Mask/Hood problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle:
Thanks for all the tips. Next dive I'm going to give some of this a try to see if I can resolve the problem. I know the mask skirt isn't the problem because that is the first thing I check, and when putting it on make sure it is sealed under the hood.

Andy, I haven't tried the mask under the hood yet, but that was my next idea. I'm going to try that and see what happens.

Thanks!

One point extra point for men...make sure you shave well before a dive trip...whiskers tend to let water into the mask up through the mask skirt nose area.

I use a hood in mostly cold water diving...quite obvious, but everyone is different when it comes to individual comfort and fit. Cutting out extra vent holes is always a good idea...have you tried a hooded vest? A hooded vest may have a better fit.

I usually put my mask on first and then pull up my hood...that way I know my mask skirt is not caught up with my hood skirt....I run my fingers through anyway just to be sure. I use this technique with my mask strap underneath my hood in case my mask ever gets hit...it will still be on my head and not floating off.

Just my 02.

I basically have two different masks according to the hood I am diving.
I have a 3mm very flexible hood for warm water diving and with this I can use a larger panoramic mask with no problems because the hood does not apply much pressure to the skirt.
However if I try to use the same mask with my colder water tight fitting semi rigid 7mm hood with a tight neoprene seal the mask leaks constantly because the hood overlapping the skirt alters the mask seal angle. So for this tighter hood I have a mask with a much smaller skirt and the mask material is a little more rigid. With this combination I never have to clear as not a drop of water enters.

oceancrest67:
One point extra point for men...make sure you shave well before a dive trip...whiskers tend to let water into the mask up through the mask skirt nose area.

I have a beard, moustache, and sideburns. I can't honestly say they've ever created that problem for me, but I can certainly see how they might under certain conditions.

I'll have to keep that in mind if something like this ever comes up for me. Thanks for the tip!!

I first put my mask on, and then the hood. Works great, and I can't accidentally loose my mask.

H2Andy:
hmmm.... Mel, it sounds like you are diving with your mask OVER your hood

have you tried putting your mask on first, then the hood over it? (basically
put hood on half-way, put mask on, finish putting hood on)

Ok.. this must be a Southern thing, cuz none of us Norther divers do this. :ice:

SubMariner:
Ok.. this must be a Southern thing, cuz none of us Norther divers do this. :ice:

LOL! I was thinking the same thing.

None of the divers out of our club do it either.

Canadian_Diver:
LOL! I was thinking the same thing.

None of the divers out of our club do it either.

Exactly.

BTW, love your avatar! :thumb:

Must Be. I wear the mask under the hood (You can see it at work in my avatar). Works quite well. :) Not going too far if a fin catches it.

Matt

Hey, I know some northeners that wear their mask under the hood. Seems like it might be a PITA getting in under your hood, but I'm going to give it a try. That is how you find out what works for you, just giving something new a try. If it doesn't work then I'll go back to cussing my hood/mask until I figure out the problem.

suthnbelle:
Hey, I know some northeners that wear their mask under the hood. Seems like it might be a PITA getting in under your hood, but I'm going to give it a try. That is how you find out what works for you, just giving something new a try. If it doesn't work then I'll go back to cussing my hood/mask until I figure out the problem.

Depending on the width of the mask and how the straps run I've heard that it can cause some leakage at the face seal. I guess it depends on your face, mask and hood. In milder water's it's probably a non issue. I'll give it a try sometime!

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom