoln is pure crystal silicoln and the frame work is superior. Not a saleman for the company but do use the product and haven't owned anything as good..

As a matter of fact tusa does make masks for other companys and there designs have been copied and stolen by scam artists out there...

OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!
:D

NINJA=-)

:yellow:Sorry guys .. I use the old tried and true method of SPIT. cheep, endless supply, works great.
:yellow:

also a great mask defogger... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom