Mask fogging problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a lot of problems with fogging and was told either to scrub it (which I did, repeatedly) or to just flood the mask and deal with it. The latter was not an option because I am terrified of getting salt water into my contacts. I thought after two or three scrubbings with toothpaste I'd be set--also incorrect. Over a week or two I scrubbed the lenses maybe seven or eight times. Now I only need a little spit to keep my mask clear. One coat of defog will last three dives, easy.

Im gonna start carrying a tube of toothpaste in my gear bag

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but take a lighter and lightly burn the film off of the glass. Don't worry about melting the mask, the lack of O2 will prevent that. Once you have it black and sooty, wash and rinse.

Before getting in the water, apply a few drops of baby shampoo.

Works like a charm.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I personally like using soft scrub gel formula. Or the stuff you can use on glass top ranges if you are out of soft gel lol. Spitting? I usually dont have enuff moisture in my mouth when I dive to spit in my mask. Especially after the long walk from the car to the water!

Divers had this problem dating back to the 1950's and the solutions were varied; from spit to rubbing with a cigar stub. These simple measures were generally all that was needed. Continuing until more recent years, no initial cleaning was needed, the diver just rubbed in some no fog or spit and jumped in. In the past decade, something has happened in the manufacture of glass which calls for more radical intervention including preemptive treatment of a new mask. Following that, if more than a spit wash is needed before diving something is wrong, the glass is still contaminated. Recently, I've been cleaning a new mask with Starbrite liquid rubbing compound. After this the mask is still dirty with residue from the compound so I use baby shampoo or other stuff like toothpaste to remove that. The mask is spit washed and rinsed under the faucett. Then, I exhale into the mask. A clean mask will show no fog or a tiny spot of fog somewhere at most. When the mask shows no fog the job is done. After that, at the beginning of the diver's day, a spit wash should be all that is needed for the life of the mask.

About the burning, I have heard this but not tried it.

"Whatever floats your boat", even if voodoo. Not knocking the various remedies but I would like to comment on the science.

Whatever is on that glass is not silicone, rubber residue or anything similar. It is not a protective coating for packing, storage or handling purposes. Whatever this substance is, powerful solvents will not remove it.

The "coating" has a molecular bond to the glass meaning even smooth glass is porous when viewed under an electron microscope. The coating has entered these niches and thus, seems to be more like an electro-plating than coating. If this was intentional, it has nothing to do with protecting the glass but may be an ultra violet filter, anti-glare or something of that sort.

Keeping the strap away from the lens is nonsense.

Glass is extremely hard and unless your softscrub or toothpaste contains something like carbide or diamond dust, abrasives will have no effect beyond polishing during which it may or may not lift up some of the mystery coating.

IMO, Pesky

This might be an appropriate time to consider what one of the mask manufacturers has to say about mask fogging before someone damages a perfectly good mask with some of the home brew remedies that have been bantered about...

"Mask Care and Maintenance
Care Before the Dive:

During the manufacturing process, a thin film of silicone will develop on the glass lens. This film of silicone will cause rapid fogging that is resistant to conventional anti-fog measures. It is important to remove this film of silicone from the lens prior to your first dive. To remove the film you will need to scrub the lens inside and out with a mild abrasive. A paste toothpaste is ideal but a liquid scrub will also work. Rub the cleanser into the lens with your fingers several times and then rinse clean thoroughly.

Mask fogging is a normal occurrence, even after the film of silicone has been removed. Normal fogging can be easily prevented with after market anti-fog agents or saliva. Rub onto the lens and then rinse. Your dive will now be fog free!

Some after after-market anti-fog agents contain formaldehyde, alcohol, or other substances that may damage the plastic materials used in your mask. If unsure, avoid prolonged exposure of the anti-fog agent with the plastic parts of your mask."

source: Aqua Lung: First to Dive

OK, so that was straight from the horses mouth and they ought to know since they manufacture a ton of masks and they are certainly aware of what kinds of contaminants come into contact with the lens during their manufacturing process.

One thing I found out with the mask defogger I use (IST brand) is to apply it 15 to 20-minutes before you get in the water. I spray on the defogger and rub it down so the entire inside glass surface is evenly coated. I then leave it to dry which is about the time I start the dive. I also used spit before but I stopped it. It works very well but when people on a dive boat start looking at you with a look that says, eeewww...well you know the rest of the story. This happened to me on a dive boat in Mexico. So, now I do it the sanitary way...use a mask defogger.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom