Mask fogging problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
3 of my last 4 dives my mask has really bean foggy and interesting enough more on one side then the other. I have tried mask defog, lots of spit and it stills fogs alot. What works great is that I flood my mask and poof instant vision, but with in 2 minutes it is fogged bad again, any ideas?? I am tired of flooding my mask all the time. about 10 times I flooded it to defog it last dive.:(

A buddy of mine has a tough time with mask fogging. He solved his problem by washing his mask thoroughly after every dive day, and often washes it between dives as well [with a jar of soapy water, than a jar of fresh water to rinse]. He of course uses mask defogger as well...

Masks, when new have a coating on the inside of the glass, use a non abrasive toothpaste, squeeze some in the mask and rub it with your fingers all over the lens for a few minutes, give it a good wash then a good load of spit before each dive should solve your fogging problem

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

To expand on the cleaning with toothpaste I have also found that every so often it helps to do it on masks that aren't new. Occationally my mask starts to fog bad and I use the toothpaste again. This usually clears it up.

Hope this helps.

Chad

Another thing that you may want to check is to see if you are breathing out through your nose a little on exhaling. This will also cause the mask to fog almost constantly.

Start with a dry mask. Put in soap (any kind - dish soap works best, but no more tears won't burn your eyes and it works very well too) rub it around. Let it set at least 12 hours.

Put me down for toothpaste. Just before each dive, I put a small amount of non-abrasive toothpaste on the inside part of the lense and spread over the lense completely. Rinse and away you go. I've never had a mask fog on me yet. The small toothpaste tubes you often get on long flights or at hotels are very convenient as they'll likely fit in most mask boxes. Good luck !

Toothpaste is the usual recommendation, but other mild abrasives work well. Every month or so, I use Soft Scrub household cleaner to clean away any accumulated gunk on my mask. Clean as a whistle, and no fogging.

same as Drew Sailbum. Works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom