Mask for a big old face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Dorgan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I know this question has been asked before but not for a while I don’t think so hopefully there are more on the market.
I’ve got a big old moon face and struggle to find a mask that fits well and looks ok.
I currently use a Sherwood oracle which is ok but they are hard to find. Any help greatly appreciated.

I have had good luck with the ScubaPro TruFit masks. The one I have now has been discontinued, but I think the Synergy Twin is the current model. Must have TruFit as part of the name. Something with the skirt.

I have a big old face, too. I swear by the Hollis M1. I've tried a bazillion other masks and found that this is the best one for me.

I have had good luck with the ScubaPro TruFit masks. The one I have now has been discontinued, but I think the Synergy Twin is the current model. Must have TruFit as part of the name. Something with the skirt.

This ^^^^^

I have a round face reflecting prosperity and good looks and these work for me :)

This ^^^^^

I have a round face reflecting prosperity and good looks and these work for me :)

I have a round face myself. A mask with a longer skirt below the nose was needed to cover smile lines. Too many masks these days have short skirts there. See avatar photo for mask. And once you find one that fits, buy multiples. I have about 4 of mine.

You’ve limited who can see your profile which includes your avatar!
Can’t see it even next to post? Well here’s a better photo anyway. Very comfy mask. Not cheap but worth it.

Attachments

• CB7572E5-BA00-4826-8C25-26D72937AA58.jpeg
    CB7572E5-BA00-4826-8C25-26D72937AA58.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 56
I think the general consensus here is that you have to try lots and lots of masks until you find the one that doesn't leak. Unless you are one of the blessed ones and you get it right on the first try. I bought a ton of used mask types / shapes from ebay and brought a few on the boat each trip to try. Ended up leaving most of them with the dive op and crew but finally settled on the M1.

Sorry but there really is no scientific method. One note, though. When you are trying on masks, make sure you have a mouthpiece in your mouth so your face is the shape it will be underwater.

Back
Top Bottom