Mask fogging problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Clean all interior surfaces with Softscrub. (Including the skirt).
2. Rinse very well.
3. Dry the lenses.
4. Two drops of SeaDrops on the inside of each lens.
5. Spread around with thumb.
6. Quick dip to rinse.

Works great for 2-3 dives in a row (same day). By the fourth dive, I have to repeat steps 2 thru 6 or it fogs...

[I just broken in a new mask this way.]

Do you also have a problem with the mask leaking some by the corners of your eyes?

I had the same problem with fogging.
Tusa Hyperdry mask.
Cleaned it with aquafresh and the problem was gone.
And it smells minty fresh.

I've tried baby shampoo, most every drop and spray on the market, and even some anti fog for auto windows and bathroom mirrors. I tried different masks. I tried a nose clip. I still kept getting fogged up. Drove me crazy and it spoiled more than one dive on me.

A couple of years ago I was at a dive show and ended up talking with one of the mask manufacturers reps about the problem. I found his advice worked, for me at least, so I'll pass it along for what it is worth:

- Use the toothpaste as stated repeatedly in prior posts and use it often. Too often won't hurt the glass or the mask either. And YES bring it with you on your dive trips.
- Never store your mask with the strap or skirt touching the inside of the lens. Loosen it and pull it over the front of the lens. If you find your strap or skirt has touched the inside of the lens it is time to get out the toothpaste again. By "touched" I mean if even briefly it is time to get out the toothpaste.
- Read the directions for the type of drops or spray you intend to use, not all are applied the same way. In my case I have found that I prefer Sea Gold and they recommend applying it to a dry lens, then rinsed.
- If possible keep the inside of your lens flooded with plain water, not salt water, between dives. In other words don't let the inside of the lens dry off between dives. If the lens does dry reapply your drops or spray before each dive.
-At night if I'm storing my gear with the dive shop two items always go home with me... my mask and my computer. The mask gets a thorough cleaning and a good long soak in Dawn dish soap every night. Same thing when I get back home after each dive trip.

Yes, it is a little bit extra work, esp caring for the mask each night of diving. All I can say is that this routine has has worked flawlessly for me and I pass it along in hopes that it may be of help someone else.

Cold water will fog your mask quickly, this is my method and its worked on many masks that Ive owned, when they are new there is a chemical coating on the glass ,the best way to remove is by lightly running a lighter flame over the glass on both sides, let it soot up a bit and try to get all of it without getting close to the skirt, then take a Magic Eraser and rub it everywhere on the glass for a couple of minutes. Dont worry about damaging the glass as its tempered. To test if you've missed any spots just run cold water from your tap over the outside of the glass it will fog on any spots you missed.Try it it works evertime.

I used to have the same problem, and I too got tired of flooding and clearing my mask all the time. I've tried a couple different things and asked many people what to do, and as of late, I'm fog free. Toothpaste is nice, but it doesn't always clean the mask 100%. I used a dry dish detergent, Comet I think. You're not supposed to use anything really abrassive, but if you're gentle it doesn't scratch or harm the mask in any way. When it comes to getting on the dive boat and getting ready to do your dives, it's a little trickier. I've tried many different "formulas" and deffogers, but some seem to fail miserably. Right now I use SeaQuick. It cost 2.99 and it's a convenient little spray bottle that I'll probably lose before it runs out. :D When you get to your dive site just spray/pour/rub whatever defogger works for you into the mask, and spit into your mask. This is really important, because you do not want anything preventing your mask from fogging to dry on your mask (soap, defoggers, etc.). If it dries on your mask, in some cases, the mask may be foggier. After you apply the defog and spit, forget about your mask and get your gear on. When you're ready to get in the water, dip the mask in the ocean/a rinse tank/fresh water and you're good to go. Like I said before, don't let the stuff dry in your mask, it is not good! If you take a little longer to get everything together before you get in the water, you may want to save messing with the mask for last. Also, between dives, do the same thing. Apply defog and spit, let it sit, give it a dip and you're good to go, fog free.

Hope this helps. I know the pain you're going through right now! :wink: I used to have the same problem and it seemed like I was constantly flooding and clearing, and half the time I got water in my eyes and they burned the whole time I was down.

hey guys, this is my first post here - would like to say that this forum really rocks! helped me a lot in my fogging mask problem.

here is a link, 'Mask Fog No More', that summarizes a lot of what is being said, hope it helps!

:D

New masks have a coating to protect the lens. That must be removed. Some use soft scrub, others use toothpaste, but the bottom line is that it is sometimes difficult to get the layer removed.

I'd say repeat softscrub or similar treatments until the problem goes away.

Another cause of fogging is breathing through the nose. Nothing will fix this issue other than to stop exhaling through the nose.

K, I just noticed this thread is SIX years old!

Make sure when you scrub with toothpaste (that is what I used) you do it thoroughly! When I first got my mask it kept fogging. I sat down and scrubbed it for 5-10 minutes each lens. With a little spit I have not had a problem since.

Really good advice. Just to summarize what has been said by many and works for me:

1. Clean the lens and skirt of any new mask very well. It will typically take repeated application of toothpaste or other mild abrasive to the lens, and several washings with liquid soap to the skirt to remove the residue that causes fogging.

2. Number 1 will probbly need to be repeated for most masks, for at least the first several times they are used. As others have stated, it seems like the silicone in mask skirts continue to release something that adheres to the lens and causes fogging for quite awhile, despite several attempts to clean the mask/skirt. Don't give up! It will eventually get better, just keep cleaning it :D

3. Even after the "break-in" period is done, you still need to keep the mask very clean and store it properly.

4. A lot of different defog agents, including good ole' spit, will work just fine if you've done 1-3. Follow the directions for the particular defogger you choose.

5. Nothing will work if you are exhaling through your nose (and lots of folks do this unconsciously when they are starting out).

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom